Your favorite unit model kit

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a pre-AoS pick, Ogres.

It's one of the oldest kits out there that still looks excellent and AoS worthy.  I love the lumbering lunks, and the sprues offer an endless array of customization options which are nonetheless a joy to put together (I was always partial to the ironfists). The fact that the base ogre body sprue is the same across bulls, ironguts and leadbelchers could have resulted in boring uniformity, but it really works, and I would not be mad if they released a new AoS ogor unit which used the same body sprue as a basis. 

2 hours ago, chord said:

Lord-Relictor

He was the first Hero I ever painted. After doing the 2 units of Liberators from the first box (and Steelheart's Champions from Shadespire), I thought it was time for a challenge, and he was something!

In terms of unit and not Hero, my favorite kit so far has been Skullreapers--so many horrific options, and I love them!

Witch elves/Khinerai/Melisa I are great as shown. Lots of detail but quick to work through and still look great.  

I also love the heavy armoured dwarves units (ironbreakers/endrinriggers) 

but my favourite kit is the kairic acolytes. The bits, the posing, the absolute endless opportunities for conversions. I love that one. 

The one I’m looking forward to the most are blightkings. Good to see the positive remarks about them. 

Recent models: the Bladegheists and the Grimghasts are absolutely amazing. Even if they's pretty much just fancy monkeys in a barrel.

Guilty pleasure: Skaven Doomwheel. I loved Skaven 20 years ago because of the pure stupid insanity that is the Doomwheel, and that had not changed when I came back to the hobby 2 years ago. It encompass everything Skaven in a single crazy contraption. I love it.

2 hours ago, Klamm said:

For a pre-AoS pick, Ogres.

It's one of the oldest kits out there that still looks excellent and AoS worthy.  I love the lumbering lunks, and the sprues offer an endless array of customization options which are nonetheless a joy to put together (I was always partial to the ironfists). The fact that the base ogre body sprue is the same across bulls, ironguts and leadbelchers could have resulted in boring uniformity, but it really works, and I would not be mad if they released a new AoS ogor unit which used the same body sprue as a basis. 

That’s fair. To be honest, I’ve probably bought more boxes of ogors than any other single box, and I have kitbashed most of them, and still find new ways to do it.

I do think it’s only really possible with the multitude of bits you also get from all the other ogor kits though, unless you’re a keen greenstuffer, which is why I couldn’t choose a single ogor kit; but I totally applaud the choice. The old ogre kingdoms battalion box was simply awesome.

Order:

Namarti Reavers are a really cool kit and I dont even collect them. Love that theres a healthy mix of male and female. Hope to see this trend continue across multiple factions. 

The Dracolines are an amazing sculpt! The creature design, imo, is stellar and feels like a real animal.  A lot of GW designs stray too far from anatomical correctness sometimes but those are ace!

Chaos:

Blightkings are great!  

Death: 

Vargheist... Even though 2 out of 3 have anatomically incorrect wings, they are a really cool kit. 

ALL of Nighthaunt is just stellar! 

Sepulchral Guard.... These alone have stopped me from buying anything skeleton as those just show that whatever comes next for Deathrattle, be it an update or new units, is going to be amazing!

Morghast are a great kit.

Destruction:

Brutes are an awesome kit and I can't wait for future updates to Ironjawz.

Rockguts are fantastic! 

I do really enjoy the old gitmob grots for some reason even though all their archers are lefties... 😅 and the kit definitely showed its age but the design was great especially the faces!! (Hoping that the much hinted Grotbag Scuttlers become Gitmob MKII with giant bats for raiding instead of wolves and some sweet ramshackle war machines.)

Just a few off the top. 🙂

There's heaps of great looking models. Tons of individual characters with heaps of personality. 
A lot of the latest stuff is amazing. I like Reikenor the Grimhailer. I like the Skaven Grey Seer. Some of the FW primarchs are amazing!

But in terms of an excellent all round kit, the recent Rockgut Troggoths are a standout. 
There's so many extra bits that you can build at least 12 different poses/combos out of a 3 model kit. 
It's a call back to those big multi-part space marine veteran boxes where you get a ton of special weapons and all sorts of extras. 
A lot of recent kits haven't done that in quite a while. 

Kurnoth Hunters were probably the last similar kit that had all the weapon options and spare bits, but even then, you didn't really get much choice in terms of poses and flexibility. Just some arm swaps and unit champion extras. 

