Not sure what I screwed up

Lior'Lec

I’ve been thinning my paints with a homemade recipe found online. My first batch worked like a charm, but I just made a second batch that is acting kind of wonky. I’m not certain if I messed up the recipe or if there is another factor at play (for example bad primming  ju-ju).

The mixture is 1/4 flow aid, 1/4 retarder, and 1/2 of an achohol and water mix (5/8 distilled water to 3/8 91% isopropanol). When applied the paint seems to peel or flow away from the area I apply it leaving bare spots in the middle; my first thought was that I have too much flow aid in the mix but it doesn’t seem to settle in recesses like a wash would and doesn’t seem to be doing this on the pallet (looks like it paints perfectly fine in fact). 

I thin at a roughly 50/50 mix of paint to thinner but have had to change to 2:1 paint to thinner just to get coverage. Does anyone with more experience have insight on what I’ve done wrong? My best guesses are: too much flow aid, bad primer layer, oil/grease/release agents I missed when washing. This is most noticeable right along hard edges where it flat out refuses to stick. The second  photo I’ve thinned some reaper ruddy Flesh about 1:3 and spread it on the pallet with no issue.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, I haven't used such specific mixes for thinning paint but perhaps you shouldn't add any alcohol as  I use isopropanol to remove paint. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exactly help with the durability of your work. What primer are you using? I've had a billion problems with the Vallejo airbrush ones, so if you use those, then switch and your problem will be solved.

The water and alcohol mix is what I use for airbrush thinner and as I said I’ve used this mix before without issue. I added more of the water mix incase there was too much flow aid, but was still having the same issue.

I’m leaning pretty heavily toward thinking it is a primer issue now. Another mini I primed with Reaper Brush-On worked fine (well, other than 47 million coats of paint because I couldn’t make up my mind). These troublesome ones were primed with white spray paint and collectively are the first miniatures I’ve attempted with a white primer. To test it, I’m stripping two of the troublesome minis down to bare plastic and will re-prime with the airbrush. If I don’t have issues then I’ve found the problem, if not I will keep testing.

As a side note for the mini primed with Brush-On: I’m not finished with it but also not really satisfied with the colors so far. Anyone have suggestions for changes that wouldn’t look so... bla!? I started with a cream/offwhite color to the lower robes but it was too similar to the bonestaff so I washed it with multiple shades trying to change the tone before finally painting it with a darkened celesta grey mix. I cannot seem to find anything I like and I’m scared I’m starting to lose detail with each new layer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived