Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

9 minutes ago, IneptusAstartes said:

Assuming you don’t read Space Marines stories either, eh?

No, not really. Don't have any interest in the Imperium as a whole, Space Marines especially. 

Thanks for the suggestions :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Enoby said:

No, not really. Don't have any interest in the Imperium as a whole, Space Marines especially. 

Thanks for the suggestions :) 

Same, can’t stand the Space Marines (my username notwithstanding) but strangely I ended up liking the Stormcast way more after getting into their lore. *shrug*

• Like 1

People, the submission window is open for Black Library. Sent my sample, and I must thank greatly  @JReynolds for his invaluable tip in regards to the characters biography!

Also, @JReynolds congrats on your upcoming warhammer Horror novel!

Edited by KillagoreFaceslasha

On 8/26/2019 at 8:30 PM, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

People, the submission window is open for Black Library. Sent my sample, and I must thank greatly  @JReynolds for his invaluable tip in regards to the characters biography!

Also, @JReynolds congrats on your upcoming warhammer Horror novel!

Where was that tip?? Now I want to write something up!

Also, check those out. My body is ready.

0599CD3E-CD20-450A-A56A-244C65E0583D.jpeg

2FF27435-A8CD-4B0B-B788-A585BAD81FE3.jpeg

• Like 2

I've read on various sites that some of Neferata's maidens in The-World-That-Was could turn into cats (not just the one always accompanying her) - and that she tasked those with infiltrating houses of Empire cities. I haven't found a real source for these, could anyone enlighten me in which novel/army book/other publication there's info on these cats? I'd like to base my Legion of Blood background partially on those cats and a mirror image in Glymmsforge. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed

On 9/5/2019 at 8:02 PM, AHexInScarletRed said:

I've read on various sites that some of Neferata's maidens in The-World-That-Was could turn into cats (not just the one always accompanying her) - and that she tasked those with infiltrating houses of Empire cities. I haven't found a real source for these, could anyone enlighten me in which novel/army book/other publication there's info on these cats? I'd like to base my Legion of Blood background partially on those cats and a mirror image in Glymmsforge. 

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I think it's also mentioned in the Gotrek and Felix novel where they fight a vampire trying to steal something from a house they are charged with protecting. Not Neferata related but proof of concept if you will. 

Spoiler

The one that bites the heroine while trying to prevent it, setting off the whole storyline 

On 8/25/2019 at 5:24 AM, IneptusAstartes said:

Same, can’t stand the Space Marines (my username notwithstanding) but strangely I ended up liking the Stormcast way more after getting into their lore. *shrug*

Hamilcar is pretty charismatic. 

• Like 1

Do we know what order the new Gotrek stories are in? I've just finished the End Times books, so and quite keen to re-listen to Realmslayer and go through the "Gotrek and Malaneth" series from start to present!

From the ones I've already read I'm guessing its something like:

Realmslayer, One Untended, The Bone Desert,

but I'm not sure what order the new ones should be read in yet.

Edited by EccentricCircle

29 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Do we know what order the new Gotrek stories are in? I've just finished the End Times books, so and quite keen to re-listen to Realmslayer and go through the "Gotrek and Malaneth" series from start to present!

From the ones I've already read I'm guessing its something like:

Realmslayer, One Untended, The Bone Desert,

but I'm not sure what order the new ones should be read in yet.

Mostly.

-Realmslayer

-The Bone Desert/One Untended (The Bone Desert was released first, but it doesn't seem to matter what order they're read in. The Bone Desert definitely takes place before Blood of the Old World, as Gotrek is familiar with various AoS elements introduced in it)

-Realmslayer: Blood of the Old World

-The Neverspike (directly leads into Ghoulslayer)

-Ghoulslayer (references events in Blood of the Old World)

Hope that helps! :) 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Mostly.

