Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

Iron Dragon was just clunkily written. It was a trial to read, sadly. I read a lot and have experienced a lot of difficult but rewarding reads. Iron Dragon was just dull and weak. 

• Like 1

That's a bit ... worrying

For I was looking forward to the new Olynder book but now begin to low down my expectation

5 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

For I was looking forward to the new Olynder book but now begin to low down my expectation

Always read the book yourself, because you might have a different opinion after reading it.  

• Like 1

Well since I don't always have that time I choose to trust the opinion of comrades

I’ve just finished Profits Ruin and it was really good, better than the first novel. I’ve also come across a couple of Kharadron shorts by Werner which I liked. I’m becoming more and more fond of the crew in the book and I think b the author is fleshing them out a bit better. 

Random thought:

We all know it is OSB who is going to invade eightpoints

however, if we look at the monstrous thing at the back of the cover, doesn’t it look like some kind of realmgate?

And Archaon and force of chaos look like they are who stepping out from the portal rather than Bonereapers?

Will this mean in his wrath Archaon doesn’t only defeat the invasion but also leads a counter attack into Katakros’ territory, aka Gothissar?

A71E9CA1-75E5-4072-9AA1-70A070C15E3A.jpeg

On 1/16/2020 at 7:17 PM, Whitefang said:

Can you detail more? So far haven't tried Werner's full length novel yet and his short stories are personally on ok-level for me, I am now considering if to pick up the irondragon series as it seems to be the only novel focus on Kharadron at present, but still not sure if it is going to be worthy?

On 1/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, madmac said:

I don't have time for a long write-up, but let me say that I finished the book a few days ago and already a lot of the plot points and characters are hazy to me. Not because they were particularly convoluted, the book just didn't leave much of an impression.

I think it's probably a little bit better than Iron Dragon (not a well regarded book, mind) just because there's a little more exploration vs outright character stupidity and constant filler battles like the first book. Both books also have the problem that the antagonist is Tzeentch, so in both you have an entire novels worth of actions undertaken by the protagonists ending in a "just as planned, everything as I have forseen" situation.

If you're really hurting for some KO fiction there's..no real alternative really, and I don't want to leave the impression that the book is terrible, just fairly bland and "OK" overall.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, The World Tree said:

Iron Dragon was just clunkily written. It was a trial to read, sadly. I read a lot and have experienced a lot of difficult but rewarding reads. Iron Dragon was just dull and weak. 

Yeah, Overlords of the Irondragon was quite exhausting to read. It was maybe a little much on the "we are greedy duardin" theme.  Shiprats was just fine compared to that, but I haven't read Gravesend Gold or Profits Ruin yet (in case of the last one I want to wait until the paperback is released).

Some times I have the feeling C L Werner kills to many main characters in his main Stories. We have seen this in Overlords of the Irondragon and as well in The Tainted Heart which basicly killed of the chance Talorcan and Esselt Series with the first novel.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:16 AM, Whitefang said:

Like @xking I would say, make your own oppinion.

I mean, how often do we get the reaction "skip the stories" in case of the Realmgate Wars. I'm still reading the Second Omnibus of the Realmgate Wars (my mainproblem is basicly that there is way more text on each page than all other books (80 characters per line * 48 lines instead of the normal (60 characters per line * 32 lines), so it's basicly feeling like you don't get much progress). And even if most of those stories were battles, most stories have some quite interesting comments to the world, army structures or characters that returned in other stories after the Realmgate Wars (so for example that the Lord of Change named Prismatic King, who was in Overlords of the Irondragon, was first introduced in Scions of the Storm).

The statement of "skip the story" only lead to to the point that even the wikipages like lexicanum don't have the background included.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Yeah, Overlords of the Irondragon was quite exhausting to read. It was maybe a little much on the "we are greedy duardin" theme.  Shiprats was just fine compared to that, but I haven't read Gravesend Gold or Profits Ruin yet (in case of the last one I want to wait until the paperback is released).

Some times I have the feeling C L Werner kills to many main characters in his main Stories. We have seen this in Overlords of the Irondragon and as well in The Tainted Heart which basicly killed of the chance Talorcan and Esselt Series with the first novel.

Like @xking I would say, make your own oppinion.

I mean, how often do we get the reaction "skip the stories" in case of the Realmgate Wars. I'm still reading the Second Omnibus of the Realmgate Wars (my mainproblem is basicly that there is way more text on each page than all other books (80 characters per line * 48 lines instead of the normal (60 characters per line * 32 lines), so it's basicly feeling like you don't get much progress). And even if most of those stories were battles, most stories have some quite interesting comments to the world, army structures or characters that returned in other stories after the Realmgate Wars (so for example that the Lord of Change named Prismatic King, who was in Overlords of the Irondragon, was first introduced in Scions of the Storm).

