Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

11 minutes ago, Morovir said:

@JReynolds Does this mean that Steel Soul is no longer happening? I noticed it vanished from the upcoming section of your Tinyletter last month.

At this point, I'm not sure. BL may decide to have someone else write it, or they may remove it from the schedule. I suspect they'll have someone else pick up the series, though perhaps not immediately. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, JReynolds said:

At this point, I'm not sure. BL may decide to have someone else write it, or they may remove it from the schedule. I suspect they'll have someone else pick up the series, though perhaps not immediately. 

That's a real shame. Thanks for all your work!

Chiming in to say that @JReynolds AoS books are great and all amongst the best aos books. Finished reading Dark Harvest a few days ago and it was great and inspired me to try an Old Stag themed sylvaneth. Loved Plague Garden and 8 lamentations. Now following you on Twitter so will read some of your non BL stuff!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Dark Harvest is my absolute favorite AoS novel, and it isn't even close.  One of my favorite novels put out by BL in years.  

Sorry that you won't be around the AoS setting (writing anyway) @JReynolds, but I am sure it will be ok.  I have had the Arkham Horror and L5R books (kindle version) on preorder for what feels like a year!

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JReynolds said:

I think it a shame, I don't think anyone else can  write gardus like you do.   

11 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

@JReynolds what is happening ? Is it BL that stopped the collaboration ??

It was a mutual parting of the ways.  My schedule has tightened considerably over the past twenty-odd months, and something had to give. Nothing sinister, just business. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

It was a mutual parting of the ways.  My schedule has tightened considerably over the past twenty-odd months, and something had to give. Nothing sinister, just business. 

Selfishly I do hope we see you back with the BL in future. Your books have been fantastic. I'll be sure to check out your other works too, of  course.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

Nothing sinister, just business. 

But many decades of Hollywood films have taught me that the most sinister thing in the world is business!!! ;)

• Like 4

Just a light laugh from something I was reading that made me chuckle.

8642B51A-E277-45C0-AAAF-526EEFBAD261.jpeg

• Like 1

Gargoyle vs Putrid Blightking, projectile vomit duel of the ages. xD

Finished Lords of the Dead, which includes both Undying King and Neferata: Mortarch of Blood.

I found Undying King to be very hard to get into - the book has been sitting on my nightstand since November because I started it and did not want to continue. It felt repetitive and predictable. The story picks up significantly about halfway through and is unique after that as more secondary characters are introduced and the story intentionally uses the forces of Death and Nurgle as narrative foils.

Neferata was enjoyable - I liked the intrigue. Some twists were predictable, but others I did not see coming. I think the best part are Neferata's writings in between each of the chapters, as they provide an opportunity to get inside the character's mind.

Reading Gloomspite now.

Why is hysh so tiny compared to the other mortal realms? 

9Wa6XdCo5Fu23iVL.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, xking said:

Why is hysh so tiny compared to the other mortal realms? 

Maybe it's because Hysh and Ulgu are twinstars that should create day & night for the other realms.

Another point could be, it is symetrical, so hysh could be crafted by a god the same way as the "Godwrought Isles" in chamon were, which became the "Spiral Crux" later.

36 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Maybe less of it is mapped?

After we already had this article Lumineth Realm-lords: Exploring Hysh it looks like the realm is only as big as in the article. It actually looks like the full realmview of Aqshy or Shyish we had before.

• Like 2

I think it's because this first "wave" of Lumineth seems to focus only in the Teclian Nations.
So I guess we might not get a lot of information about the rest of the hysh circle. since it's controlled by Tyrion who is not involved atm.

It seems big enough tho.

What makes you think it's tiny? Isn't that map just a part of the realm, not the whole thing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

What makes you think it's tiny? Isn't that map just a part of the realm, not the whole thing?

Most maps are only part of their  realm,  But look at how much that map takes up of the realm of hysh and compere it to how much the  The Great Parch map take up of Aqshy.     

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Very late to the party, but @JReynolds I'm really sad you see you go from BL! I'm sure bigger and brighter things are ahead but I've absolutely loved your AOS books. Will have to keep an eye on what you're up to next.

There is nothing saying Realms are the same size. Hysh and Ulgu could be smaller then other Realms or Aqshy much bigger. 

• Like 1

That only looks like two of the islands that make up the second ring of Atlantis, I.e. Hysh /Nuulthuan.  On most of the pictures they show us it says there are 10 of these continents.  And that is what they are.  Like 10 Europes spread in a concentric circle around the new island of the dead they got going on there.

9C5DFAC4-B12D-4140-B004-1EC7591FE517.jpeg

Posted (edited)

A thing to point out is Hammerhal looks like a regular city on the Aqshy map but it's confirmed to be a metropolis the size of a continent in it's own right.

So even if the map looks relatively small, in AoS an island(like those of Haixiah) can still house an average world map on it's own(nevermind those ocean divides that just look like rivers seperating Hysh's landmasses)*. Nothing in the Mortal Realms is small. ;)

*Edit: Actually if those "rivers" are close to ocean divide between America and Europe then those eight continents are probably each the size of a vast Americas(Alaska, north, south combined). Ymetrica might be a hint at that since it sounds like America.

I mean just look at Ghyran and it's country-sized trees.

Age_of_Sigmar_Greatstump.jpg

Three other factors that give the realm of light more expansion room than we're seeing are the the edges of Haixiah are said to contain lands beyond reach in the endless ocean of light which means new places forming as the realm expands outward like the rest do, the twilight realms of Geminid that exist between Hysh & Ulgu and that the Lumineth mark their aether sphere with "ship runes".

So there's hints of traveling to the sub-realms like that(and probably how they get to Slaanesh's void prison between the two realms) which can make Hysh as near infinite as the thousand floating continents that compose the realm of metal.

Edit: Oh, another possibility is just that the realm of fire by being more intense and outgoing than the other magics caused it to expand faster making one of the largest realms but also what the others will grow to one day as well.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 4

The Great Parch is stated to be the Size of Eurasia. So Hamerhal is massive, but not continent sized.