-Realmslayer

-The Bone Desert/One Untended (The Bone Desert was released first, but it doesn't seem to matter what order they're read in. The Bone Desert definitely takes place before Blood of the Old World, as Gotrek is familiar with various AoS elements introduced in it)

-Realmslayer: Blood of the Old World

-The Neverspike (directly leads into Ghoulslayer)

-Ghoulslayer (references events in Blood of the Old World)

Hope that helps! :) 

Brilliant, thanks! that's precisely what I needed to know!
I interpreted Bone Desert as being after One Untended, since the relationship between the two characters is very adversarial in the latter, and its clear that they've not been traveling together very long. In Bone Desert Malaneth is a bit more resigned to Gotrek's belligerence, and their dynamic feels a bit more developed. Of course its hard to tell how much of that is deliberate character development, and how mcuh of it is different writers taking things in slightly different directions. It will be interesting to see how their relationship develops in the new books. I'm hoping to get time to start them during the week, so hopefully I'll know soon enough!

• Thanks 1

I rather enjoy how the pair have friction between them. Neither really "wants" the other there but at the same time they can't not be there. Gotrek is so out of his depth that he needs a guide whilst Malaneth has both her Queen, orders and her general duty to not let Gotrek roam the Mortal Realms alone! With Felix the friction came much later in the story and whilst Felix had his oath, he also enjoyed (in part) being with Gotrek (typically not when they were right in the thick of about to being killed). However in the end the pair did enjoy adventuring together. 

Another interesting point is we might actually see Gotrek coming a bit more out of his shell - in the old stories Felix drove much of the narration and story, with Gotrek being often quieter and more "RARR point me at em!". In the Realms he's got to do a lot of the talking and opening up of himself far more. I think its going to be present some new angles on him and also see him develop and change as a character. 

• Like 2

Even during the times of Chaos there were dangers in Sigmar's realm. Most notably I recall infestations of Orruks having to be purged from the land (or at least as purged as one can purge Orruks). Skaven also had a rumoured back door into the realm and got a heads up on the invasion starting when the Stormcast were unleashed. 

With more realmgates being thrust open it wouldn't be too surprising if someone else worked out how to activate one of hte Gates to get back into the realm; or launched a major offensive against one less defended gate and broke in .

On 9/28/2019 at 1:00 AM, Overread said:

Even during the times of Chaos there were dangers in Sigmar's realm. Most notably I recall infestations of Orruks having to be purged from the land (or at least as purged as one can purge Orruks). Skaven also had a rumoured back door into the realm and got a heads up on the invasion starting when the Stormcast were unleashed. 

With more realmgates being thrust open it wouldn't be too surprising if someone else worked out how to activate one of hte Gates to get back into the realm; or launched a major offensive against one less defended gate and broke in .

I'm still a bit unsure as to what does it mean for something to be purged from "the land" in Azyr. Have we ever seen what Azyr is like? Aside from having stars and a Treasure Planet sort of crescent city around the Old World... what is Azyr? Planets and moons? Would make sense.

Have just finished the lore part of the COS

Well, let's say I'm a bit disappointed about the book

I won't give  it a 'meh' level, but it's only  'ok'

Quite much content is what we already known and repeated from firestorm campaign book or former short stories/ novels.

There is indeed some new stuff but quite limited to several specific factions such as anvilgard and order serpentis

Nothing new about dipossessed, wanderers or shadowbalde etc. They just rectoned shadow warriors to make them shadowblade and pretend swifthawk agents never exist (strangely eldrich concil does get mentioned). Although flaggnent is in the book but no lore for Devoted of Sigmar—— kind of making sense because without witch hunter and warrior priests or even excelsior priest, flaggnent is the only Devoted unit, who would bother explaining  what they are?

The eventline in the book is which I believe to be the shortest one in 2.0 battletomes.

I also believe there is only one (living city battle scene) or two (if you count cover) new art in the book, the rest are just copied from WHFB and Firestorm.

Some funny contradictions also occured, such as saying 'Sigmar punished and killed  all those people with malice and cruelty  to purge taint in his realm' and later describing how dark aelves, aka Sigmar's close ally in Azry, are cruel and merciless.

Seraphon got mentioned in first several pages as allys of Free Cities but rulewise COS can't ally with Seraphon.

