Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
passtheKhorneplease

Slogging through the Realmgate Wars

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Thanks for popping into the thread @JReynolds. It does feel like the Black Library management have learnt from their mistakes. Soul wars and Dark Imperium are the kinds of tie ins I like to read. It feels like you and Guy Haley were given a lot more freedom than in the realmgate wars. 

I was given quite a bit of freedom, yeah. Especially in regards to Balthas Arum. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 3/8/2019 at 3:41 PM, JReynolds said:

I was given quite a bit of freedom, yeah. Especially in regards to Balthas Arum. 

Really happy to hear that! Reading through the Black Pyramid  now and nearly swoon when read the fantastic fake name Manfred used!

Desperately looking forward to more stories about Balthas after finishing the new short story!

• Like 1

I read through the Realmgate Wars because I’m a sucker for lore and backstory. Some were definitely a slog but I still enjoyed the series overall.

Here are the stories I most enjoyed and why:

Fury of Gork by Josh Reynolds: Really interesting characters, including very three-dimensional ‘bad’ guys; fun, engaging and believable exploration of Ironjawz nature and culture; it’s quite fast-paced.

Stormcast by Darius Hinks (first story in Hammers of Sigmar book): Engaging, dynamic story in an interesting setting; I liked the story-telling approach - first-person narration alternating between different characters who were reasonably well-developed.

Warbeast by Gav Thorpe: I enjoyed it as a reasonably solid stand-alone story that explored the tension/link between a Stormcast’s mortal life and reforged life.

Gates of Azyr by Chris Wraight: Even though it’s basically one big battle report, it did a good job of introducing the AoS setting and starting to flesh out Vandus and Korghos.

I also enjoyed Thostos Bladestorm’s story arc even though none of the novels made the above list. A bit bummed they haven’t novelised his death.

Outside of the Realmgate Wars, here are some of my favourite AoS stories:
Nagash the Undying King by Josh Reynolds
Skaven Pestilens by Josh Reynolds
The Outcast by Josh Reynolds
The Lightning Golem by Nick Kyme
The Sea Taketh by David Guymer

On 3/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, JReynolds said:

Here's a 'how the sausage is made' moment:  A lot of this was due to us not knowing what the models looked like ourselves, at the time of writing. When that happens, it's just easier to gloss over it than to come up with a description that will inevitably get edited out due to not looking anything like the model in question. 

Black Rift was a bad one, because of that. I'd get just reams and reams of unit types with very little description and no pictures. And no one to answer my questions.  

Just finished C L Werner's 'Sacrosanct' this morning and thought of this when he describes, what are obviously meant to be, Glaivewraith Stalkers as Skaven revenants.  

• Like 1

Honestly everyone who sees Glaivewraiths thinks skaven when they first see them ;)

2 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Just finished C L Werner's 'Sacrosanct' this morning and thought of this when he describes, what are obviously meant to be, Glaivewraith Stalkers as Skaven revenants.  

Yep. Pretty much. It's also why I called Evocators 'Celestors' and Knight-Incantors 'Mage-Sacristans' in Soul Wars. My description of some of the models had different names when I was given the information. By the time someone let my editor know there was a change, the book was already at the printers. 

Granted, those slip-ups have also resulted in a more careful and thorough exchange of information regarding projects like Sacrosanct and Soul Wars, so, in the long run, they might have been a good thing. 

• Like 3

Hammerhal was better than sacrosanct imo.

Any chance we're going to get further adventures of Gage?

1 hour ago, flemingmma said:

Hammerhal was better than sacrosanct imo.

Any chance we're going to get further adventures of Gage?

Possibly. He might pop up in the near future, as a supporting character in a book. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

Possibly. He might pop up in the near future, as a supporting character in a book. 

He was cool as were his entourage. More witch hunters in AOS!

1 hour ago, flemingmma said:

He was cool as were his entourage. More witch hunters in AOS!

We should have at least 4 Witch Hunters at the moment.

1. Sol Gage  ( @JReynolds)
  2. Callis & Toll (Nick Horth)
  3. Talorcan & Esselt (C L Werner), even I see no chance for a sequel after "The Tainted Heart"
  4. Vertigan (Tom Huddleston), he is mentioned to be a witch Hunter in the last chapter of "City of Lifestone" from Warhammer Adventures).

But it would be really nice to see Sol Gage and his crew again.

3 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Yeah I was going to say, there are actually loads of Witch Hunters in the AOS novels! 

This doesn't mean we don't need more