Tzaangor-heavy: Beasts of Chaos OR Disciples of Tzeentch?

Hannibal

Depends on the play style you prefer. If you don't include a lot of spell casters the Beasts have a better summoning mechanic but I'd say the Tzeetch aligence ability is better than ambush and herdstone combined. 

Beasts are generally better for high movement and combat threat, but don't have any (good) Tzaangor battalions or quality casters.

You can of course put together a Phantasmagora of Tzeentch and switch between alliances, but I'd say it's not very competitive (you don't get much for those 200 points).

Given you know you want lots of tzaangors, I'd buy those models and then try them both. Especially if you are thinking tournaments the practice with your chosen troop will win you more games than the perks of either rulesets both of which are reasonable and solid. It also will add lots of variety which is one of the benefits of chaos

Both are solid options - I think you have to look at what bonuses you want outside the Tzaangors. I play primarily BoC but some DoT as well and often run Tzaangor heavy lists. I far prefer the herdstone, great frays, BoC spells and traits, etc. to the DoT options personally. I think the BoC summoning really helps offset the points investment of Tzaangors for example - you can summon in good cheap chaff usually on turn 1 or 2 to help take advantage of the gaps Tzaangors will inevitably create. Also if you get an opponent inside the herdstone aura it really boosts Tzaangor offensive output. However fate dice are a powerful mechanic that can turn games on their own. I think its really a matter of examining both allegiances and discovering which one suits your goals. 

I will say that the most successful Tzaangor & Enlightened on Disc setup right is Dan Bradshaw who is playing them as BoC. 

Both are strong just depends on how you prefer to play. BoC is far more aggressive but also more vulnerable. 

Personally, I'd run them as DoT because I love having the Destiny Dice while Fold Reality can completely change the game on a big unit of Enlightened. Also I'm fond of Tzaangor Coven as a battalion. 

But if you'd prefer to have a Tzaangor army built around slamming into your opponent extremely fast with a ton of hitting power BoC does outshine DoT in that regard.

I too am wondering the same thing here! Tried them with beasts of chaos yesterday and the herdstone is really helpful for keeping them around (ruddy low bravery...) though with DoT you do also get access to some of the non beast mortals if you wish to use them (I know I like them) such as curselings, acolytes and the ogroid.

If you're just doing pure tzaangors then it could be worth trying out both and seeing which you like more. I've never liked destiny dice all that much myself but that's because I'm bad at knowing when & when not to use them. Good for skyfire sniping though.

Archived