Sigmar's armies pre-stormcast

Had anything much been written about the nature of Sigmar's armies during the age of Myth or Chaos? I'd be interested to hear of they were human, and if so, humans of what nature/culture. Assuming that they were not Oldhammer Holy Roman Empire inspired Empire soldiers, does anyone know who or what they were?

There's a few stories about them here and there - Inferno 1 certainly has at least one that I recall. 

Basically Sigmar's armies then were the same as they were in the Old World - humans. The only difference being that in the Mortal Realms Sigmar is about the only major human god (that we've been introduced too). So he's basically ruling the roost for most of the human race. Also whilst he had his believers and worshippers it wasn't quite the same as it is with the Stormcast. Stormcast are HIS 100% - reforged and remade for his use, essentially his own angelic army.

Human wise it was more loose as he's a god and they mortals so many kingdoms would have allied at his call, but not all; and many would have had their own armies, own boarders and own boarder wars and the like. 

The important thing to remember is that the end of the Age of Myth was mostly when the gods walked the realms and went around beating up godbeasts and the like; paving the way for a golden age where the peoples could live in safety and freedom. Fighting their own wars; building their own cities and the like. The Chaos Age hit fast, very fast and with a huge army on multiple fronts. There were other factors too such as the pantheon of gods breaking down their alliances so Sigmar couldn't call all to his side to rally them fast enough before Chaos swept over too many lands. The Everqueen went into hiding; Destruction went rogue. So Sigmar closed the boarders of his own Realm and left the others to basically burn with Chaos - the peoples left behind standing as best they could,but in general falling in most places.

Heck more than one empire is shown to be basically "Empire" from the Old World - knights and steeds and steamtanks.

One thing that I think is interesting is that its not expressly highlighted if the Golden Realm of Sigmar is inherently different to any other realm, save that its the one he chose - much like the Everqueen chose her own realm as well. So whilst his warriors are like angels sent from heaven its not quite how we'd think of it on Earth as Heaven being a totally separate reality to our own. 

Another important aspect is we that I don't think we know the full extent of how keeping the Stormcast functional might tax Sigmar's own core power. Of all the gods he's certainly flashing around with the most raw power it would seem and directly using it; but we've no idea of the mechanics of it. 

Archived