Seeking newbie Legion advice

Regulus

Glory to Nagash! I own the Nighthaunt side of the starter box and found a buyer for the Stormcast stuff. It was suggested seveal times that I might enjoy playing Legions of Nagash more than pure Nighthaunt, and looking at the rules I indeed like them a great deal more. I looked up the FAQ to see what units/heroes are are available and just had a few questions before I get started with them.

-I see four basic battleline options (plus some extras depending on Legion). I was just curious what the basic pros and cons are of Chainwrasps vs Skeletons vs Zombies vs Dire Wolves, and what are good sizes to run of each. Also, since zombies have no actual armor save to increase, is it correct to say they can't benefit from mystic shield at all?

-If I ally a Nighthaunt wizard, do they still get access to the Nighthaunt spell lore? If they have an innate power that buffs the Nighthaunt keyword does it work on Legion Nighthaunts? I'm still digesting the ally thing.

-I haven't messed with endless spells yet. Are there any in particular I should keep an eye on as a Legion player?

-Is any legion easier for a new player? I was drawn to Nagash's just for the extra regeneration and potentially Grave Guard battleline, but I have no idea just yet.

Thank you for any help, still super new to AOS.

19 minutes ago, Regulus said:

-I see four basic battleline options (plus some extras depending on Legion). I was just curious what the basic pros and cons are of Chainwrasps vs Skeletons vs Zombies vs Dire Wolves, and what are good sizes to run of each. Also, since zombies have no actual armor save to increase, is it correct to say they can't benefit from mystic shield at all?

Dire Wolves are the fastest and most compact unit we have for battleline. One of our better units to sneak and objective. Also deceptively durable for thier points value with recursion factored in.

Skeletons are a blender. A 40 man unit with spears can potentially throw out 400 attacks with all possible buffs in place.

Chainrasps bring flight for some mobility options, are faster than skeletons, and far more durable. They don't hit as hard though.

Zombies need to be built around to work. They don't really do much if you don't.

-If I ally a Nighthaunt wizard, do they still get access to the Nighthaunt spell lore? If they have an innate power that buffs the Nighthaunt keyword does it work on Legion Nighthaunts? I'm still digesting the ally thing.

No. Allies get nothing allegiance wise (not even deathless, gravesties, etc). Also note that not even the Guardian of Souls gets an extra spell, even though he is not an ally.

-I haven't messed with endless spells yet. Are there any in particular I should keep an eye on as a Legion player?

That is going to be entirely build dependent. Nagash likes Spell Portal. Legion of Night can get some use out of Cogs. Its mostly a taste thing.

20 minutes ago, Regulus said:

-Is any legion easier for a new player? I was drawn to Nagash's just for the extra regeneration and potentially Grave Guard battleline, but I have no idea just yet.

Grand Host and Legion of Sacrament are both much stronger and easier to play than Night or Blood.

Thank you :)

What size units do people find best with Chainrasps? Is it a bad idea to mix Chainrasps, Skeletons, and Dire Wolves for my battleline? What do zombies need to work, support units and such?

And if I'm understanding Allies correctly, I can include a Summonable unit as an ally from Nighthaunts like Dreadscythe Harridans that I couldn't normally take in Legions, but they can't be brought back by Deathly Invocation?

Also thank you for the advice on which Legions to start with. I'm sure I can give them all a try easily but I'll start with those two :)

2 hours ago, Regulus said:

Thank you :)

What size units do people find best with Chainrasps? Is it a bad idea to mix Chainrasps, Skeletons, and Dire Wolves for my battleline? What do zombies need to work, support units and such?

And if I'm understanding Allies correctly, I can include a Summonable unit as an ally from Nighthaunts like Dreadscythe Harridans that I couldn't normally take in Legions, but they can't be brought back by Deathly Invocation?

Also thank you for the advice on which Legions to start with. I'm sure I can give them all a try easily but I'll start with those two :)

People tend to run Chainrasps in 20s or 40s. Skeletons in 10s with sword or 40s with spears. Most run Wolves in 5s or 10s to keep them small and compact. Though some people do run them at max unit size for tarpitting, though they can be very unwieldy at that point. Perfectly fine to mix them. Zombies require you to take corpse carts, and need to be baby sat by multiple characters (Vampire Lords and Necromancers mostly) for the entire game to more or less function.

Allied summonable units CAN benefit from deathly invocation, Danse Macabre, and other such things as they only care about keywords, nothing else. They CANNOT benefit from gravesites, deathless minions, or other abilities graned through your allegiance rules.

Zombies need to be fielded in max force .60cal, with a vamp-necro-cart combo... then I had them eating a Bloodthirster in one round of combat.

He killed about 17 of them in between van hels, but gravesites and invocation with rerolling brought tears into my opponents eyes. (Terrible slow, but deadly tarpit of doom)

Else AverageBoss said everything, although I‘d rather field 5 wolves than 10 skellis...

4 hours ago, Honk said:

although I‘d rather field 5 wolves than 10 skellis...

A solid 5+ save, nearly impossible to fail a Moral test, high mobility, and saving 20 points.  Only loss is command, kick ****** deathrattle synergies, and a weaker regen.

Crazy talk Honk.  Hey everyone Honk has lost his marbles!  So crazy he’s hyper logical with his sanity.

If you are starting off then I would suggest Legion of Sacrament. But the Grand Host of Nagash is quite beginner friendly. Legion of Blood works well with Nighthaunt, skeleton from line with ghosts in ambush.

The abilities that effect Nighthaunt work regardless of the Death army. So if it says Nighthaunt then it works on Nighthaunt, regardless of if it’s in a Legion army.

3 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Hey everyone Honk has lost his marbles! 

Sadly I‘m not in the possession of any valid amounts of marble... I‘ll take that as some nativ speaker joke.

2 hours ago, Avatar Rage said:

If you are starting off then I would suggest Legion of Sacrament.

Easiest to remember and most forgiving of Legions, with a powerful buff nonetheless! The auto-resurrect is situational at most, so not that big a deal if you forget it.

GHoN for the Big Dude himself, getting Morghast to kinda work, guards as line and a bit of extra regen sometimes...

Night is also nice to play. With „the bait“ extra save skellis or guards can be quite tanky especially within cover. And the ambush has a lot of nice options in a bunch of scenarios.

The Legion of Blood is from my experience the most demanding. The extra attacks for knights and lords end in a very elite army, while the bravery mechanic demands the coordination of several elements to really perform. 

Archived