In comparison, the whole nighthaunt range is single pose. There's not a single miniature in that whole range that gives you any options or spare parts outside of a weapon swap (guardian of souls) or a head swap (spirit torment). 

I'd love to see a return to the Troggoth type kits. That's the kind of hobby I love, customizing and building something unique. 
I still convert lots of things, but I'd like a lot more variety, especially on the base units. Converting a centerpiece model or a character is easy. Converting 40-80 basic troops so they don't all look the same is annoying. 

Since you've specified units!

I've only started playing/collecting since last year, but have khorne/IDK/SCE/BoC/Ironjawz/Gloomspite/NH armies. So far my favorite units have been the following (mostly new models, sorry!):

IDK: Namarti Thralls: these sculpts are pretty amazing imo, and their poses are awesome (around half of them also have a double handed polearm vs. a 2h sword choice). They were a pain to build due to how small the pieces are, but I'm pretty impressed with how nice and dynamic they look once assembled.  (Having both female and male models also help break monotony, and they are each posed differently)

Khorne: Flesh Hounds/Karanak: these are what made me eventually expand into Khorne after the Wrath/Rapture set came out. Once again, very detailed pieces with dynamic poses (this is probably a trend for me XD). Models are designed well so that the gaps are minimal or are less noticeable (a major issue I've found with older models, in particular BoC).

SCE: Evocators: each evocator with staff is distinct and unique (staffs are all different!) and one of the few models with a dragon thingy in its hand! Having both females and males with different poses helps make each feel more interesting. 

Gloomspite: Rockgut trolls: Just... so..many...options! with 7~8 faces to choose from, multiple arms (though the seams are very visible and a pain to deal with). (close second, tie between dankhold troggoth (mainly because it comes with 7 or 8 minisquigs of different shapes/forms) and squigs (don't like squig seams, and theres only 10 faces for 10 squigs (was hoping for more)). 

Ironjawz: brutes by far were the more interesting (ardboyz and gore gruntas were a pain to assemble, and there weren't many options). 

TBH haven't been a fan of BoC kits (tzaangor enlightened were ok, but everything else felt like a nightmare, especially bestigors), and nighthaunts units were so-so imo (heroes were pretty nice, but in general, the models are way too fragile for my liking. Chainrasps and Grimghast sculpts are pretty fun to look at, but weren't really all that interesting to assemble).  (Take my criticism of NH with a grain of salt, since I started with 1 soul wars half and 2 tempest halves.. by the time i was doing the exact same sprues for 4x chainghasts and 3x for grimghasts, it was such a pain to slog through... )

My absolute favourite are now out of production. I really love the old Tomb Guard models, both the multi part plastic kit and the earliest metal ones.

i also really like night haunt, so they are a close second for Death.

for order its tough, since there are so many awesome models, i love Melusi, but the customisable battle wizards are also great.

for destruction it has to be squigs.

not really sure for chaos, but maybe the classic bull centaurs.

Eidolon of Mathlann is my favourite, the cloak is obviously amazing but the base details are really fantastic as well. I also quite like thralls, though they are a bit annoying to paint. 

For chaos I'd have to say I'm a big fan of Blood warriors. They have a look which I think is quite unique. 

I've never played enough death to have a favourite, I had some old rockgut troggoths in metal (now sold) and they were one of the first models I really enjoyed painting. 

For Order I'd have to say the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur, a badass mesoamerican themed dinosaur riding an even bigger badass dinosaur really plays on my childhood love of dinosaurs.

For Chaos it's hands down the Varanguard, I think they are the coolest looking chaos models that have been made so far and that's saying something because there are a whole lot of models I absolutely love the look of. I also have a soft spot for Chaos Warriors, they are one of the models that really got me interested in the world of Warhammer Fantasy as a kid.

Death I would have to say the Chainrasps, I love both the look and the lore of these little buggers.

And for Destruction I think it'd have to be the Mournfang Pack, there have been many times that I've been seriously tempted to collect BCR thanks to them.

I think Wild Riders take the prize for me. If they ever get decent rules, I’ll have to buy them! So far I’ve settled for the sisters of the thorn, as they are remotely playable. 

I also think tree revs, sisters of the watch and the lord aquilor all look are really cool!

As I said earlier my number 1 is the old Flagellant kit, but a close second are these guys.  The kit is so versatile that the whole FEC faction basically comes out of it. Plus I have built and painted over 20 of these bad boys and I am still always fighting off the urge to get one more box. 

99120207033_FleshEaterCryptFlayers01.jpg

Archived