Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xking

The AoS lore and novels thread

I know it's not quite AoS lore, but Liber Chaotica seems to have been reprinted by BL: 

https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/liber-chaotica-hb-2019.html

I had no idea they were doing this but found Gifts for Geeks had some pre-order stock (whatever that means). Anyone know what the deal is with this reprint? Can't find any info on dates or anything like that anywhere on the web!

@hughwyeth it was on pre-order last week, released this week through normal GW channels. It's basically focused on being a completion of 4 books, one on each chaos god (in that time the Great Horned One wasn't considered part of that team) as well as a 5th section on chaos undivided. It's full of art and general lore on chaos. 

The reprint we are unsure if its limited or long term, but the GW store ran out of copies and many independent stores also sold out of stock so it might be that its a one time thing like many of their art books - only time will tell on that one. 

12 minutes ago, Overread said:

@hughwyeth it was on pre-order last week, released this week through normal GW channels. It's basically focused on being a completion of 4 books, one on each chaos god (in that time the Great Horned One wasn't considered part of that team) as well as a 5th section on chaos undivided. It's full of art and general lore on chaos. 

The reprint we are unsure if its limited or long term, but the GW store ran out of copies and many independent stores also sold out of stock so it might be that its a one time thing like many of their art books - only time will tell on that one. 

Thanks dude- I ordered mine fromGifts for Geeks and emailed them asking. Didn't read anything about it, just went to the BL site today to look at new paperbacks and saw it! Looks sold out on BL and GW, so I assume it's limited. The three shots on the BL site looks great, similar level of art direction to the big hardback End Times books. 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, Overread said:

Mine just arrived! Really impressive book

2 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Mine just arrived! Really impressive book

Mine came just the other day and and I agree its a really fun really well put together book. It really makes me wish GW would do publications like it long term not just one of bursts of prints because its really the kind of book a lot of fans would be into. It really draws you into the depth of the setting and even though its older much of it still stands in the mortal realms - though if GW did a fresh one for the mortal realms that would be really fantastic. 

For me art and lore books like this are honestly what sets GW apart from pretty much all the competition; that they've the resources and will to do it is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm a little confused with it- there's loads of 40k stuff! Even though it's written by an Old World character, there's loads of pages on traitor legions and stuff!

In other news, Soul Wars is coming out in paperback! I never buy BL hardbacks, so I'm glad it's coming- i know it's highly recommended!

Liber Chaotica is a sourcebook for both universes, written at a time when they were more closely connected. I think its supposed to be mad visions the author had while looking into the warp too long isn't it?

1 minute ago, EccentricCircle said:

Liber Chaotica is a sourcebook for both universes, written at a time when they were more closely connected. I think its supposed to be mad visions the author had while looking into the warp too long isn't it?

That's pretty cool - i know there's always been chatter about old world and 40k being connected but was a bit jarring to see it so explicit!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

@JReynolds

Looking on Amazon I saw "8 lamentations, the drifting city" listed there. Is it related to the 8L series? Did you get a second chance?

Nope.  I pitched a novel with that title earlier this year, but it wasn't commissioned due to scheduling issues. I won't be writing any more Eight Lamentations books for the foreseeable future. 

• Sad 11

1 minute ago, JReynolds said:

Nope.  I pitched a novel with that title earlier this year, but it wasn't commissioned due to scheduling issues. I won't be writing any more Eight Lamentations books for the foreseeable future. 

Aw pity. Well, here's for a possible revival in the slightly beyond foreseeable future.

But, are you working on anything else?

4 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Aw pity. Well, here's for a possible revival in the slightly beyond foreseeable future.

But, are you working on anything else?

I'm not currently working on anything for Black Library at the moment. I was feeling a bit burned out, so I'm taking a bit of a break from Space Marines and Stormcasts to write other stuff. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JReynolds said:

That's a real shame. Felt like the start of a great series to me. The whole party of mixed races was great, the scenes moving through city streets and seeing the different races interact, Nagash-Cults and all that was really great. The most grounded portrayal of the mortal realms for me- though I've only read about a quarter of the AoS books so far!

• Like 4

Has anyone read the neverspike? Interesting Gotrek story but I wonder if there is a prequel of it? For what happened to the main SCE character seems quite confusing.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:44 PM, JReynolds said:

I'm not currently working on anything for Black Library at the moment. I was feeling a bit burned out, so I'm taking a bit of a break from Space Marines and Stormcasts to write other stuff. 

A Free Peoples battletome perhaps? ;)

I would say that Gloomspite is dark. Well-written, but really dark. Don't expect anything to emerge unscathed. It truly emphasises the horror that the Bad Moon brings, and takes the Gloomspite Gitz around as far away from comedic figures as they could possibly get. It also goes into some detail about life in one of the Free Cities.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Morovir said:

I would say that Gloomspite is dark. Well-written, but really dark. Don't expect anything to emerge unscathed. It truly emphasises the horror that the Bad Moon brings, and takes the Gloomspite Gitz around as far away from comedic figures as they could possibly get. It also goes into some detail about life in one of the Free Cities.

Give me one example. Also use a spoiler tag.

2 hours ago, Morovir said:

Sounds like it’ll be  the perfect book for me😍😍.

5 hours ago, Morovir said:

Like, goblin slayer anime opening episodes level dark?

12 hours ago, Schulzy said:

A Free Peoples battletome perhaps? ;)

I'm not working on anything for Black Library or Games Workshop at the moment, so no. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good for you @JReynolds - some times we do need to step away and do something different to recharge those batteries.

On the topic of Free Peoples battletome - I collect Freeguild so yes, I really want one but if I am honest I am not sure GW are quite ready to do this yet. Personally, I'd love them to get the Beastclaw treatment where the existing models are kept but with new lore. Given GW have strived for Warhammer to be truely their own thing, I worry they see them to be too renaissance Germany rather than original IP ripe for further effort.

I don't see it this way though. I look at them models and see loads of skulls and flowing parchment and golden armour - I see Warhammer. From a narrative and literary device standpoint their mundaneness is a wonderful contrast that makes godly beings look even more godly.

Note, I am not complaining. The Free Peoples have definitely got some love in the General's Handbook and in Black Library books. Long may it continue.

P.S. I am sure a lot of people would love an entirely new range of models that are built from the ground up to fit the new setting. I'd like to see this too. I think the current range has a place though.

• Like 1

How do people think of Gloomspite?

To me it is scary enough and does have some great narrative descriptions of grots, but I just feel the whole story is too short and ends in a hurry.

I also think many characters in the story have great potential, but their ends are not that satisfying. 

Well, overall it is pretty grimdark and 'warhammer'.