Starting Skaven Army

Psychosis

Hi guys I'm new to AoS and the forums, I havent been involved in the hobby in 10 years apart from reading the various novels. Anyway, I figured I'd get back into it and as a long time ago I brought Island of Blood and exchanged the elf models for a second set of skaven I figured they'd be a good place to start.

So with that said I need some advice on building up an army with what I already have access to which includes:

2x warlord models, engineers, warpfire throwers, poison wind mortars(going to convert to ratling guns maybe?), packmasters.

4x Rat Ogres

80x Clanrats

Was thinking of getting 2x WLC and a VerminLord Warbringer and 40x Stormvermin

and making this list

Leaders
Clawlord (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Verminlord Warbringer (260)
- General

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Stormvermin (500)
- Halberd

1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

what you think?

Welcome back to the slaugther!

I'm no expert but I think your list is pretty solid! You have your bodies with clanrats and stormvemin, you have your horde destroyer with the warpfire thrower and character killer with your warp lightning cannon and engineer. However here are some suggestion:

- Why not using a verminus battalion? It gives you the ability to use the clawlord ability on all the battalion rather than one unit.
- Maybe switch the engineer for another clawlord to benefit from the command ability to prevent them from running away.

You will maybe be a bit short on leadership with this, adding a screaming bell or keeping some extra command points might be wiser.

But, all in all, I really like this list :)

2 hours ago, Psychosis said:

Hi guys I'm new to AoS and the forums, I havent been involved in the hobby in 10 years apart from reading the various novels. Anyway, I figured I'd get back into it and as a long time ago I brought Island of Blood and exchanged the elf models for a second set of skaven I figured they'd be a good place to start.

So with that said I need some advice on building up an army with what I already have access to which includes:

2x warlord models, engineers, warpfire throwers, poison wind mortars(going to convert to ratling guns maybe?), packmasters.

4x Rat Ogres

80x Clanrats

Was thinking of getting 2x WLC and a VerminLord Warbringer and 40x Stormvermin

and making this list

Leaders
Clawlord (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Warlock Engineer (100)
Verminlord Warbringer (260)
- General

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Stormvermin (500)
- Halberd

War Machines

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 169

what you think?

Welcome, welcome to the under-empire.

You have chosen wisely my friend, no chaos god is better then the great horned rat.

first of all your list of better said the bulk of your list is great, i’veused the exact same build (80clanrats, 2warpfire throwers, 40stormvermins a Warbringer clawlord) against many of my friends, and believe me those Stormvermins are hell itself  when protected and buffed.

the flamers will do damage that not even the stormcast are able to do in mortal wounds, perfect for slaying those nasty Infanterists.

now your shooting line consisting of 2warplightning cannons beeing supported by the warlocks will let your foes hero’s tremble in fear.

the only problem I’m seeing in your list is battleshock, which will be devastating, and since you really want to get those two tasty buffs, of the warbringer and clawlord on your Stormvermins, off you won’t have too many commandpoints left.

Still even so I would go for it and try it out a few times can be fun and if played correctly even devastating for your enemy.

@Navezof Thanks, I was thinking about a battalion but would have to drop something to reach the points, I wanted the engi's for the WLC's for that extra oomph when needed, though I might reconsider.

@Skreech Verminking Thanks for the advice, Having not played in years and only really ever played 40k I figured I'd try and go with the tactic of trying to fill up on nasty targets to try and get the opposition into choosing between a variety, as I used to in 40k. With that said both you and Navezof have said about battleshock, do you think if would be a good trade-off to drop both the engineers in favour of a Screaming Bell?

Archived