This book indeed helps to flesh out the setting a bit, however far less than I expected . For Sigmar's sake I still don't know how a day of normal man should be like in Hammerhal,  it's claimed to be a  continent-sized magical metorpolis with population over billions but only gives me a feeling that it is some random fantasy medieval city with elements of magic and steam punk.

Overall I am not satified with this book, it is still worth reading, but not good enough to change the hollowness of the contemporary setting.

BTW: JR's 7 short sotries are still gold and obviously my favourite part of the book, which actually flesh out how different races fight together, I especially like the one of Greywater Fastness with stubborn Dwarf Cogsmith.

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1

I'm quite delighted with Cities of Sigmar even though I totally get where you are coming from @Whitefang. I haven't finished reading the book yet but I can see that there is only snippets of new lore in there but for me at least they have been quite revealing. The book really gives a sense that these cities are tiny islands of order in wild and dangerous lands. I was disappointed Excelsis didn't make the cut as that is where my army is from but thematically the rules for Hammerhal seem to be well suited to representing them.

Yes, @JReynolds stories are fantastic and definitely a real highlight of the book.

Edited by Greyshadow

To celebrate the release of Cities of Sigmar, I have released a novel based around three new cities in the Mortal Realms.
(This is not an official GW product, so I will not be charging for it).
I have a limited run of print copies, which I will send out free of charge. If these run out, I will send out audio/ebook extracts instead.
If you'd like a copy, please fill in this form:
https://forms.gle/59Yo2pyMpLMa9mhy6
In return, I would appreciate an honest review (details in the book). This will help me attract publishers/agents for future work.

IMG_5683.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/5/2019 at 4:07 PM, Whitefang said:

Have just finished the lore part of the COS

Well, let's say I'm a bit disappointed about the book

I won't give  it a 'meh' level, but it's only  'ok'

Quite much content is what we already known and repeated from firestorm campaign book or former short stories/ novels.

There is indeed some new stuff but quite limited to several specific factions such as anvilgard and order serpentis

Nothing new about dipossessed, wanderers or shadowbalde etc. They just rectoned shadow warriors to make them shadowblade and pretend swifthawk agents never exist (strangely eldrich concil does get mentioned). Although flaggnent is in the book but no lore for Devoted of Sigmar—— kind of making sense because without witch hunter and warrior priests or even excelsior priest, flaggnent is the only Devoted unit, who would bother explaining  what they are?

The eventline in the book is which I believe to be the shortest one in 2.0 battletomes.

I also believe there is only one (living city battle scene) or two (if you count cover) new art in the book, the rest are just copied from WHFB and Firestorm.

Some funny contradictions also occured, such as saying 'Sigmar punished and killed  all those people with malice and cruelty  to purge taint in his realm' and later describing how dark aelves, aka Sigmar's close ally in Azry, are cruel and merciless.

Seraphon got mentioned in first several pages as allys of Free Cities but rulewise COS can't ally with Seraphon.

This book indeed helps to flesh out the setting a bit, however far less than I expected . For Sigmar's sake I still don't know how a day of normal man should be like in Hammerhal,  it's claimed to be a  continent-sized magical metorpolis with population over billions but only gives me a feeling that it is some random fantasy medieval city with elements of magic and steam punk.

Overall I am not satified with this book, it is still worth reading, but not good enough to change the hollowness of the contemporary setting.

BTW: JR's 7 short sotries are still gold and obviously my favourite part of the book, which actually flesh out how different races fight together, I especially like the one of Greywater Fastness with stubborn Dwarf Cogsmith.

Having not read firestorm, i'm liking it so far. It's exactly the kind of book i was hoping for- one I can build a super narrative army around. I like the rules for adjutants and retinues especially. 

On 10/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, Whitefang said:

---

The devoted are mentionend! There is a paragraph about cleaning the corrupted land with the blood of the faithfull. 

---

If you can get your hands on the Shadow over Hammerhal stuff, the rulebook helps with getting a feeling for the poor areas of the city (like the Cinderfall district, which gets mentionend in the CoS book). 

8b0b0552a155b748876eed1c014becc8.jpg.55feeb4aa1be0fe39cf826772215b37d.jpg

Edited by Gecktron