Your favorite unit model kit

I was just curious what everyone's favorite unit model based purely on aesthetics (i.e. not their favorite model to play with or to have in your army because it is so useful).  I don't want individual characters or behemoths as many of them are what people usually list as there favorite, I guess I am talking about any unit that is not a character and is more than one individual.  

I personally can decided between the Bloodreavers (Mad Max meets Conan) or the Chainrasps (Fantasia's Night on Bald Mountain)

Which ones does everybody love?  And apologies if there is a similar thread somewhere else.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nighthaunt are generally great, the Myrmourn Banshees and Bladegheist Revenants especially. The BRs as a unit look really great, they’re one of the most dynamic sculpts out there I reckon, get a whole unit all throwing their blades in different directions and you really get a sense of movement, like they’re these terrifying and destructive dervishes.

I have to say I have a big soft spot for a lot of Tzeentch models too, the Eyes of the Nine were one of the most fun ‘units’ I’ve painted for a while.

I’ve promised to treat myself to a box of pink and blue horrors once I’ve cleared my backlog, again loads of personality in the models, you really get the capering, madcap nature of those horrible little ******.

I did fancy some Kairic Acolytes as I enjoyed painting them but was disappointed when I saw the box was all male, one thing I’d love for GW to do is bring out smaller booster boxes for units like KAs with more diverse models to bulk up existing units.

Really hard to say but probably Plaguebearers. Its a simple kit but I just like the look and they're fun and quick to paint. I've got 60 of them I could see myself wanting to paint more in the future, something I normally can't say after painting so many of a model. Honorable mentions to Putrid Blightkings and Varanguard.

5 minutes ago, JPjr said:

The Nighthaunt are generally great, the Myrmourn Banshees and Bladegheist Revenants especially. The BRs as a unit look really great, they’re one of the most dynamic sculpts out there I reckon, get a whole unit all throwing their blades in different directions and you really get a sense of movement, like they’re these terrifying and destructive dervishes.

I have to say I have a big soft spot for a lot of Tzeentch models too, the Eyes of the Nine were one of the most fun ‘units’ I’ve painted for a while.

I’ve promised to treat myself to a box of pink and blue horrors once I’ve cleared my backlog, again loads of personality in the models, you really get the capering, madcap nature of those horrible little ******.

I did fancy some Kairic Acolytes as I enjoyed painting them but was disappointed when I saw the box was all male, one thing I’d love for GW to do is bring out smaller booster boxes for units like KAs with more diverse models to bulk up existing units.

Yes I would love to see some female Bloodreavers or even the early stormcast units with women as well.

That is a tough.  If we are talking about models that are currently in production then I would probably say the new Squig Hopper / Boingrot Bounder kit.  If we are talking all-time then I will probably pick the old metal Night Goblin sticking up his middle finger from the 1990s.

I really dig Enlightened/Skyfires as they're just sexier Tzaangors. Kairic Acolytes are also quite nice IMO. Varanguard are really great, although the bare head options are not to my liking (and at the moment I wouldn't use them anyways - but the models rock). Classic Chaos Warriors are great but still need an update due to them being a bit short and very static but the general design of Chaos Warriors has always been iconic. I also have a soft spot for Chaos Spawn (I love stuff like The Thing or Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Deadspace too, I guess I just like the grotesque horror thing), but the kit could be much, much more than it is. Their daddy, the mutalith, is awesome too.

Outside of Chaos I love the new Gobbos (especially the Squig riders), Nighthaunt got a few great kits (basically anything ghostly), Stormcast also got a few great units (I love the battlemages) and Sylvaneth (I especially like the Tree-Revenants as they totally remind me of Nuada from Hellboy). DoK are nice minis as well.

If it comes to characters, I love the gaunt summoner. Him and the Curseling are my favorites so far.

Order: Vanguard-Hunters, Demigryph Knights and Lion Rangers.

Death: Grave Guard and Vargheists.

Destruction: Brutes and Ogors are fine, but Squig Hoppers (and Boingrot Bounderz ofc) steal the show.

Chaos: Varanguard. They are the epitome of Chaos Warriors. Regular Chaos Warriors are cool too.

10 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Oh gosh, this is really hard. Even though I don't collect this faction (at the moment), nothing has blown my mind like...

The Eidolon of Mathlann - Aspect of the Sea

image.png.2818b893346c3beb43c7176cae9f2506.png

Oh my word yes- I like the entire faction (except the thralls) but the Eidolon is just something else. 

Other stand outs for me are Grundstock thunderers and the arkanaut Admiral , and the sisters of the watch.

Archived