The Problem of the Free Peoples and the Freeguilds in Age of Sigmar

Just now, Sete said:

Let's agree to disagree.

If you make them too close to sigmarines then they haven't got their own identity. Im cool with new weapons and what not i just think its a dangerous game if they go to the effort of new models basing them off SCE. Some will like it, some wont.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Saxon said:

If you make them too close to sigmarines then they haven't got their own identity. Im cool with new weapons and what not i just think its a dangerous game if they go to the effort of new models basing them off SCE. Some will like it, some wont.

And if you want them too far off, like historical 17th century, they will feel out of place. A mix of themes, making something new, yet familiar would be the best choice.

I like great swords, but they do need a bit of Fantasy on them, or else we might just play pike and shot.

Edited by Sete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

At the end of the day the best thing about this hobby is that if you have a vision for how your dudes/dudettes look, and you want to follow your own crazy ideas, which imo Freeguild/people/cities is PERFECT for, then it’s all embracing and in fact the crazier your ideas the more likely to held up as exemplars of the craft.

I mean of course it helps if you’ve got some mad skillz but COME ON just look at these absolute beauties!

Edited by JPjr

5 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

The point of the mortal realms is that anything and everything is possible. Freeguild from the main cities will look like old Empire, likely because that's how Sigmar remembers them to be.

Anyway, it's established that the aesthetic is staying and nothing is going to change that. I think this discussion is over.

Its established by whom? you?  Its established until a new release hits. you are in for a rude awakening if you think the Empire look is permanent.

I do like the anything and everything is possible but lets keep it the same answer you have. Its so contradictory its funny.

Edited by Sete

I have some mixed feelings about the battletome.

It is nice to see that most of the forgotten factions get some sort of update (the wording of the old warscrolls is partly off, since the game evolved).

I still have to see how the discontinue of models will bite me.

I mean, my Tribesmen (that doesn't use an Fanmade battletome at the moment are mostly based on Freeguild + some other units):

• Freeguild General (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Battlemage (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Archers
  • Freeguild Greatswords
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Archmage (for a mounted model)
  • Reavers

The candicate that could most likely fall out are the reavers, because like the Plaguewind Mortar the models were only sold with the Spire of Dawn Box.

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:
  • Freeguild General (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Battlemage (on Foot and on Griffon)
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Archers
  • Freeguild Greatswords
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Archmage (for a mounted model)
  • Reavers

The candicate that could most likely fall out are the reavers, because like the Plaguewind Mortar the models were only sold with the Spire of Dawn Box. 

Archmage got a mounted model on the box. It contains one on horse and one on foot. They need diferences since using the one on foot have no advantage.

Not only Reavers are exclusive from Spire of Dawn i am afraid. Seaguard, High Warden and Plastic Swordmasters are also only sold on that box 😥

11 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Archmage got a mounted model on the box. It contains one on horse and one on foot. They need diferences since using the one on foot have no advantage.

Not only Reavers are exclusive from Spire of Dawn i am afraid. Seaguard, High Warden and Plastic Swordmasters are also only sold on that box 😥

I know that the Archmage has two versions, one of them with a mount. The only point why I have the Archmage in my list is because there is no mounted Battlemage on Horse (only the Griffon) and I wanted a mounted mage for a fully mounted army.

Swordmasters still have the resinmodels without command.

18 hours ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

image.png.700bc2bb4041a51fb7a8e8da56b4de56.png

That little hat, those feathers and the flaps on the pantaloons made me happier than any warcry necromunda kill team they could have released.

Granted, it's the happiness one feels when your kidnapper allows you to see sunlight for the first time in months... but it's a form of happiness nonetheless. I don't think we'll see new Freeguild models anytime soon, but a man can dream about some motherlocking Imperial cavalry. Come on, even the Bretonnian line had better horses!

EDIT: In all seriousness, like some people have said, this cover seem aimed very clearly at people who are nostalgic of the Empire and want Empire 2.0. If there were serious plans about changing the Freeguild aesthetic to something more classical or steampunk (moreso than the original Empire), then they wouldn't have commissioned art which reinforces the "Fret not, the Empire lives!" vibe.

At least, that's what I think. I'm all for a more steampunk, industrialised Empire look, like the creations and conversions by Melcavuk, but I don't think I'll see this in years.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

Rules

No clue why, I play BoC and love the book. But I guess if your primary source of information on BoC is forums/social media you probably think the book is awful and isn't worth playing. But hey its not like a guy took 2nd with a list at Rend 4 filled with units that the majority of BoC players say are unusable. 

• Like 1

personally I hope the empire aesthetic stays, atleast in part.

I would have have numerous sub factions for (knightly orders, professional foot soldiers, militia, Ironweld, etc) I would make the regular foot soldiers like the empire, the knightly orders more bretonian, the militia a new look (but should be very simplistic uniforms), napoleaonic style for the human side of ironwled etc. I dislike over indulging in steam punk and that look is already taken by the k overlords anyway. anysteam punk elements would be more practical looking (like the imperial guard compared to the mechanicus)

It's important to note that "high fantasy" basically means nothing in terms of design aesthetics. 

High and Low fantasy can share identical designs because the high and the low aspects don't really have any direct impact. It's the story, setting and the lore of the world that combines to define the appearance. Or the other way around of course. 

You can have a magic free, french renaissance designed army with an injection of steam punk and it won't have any problem fitting into a high fantasy world as a design style. If anything the real change would be going for "more" when it comes to designs. Things like the steam tank getting a re-design to look more advanced; or having more gaudy cogs starting to sneak in here and there etc.... 

You basic musket becomes a rifled musket of archaic design powered by magic infused powders instead of just black powder. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

There's almost 0% chance for new models. However, the aesthetics can change to a degree, but not in the way people would expect. When Firestorm released there were a number of 'official' Freeguild soldiers that had been kitbashed to represent different cities. Much like how the imperial guard have in their codex.

I agree, I expect GW to use this to cut out a few old molds, and lore Karl Franz to be a patron saint of the cities so they won't have to update the models featuring the name. This could mean warpriests and witch hunters are more usable for Free Peoples, and certain city allegiances or battallions can get Aelves to play nice with each other.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

Tbh, I could see Forgeworld releasing some upgrade kits like they did with Stormcast. Still bit of a stretch, but less than asking for a new kit.

Honestly FW could produce a LOT of upgrade kits for AoS, but so far GW and FW don't seem to know what to do with FW esp for AoS. They formed a dedicated AoS team and then after the alternative stormcast heads came out they disbanded the team. It's hard to say but there seems to be both politics and production pressures on FW which is resulting in it jumping around and unable to settle down. That AoS was a game originally built to just shift models (no real game) and that its been 4 or 5 years or such since it launched and over that time FW has produced 1 dragon (that we believe started life in the End Times of Old World) and 2 sets of alternate heads kind of shows that AoS is not all that important. 

It's a huge shame because AoS is such a ripe picking ground that FW should have no problem thinking up ideas and selling models. 

• Thanks 2