The Problem of the Free Peoples and the Freeguilds in Age of Sigmar

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I don't see any reason why discontinued models like high elf archers or spearmen couldn't be used as freeguild soldiers. You could mix some Dispossessed or Wanderers or even Darkling Covens models in there with no problems, particularly if you did a little conversion work. 

I absolutely agree with you on this point. When it comes to playing the game just play WYSIWYG and use or convert the models you like. 😎

According to their warscroll, my Freeguild Guard models are armed with swords and shields. That's it. They are not "humans armed with swords and shields. They are models armed with swords and shields.

My Freeguild Guard has plenty of human models in it but also dwarves, aelves, halflings, goblins, and even a ghost and a skeleton! I've yet to meet someone who cares that my Free People are so multi-cultural.

I get the feeling that many people think GW has far more resources than they actually do or else that their job is much easier than it actually is. My money's on a Free People Battletome by the end of next year. But if you think all they need to do is "just" release a whole new line (or two) of models you're gonna be disappointed. That's a process that takes years from start to finish.

If I’m reading the Warhammer community post correctly several of the smaller factions will be rolled up into the freeguild as a single entity but your selection of realm and/or city changes exactly what units you can have available as part of your army. I’ll have to re-read it later after I’ve had my minimum daily recommended quota of caffeine. 

I’m already making mental lists of which model kits I suspect will get discontinued and debating if I’ll want them for kitbashing/bits (and finding lots of “yes”’s).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

The only kit I will be real upset if it gets discontinued is the freeguild archers and I haven't seen them in any pictures from the event yet which concerns me

That's my biggest concern too. It would be a shame since they're far better models in my opinion than the crossbowmen/handgunners. They have lots of character and come with a dying orc!

Oh well...if they go then my archers will just become "crossbowmen cosplayers".  I hardly have any crossbowmen as it is and more than 30 archers!

Still very excited about this new book! 😁

7 minutes ago, Kamose said:

That's my biggest concern too. It would be a shame since they're far better models in my opinion than the crossbowmen/handgunners. They have lots of character and come with a dying orc!

Oh well...if they go then my archers will just become "crossbowmen cosplayers".  I hardly have any crossbowmen as it is and more than 30 archers!

Still very excited about this new book! 😁

I like the archers better than the crossbowmen and guards too, but there are a lot of archers in other races mentioned as Free cities.

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Meanwhile at the dispossessed and wanderer topics...😫

1 hour ago, michu said:

Also saved. Case closed (at least for Wanderers, look at the WHU 3 teaser).

No support < GHB Allegiance < Combined with City-Slickers < Combined with Sylvaneth < Battletome: Wanderers

Not at all - we're one notch up from where we were yesterday and two notches up from when I dropped hundreds of dollars on the army in the first place. And if the WHU 3 teaser has anything to do with Wanderers [or aelves of a similar aesthetic] I'll be over the moon. Ultimately Wanderers players have already won because we have the coolest models and theme. 😋

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Not-not-kenny said:

The only kit I will be real upset if it gets discontinued is the freeguild archers and I haven't seen them in any pictures from the event yet which concerns me

I'm more concerned that the guy who is writing it wrote the Beasts of Chaos book.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:23 AM, Sete said:

I think you are mistaken.

Im not asking for super powered soldiers.

Im asking as an example, for a regular human army from azyr with shared visual elements with Stormcast (because it makes sense) where the only "Super Powered" dudes like warrior priests can invole the power of sigmar. Not asking for Thor.

I gave an example of an army of azyr, but whatever city or realms fits your fancy really. As long as its new.

I think they need their own identity. The stormcast sigmarine look is just awful. I love the old empire models. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saxon said:

I think they need their own identity. The stormcast sigmarine look is just awful. I love the old empire models. 

Like you said, the old. 

Even if they remained with the same look, crisp new models are needed.

2 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Agreed. Just not like stormcast. 

Let's agree to disagree.

If you have 2 factions from the same place with a completely different look and theme, things will look weird and out of place.

Like I said, I gave azyr as an example. People get too rustled.

Edited by Sete
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sete said:

Like you said, the old. 

Even if they remained with the same look, crisp new models are needed.

Well many armies need a revamp.

So I guess it’s best to wait and hope, since it looks like that the book probably won’t be bringing any new models to the range.

although I might be wrong and probably will be very jealous, since the skaven are as well in dire need.

although I’d be happy if they changed some of the free peoples esthetic, I’ll be hoping that the theme of the free people what was it 17th century something, stay as they are.