Mixed Elf/Dwarf GA Order Viability

ColsBols

Hey guys,

So I've been recently been bit by the hobby ADHD bug and have a chance to get two of the High Elf halves of Isle of Blood and may have accidentally won another 18 spearmen on ebay last night. I also am sitting on a bunch of dispossessed (Skull pass dwarves, 10 ironbreakers, two sets of Irondrakes, cannon and organ gun, cogsmith) Is there any way for me to run some kind of reasonably competitive GA Order list with my Sylvaneth that won't get stomped off the table and leave me depressed at having spent $75 on a squatted potato army? What should I look at for generals? What if I later wanted to add in, say some wanderers or DOK? 

A way to think of it is as a few modules that function independently with small buffs like the cog Smith with the cannon or the high warden with the spearmen.  You have a solid choice of units to use as with that dispossessed collection you have a fully fledged army.  The only thing you have that affects general order stuff is the archmage’s spell that gives a 6+ save to stuff nearby.  Orders allegiance ability makes it easier to run larger units from different factions with fewer losses from battleshock.  Get the stuff assembled and try a few different combinations to see what play style you like.  Just remember that even though some factions have strong rules from having allegiance abilities that doesn’t mean you can’t win without them yourself.  You have a lot of middle units there and I would start with a gun line based around the near 40 spireguard you have with the thunderers cannon and iron drakes.  Use the reavers and whatever fast Sylvaneth units you might have as skirmishers to tie units in place while the smaller units of dwarves and elves can be used to hold the faster elements of the enemy army off of you gunline.  With the advent of command points it’s not really necessary to worry about what general you use as you can use the right ability at the right time such as the warden king or high warden to support where it is needed.  I would suggest getting the endless spells to give you more variety to use those archmages to full affect.

Archived