The statement of "skip the story" only lead to to the point that even the wikipages like lexicanum don't have the background included.

Yeah, the Prismatic King was a treat, it feels good when a character or being you thought you'd never see again comes back.

Either way, I enjoyed "overlords of the Iron Dragon" and I just started "profit's run".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Random thought:

We all know it is OSB who is going to invade eightpoints

however, if we look at the monstrous thing at the back of the cover, doesn’t it look like some kind of realmgate?

And Archaon and force of chaos look like they are who stepping out from the portal rather than Bonereapers?

Will this mean in his wrath Archaon doesn’t only defeat the invasion but also leads a counter attack into Katakros’ territory, aka Gothissar?

A71E9CA1-75E5-4072-9AA1-70A070C15E3A.jpeg

Well if I remember correctly this invasion comes while Archaon is actually AWAY. So this is actually him returning to retake the all points.

They say this in the Warhammer community post about Katakros I believe.

Screenshot from Mr. Josh’s blog

Seems there will be a new Gardus novel

0D9897EA-4881-49C4-A469-D47EF9167C9D.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

I just finished the soul wars thanks to humble bundle. I have to say I really liked the characters. Balthas particularly being the always annoyed hardarse I would expect him to be. It was a really good book, looking at how sigmar and Nagash treat their soldiers and view each other.

i will say I hate how basically all the non-sacrosanct chambers jobbed out to the nighthaunt. After the first few battles it just became tiring to me. Blessed weapons and silver buckshot should have been enough to deplete the nighthaunt, and even the liberators where torn to shreds. It was a bit tiring of how easy the freeguard where torn down, and I was disappointed that some of the characters in the story have no resolution, like what happened to Vault or to Knossus. But, it was a fun story and I read that more than my polish history book so far, so that’s something.

I enjoyed Soul Wars too. I think Knossus was ignored because his part of the battle was told in the starter box? And the author didnt want to retread it like what happened in the Realmgate Wars books.

• Like 2

I liked Soul Wars, but Balthas Arum as a character I found a bit unlikeable. I am a huge fan of Josh Reynolds other AoS work but this guy I struggled to get behind.

2 hours ago, Realmhead said:

I enjoyed Soul Wars too. I think Knossus was ignored because his part of the battle was told in the starter box? And the author didnt want to retread it like what happened in the Realmgate Wars books.

Really? Is that what the starter set is about?

2 hours ago, Realmhead said:

Yeah, Battle of Glymmsforge, Knossus Heavensen vs Malendrak

It's worth noting though that the starter booklet doesn't tell that story, so much as set it all up and then let you play it out on the battle field yourself. I think that is why the novel needed a different protagonist, they were deliberately leaving Knossus' fate open, and letting each player decide for themselves.

Hello, i have heard thats our fav golden boi Vandus have been promoted to role of Lord Commander of Hammers of Sigmar. Thus being first named Lord Commander. But i cant find any story info thats confirms it. :/

Edited by Nizrah

@Nizrah Josh Reynolds mentioned in his newsletter last week that he has an AoS novel out this year called ‘Steel Soul’ so I presume it’s something to do with that...

EDIT: oh wait sorry he’s a Hallowed Knight isn’t he not from the Hammers of Sigmar. Ignore me (it’s easy to do).

Edited by JPjr

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Hello, i have heard thats our fav golden boi Vandus have been promoted to role of Lord Commander of Hammers of Sigmar. Thus being first named Lord Commander. But i cant find any story info thats confirms it. :/

Where did you hear that?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:26 PM, Nizrah said:

IT is said on Black pyramid 

• Like 1

Is there any new material on Gordrakk? I read Fist of Gork and the free short story on the website.

Nothing novel-wise I believe but the Orruk Warclans tome said he raided some Ghur Stormvaults and found the skull of a god-beast he's fashioned into a battering ram and the Tzeentch tome builds on this that the "City of Secrets" events has compromised Excelsis' defenses which Gordrakk plans to take advantage of.

So he should be getting material in the near future as Destruction keeps making it's move on the realms.

• Like 1

I've already posted these in the Lumineth thread, so apologies if you've already seen them there, but if anyone's interested I've recently started a blog series examining Teclis' complete publication, miniature, background and game history, from his first appearance in 1992 to the present day, ahead of the Lumineth Realm Lords release, which I'm currentlly about half way though:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/01/great-canon-teclis-part-1-origins-1992.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/01/great-canon-teclis-part-2-aenarion-1992.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-3-mage-trios.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-4-storm-in.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-5-founding.html

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2020/02/great-canon-teclis-part-6-new-origin.html

Please check them out if you're interested in High Elves or Lumineth, all feedback and any errors I've made more than welcome. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1