Best SCE Lords/heroes and why?

Dracothjay

Hi guys. I am no stranger to AOS, but decided to drop my Ironjawz as I have a new found love for SCE's!!

so, what are our best lords/heroes and why? 

I currently have:

lord celestant

lord celestant on dracoth

Lord relictor

2 units of 5 liberators

2 units of 5 judicators

3 prosecutors

5 retributors. 

As I am selling bit of my Ironjawz one by one, I have made £80 and looking to add to my SCE. Any advice as to what to get, be it lords/heroes first or more units? I am looking to build to the SBS battalion, but also willing to take advice. 

Cheers fellow SCE's. 

The Celestant-Prime is absolutely gamebreaking (and a gorgeous model to boot) because of the sheer number of ridiculously powerful attacks he gets if you charge him up for a few turns. Bring him in during turn 4 and just watch your opponent's best units melt.

The Lord-Celestant on foot is also pretty awesome, particularly if you have Retributors nearby when he uses his command ability (+1 to hit for all nearby units of Stormcast Eternals). All of a sudden your Retributors are dropping 2x mortal wounds on 5s and 6s to hit.

To be honest every SCE character is useful and has its own way to add synergies to the army.

im a big fan of multiple heraldors but haven't took them that much in recent games.

as rokapoke mentioned above the prime is a great tool to have in your list as is the stardrake.

if you are looking to get an army on the table I'd write the list you want and see which hero and ability works within your build and add that.

or do what I did when they came out bought one of each... I may have a problem.

2 hours ago, Lez said:

Pretty much what I'm doing now, nothing wrong with having plenty of options and they're all gorgeous models!

All of this is purely speculation based on a few games with the missus while I build up from the starter set, but here's my thoughts on the Stormcast heroes that I've properly checked out.

I'm building my list at the moment to include two Knight Heraldor's at 1000pts, the fact that there's two different Heraldor models is a bonus there too. Their run and charge ability will be handy for getting slower moving troops into combat, and their Thunderblast attack is very cool too.

The Knight Vex has his once a game transport ability, which will be great for getting hard hitting troops down the field quickly, but it's only once a game and at 200pts, I've pretty much decided to go with Heraldor's instead, thanks to some good advice from folks on here, certainly at 1000pts :)

Once I've built the army up to 2000pts, I'll probably take the Lord Celestant on Dracoth for his battleshock immune ability, 24" reach for all Stormcast units should hopefully cover enough of the board not to have to worry about anyone fleeing. That said, with an elite army, battleshock isn't as much of a worry, I just seem to have terrible luck with my dice rolls when it does come up so far! O.o

The Stardrake is an awesome model, and I'll be buying one for that reason, but it's command ability only affects other Dracothian Guard models, so unless you're running Extremis chamber, probably not worthwhile as your general. I haven't got round to checking the rules for the Drakesworn Templar yet to see if that would be more of a worthwhile build for gaming purposes, but that may be an option with that kit. I won't be adding in any other Extremis for a little while yet (got enough on my hands trying to get up to 1000pts of ordinary Stormcast first! :P ).

The Lord Relictor's a must take for me, too, for his healing ability, always keep him close to whatever units are going to be important for the scenario, considering grabbing a second from a bits site so I have the option of running two - one close to my general at all times would be handy so I don't lose my command ability, especially if I'm going to run the general into combat.

That's about as far as I've got so far - the Knight Azyros is an awesome model too, but I need to look at his rules more in depth (and I'm dreading painting up the Prosecutors as it is, so any more winged warriors can wait for now! :P ) and the Lord Castellant with Gryph Hound seems like a solid choice, but again, need to look at the rules more in depth to see how I could build them into a list :) 

Don't forget that if you're using Matched Play rules (that is, with points) you and your opponent can agree to use the allegiance traits. If you do so, you can reroll all battleshock tests within a certain range of your commander/heroes. The Celestant on Dracoth's ability isn't as critical then, allowing you to use the Celestant on foot as your general instead.

1 hour ago, rokapoke said:

Don't forget that if you're using Matched Play rules (that is, with points) you and your opponent can agree to use the allegiance traits. If you do so, you can reroll all battleshock tests within a certain range of your commander/heroes. The Celestant on Dracoth's ability isn't as critical then, allowing you to use the Celestant on foot as your general instead.

Had completely forgotten about that - I need to get out and play some games against some other wargamers instead of the missus, she's hesitant to add in any extra rules just yet, it's been a battle to get scenery rules in so far :$ That reminds me that I need to have a look at the Artefacts and Traits for my Stormcast :D 

12 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

As I am selling bit of my Ironjawz one by one

What you got for sale bro! ;) 

7 hours ago, Lez said:

To be honest every SCE character is useful and has its own way to add synergies to the army.

im a big fan of multiple heraldors but haven't took them that much in recent games.

as rokapoke mentioned above the prime is a great tool to have in your list as is the stardrake.

if you are looking to get an army on the table I'd write the list you want and see which hero and ability works within your build and add that.

Yes @Lez is right, they do all have their uses. I think the Castellant and Vexillor would be the next two to add though if I were you. They are both models that will probably find a place in most of your lists.

Whilst you can field the Stardrake and the Prime, I think early doors it might be worth picking one or the other. My preference is the Drake, because, ya know, its a f**kin' huge dragon! The Prime is arguably more popular though.

The Heraldor is pretty solid, I love the Venator (my fav SCE model) and it provide a nice ranged assassination piece and the Azyros is also call.

Yeh...just buy them all mate. Done.

:P 

3 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Just bought vexillor and celestant prime. I think after this I will focus on more Paladins. I'm aiming for 10 retributors, 5 decimators and 5 protectors. I think that's a nice start for Paladins, at least I have a nice selection there. 

Yup nice choice, I really would recommend getting the Castellant up your buy list though. That lantern ability is super legit. Especially if you're planning the popular(?!) Ret+Vex "combo".

I don't think I've ever played a game using my SCE without him. That said, I never got around to buying a Celestant on foot (who is also great). So I'm not sure how you go about getting both in an army tbh.

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

Ok, so sold more orruks. Should i get a stardrak + 5 rets or spend the lot on paladins?

I love the stardrake model (takes ages to paint!) but am scratching my head on fitting him into lists under 2k. 2k mayybe.

If you like dragons and want variety go 2x boxes dracothian guard instead maybe. Roughly same price. Probably same length of time to paint (I took ages with just 2). Pretty cool models as well.

That said, I'm not sure you're ever wrong to buy more paladins. Maybe only if you're like 'ugh, not more big golden tw@ts". In which case it's time for another army for a breath of fresh air!

Archived