The Painting Contract - March 2019

TheOtherJosh

Time to get back on track, I'll pledge to paint all of my converted 'machine spirit' grimghasts.

After that I'll have to think on what I want to do next. I could add further onto this Chamon LoS army. First thing that comes to mind would obviously be to convert a necromancer to play more into an engineer/alchemy angle to fit with the rest of the army. I've also considered converting zombies with blades as hands and perhaps gasmask or cyborg heads, but I really don't feel like painting a horde right now (or just in general). I've also considered maybe expanding on the lore of the region in Chamon which my army occupies and adding more factions. This would let me paint a variety of models and just have fun with that, I'm kinda leaning to that, got some ideas already:

-The Brass Legions (Legion of Sacrament, machine/alchemy-themed) <- army I'm currently working on
-Coastal Raiders of the Silver Seas (Khorne Bloodbound, use steel fibre nets, tridents and harpoons)
-Cobalt Troggherd (Gloomspite Gits - Troggherd manipulated by Tzeentch, heavily armored, metal/minerals stuck in the skin)
-Order of the Moonlit Knights (Gloomspite Gits - Chivalrous Goblins, empire plumed helmets, focused on Squig Knights with caparisons)
-The Iron Beast Stampede (Slaaneshi Gavespawn, Richly adorned Beastmen with gilded horns, Bestigors on Mournfangs as counts-as Chariots)
-Clan Hydrik (Steampunk Skaven, Moulder/Skryre focus)
-The Wardokks (Orruks focused on self-improvement via metal protheses, iron claws etc)?
|Combine Troggherd and Moonlit Knights? Fungoid Cave Shaman is disguised agent of Tzeentch.|

Having several small armies from the same world does seem really cool. Anyway, I got enough to think about I suppose.

Also why do my posts always end up so long 🤔

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the next few months I want to get stuck back into some fyreslayers, with the hope I can get an army together before the next new shiny thing distracts me. Just needs a few units:

30 vulkites (3 already painted) 

runesmiter on magmadroth 

5 auric hearthguard 

5 hearthguard berzerkers

target for this month is to paint (at least) 7 vulkite berzerkers to get the first 10 finished, and the magmadroth. With any luck I’ll get a bit further than that still.

I have always been wary of pledging like this as I always struggle but I have managed to get loads done in Jan and Feb so will try and keep that up. Mostly working on my GFs Gloomspite army but also some of her creatures and my old Necromunda stuff. Going to restart my Tzeentch Daemons too.

Pledge- 

Finish 10 old metal squig hoppers

Build and paint Loon boss on squig 

Build and paint Gloomspite shrine and spells

Paint 3 metal flamers

Stretch-

Mollog's mob

Burning chariot 

Build my conversion Daemon Prince

Finish the last 6 NCE Necromunda miniatures 

Won't get it all done but hoping the mix of flexibility and structure will help?

Need to figure out images now too

13 minutes ago, strugglewithin1 said:

Won't get it all done but hoping the mix of flexibility and structure will help?

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the contract? I believe whole idea was to create some kind of accountability to insure you get what done what you've committed to?

2 hours ago, raaaahman said:

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the contract? I believe whole idea was to create some kind of accountability to insure you get what done what you've committed to?

I think he means he won't be able to finish the pledge AND the stretch, which is not unusual as it is a stretch. Also I don't think this is as much to create accountability as it is about giving you some motivation and setting clear goals for yourself. No one will say anything if you don't finish your pledge, although I do think it is good to keep it within the realm of possibility.

Yeah, probably wasn't explained all that well.

The aim is to finish the pledge and see how much of thr stretch I can achieve-- I have a few days off do hopefully quite a bit of the stretch. Those are the goals. I was hoping this thread would help me keep going. I enjoy reading people's journeys.

But my thinking since just before Christmas has been to try not let certain models stop me painting. So if I hit a wall with something rather than worry and slow down I will move some of the stretch or just random mini's to the front if the que instead. Working so far but early days.

I am not looking for accountability though. Happy to drop out if I have misunderstood 

February was superb, gonna try and get everything but my hordes of battlelines done by the end of this month.

• Mighty Lord of Khorne Conversion (Riptooth/Magore)
  • 1 SKULLCANNON (No excuses for this one this month)
  • 1 Exalted Hero of Chaos (Wulfrik the Wanderer resin model)

Good luck with your goals my friends!

I pledge to get 40 gloomspite grots done this month. No idea how long that'll take. They're basic but there's a lot of them 😅

Stretch goal is to do my 3 rockgut troggoths as well.

Oh! And I need to finish my Troggboss too I suppose xD

I was so close to getting another 4 done in Feb, sigh. Just these 5 for now.

Pledge: Finish the unit of these suckers

Stetch: 5 Liberators or Evocators depending on how annoyed I get at robes.

Dont ever paint an army cream coloured

C56712E6-C911-43D3-9353-8F720BA9572B.jpeg

6 hours ago, Nos said:

I was so close to getting another 4 done in Feb, sigh. Just these 5 for now.

Pledge: Finish the unit of these suckers

Stetch: 5 Liberators or Evocators depending on how annoyed I get at robes.

Dont ever paint an army cream coloured

C56712E6-C911-43D3-9353-8F720BA9572B.jpeg

I test painted a few sequiturs as well and put them aside as I wasn’t satisfied on any of the robes. Either went with a colour but that hurt my grim vision of them or different shade of (dirty) white but that wasn’t good either 😂

but even with your warning.... how did you do the cream robes 😅

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I test painted a few sequiturs as well and put them aside as I wasn’t satisfied on any of the robes. Either went with a colour but that hurt my grim vision of them or different shade of (dirty) white but that wasn’t good either 😂

but even with your warning.... how did you do the cream robes 😅

The cream are based with Steel Legion Drab, then Flayed One Flesh for most of the body then a glaze of Bleached Bone.

On top of it naturally being a difficult colour to do I’ve found washes really just don’t sit with any of those colours so have to just build it up the old fashioned way. It’s very hard to get it uniform across a unit so I have done slightly darker/lighter than others. Just had to roll with it. I don’t like obvious highlights, if you’re less fussy about that sort of thing than me will be much quicker!

WIP shot for robes emphasis below, calling that one done.

The sort of linen white on the tabards is Rakarth Flesh, Agrax for shading, Rakarth again then glazed with Pallid Wych Flesh. Only just started that step on this one however. 

FB2D3C05-0E06-4A6A-93BC-020F1CED5258.jpeg

Last part of last months pledge/first part of this months is done. So glad these eels are done as I have been working on them for weeks and they had become a serious monkey on my back. There are some parts which could be tidier but I just had to stop on them. I do have the bases to finish and then it is on to part two - Nitchs squad.

CBBB4F09-B239-4D4A-92C8-3559F610E1DF.jpeg

7FE57595-6F02-4D23-AFFD-A99285BF347E.jpeg

38812F33-C9AE-4CB7-A827-B70C3911420D.jpeg

5CED204D-C326-4B0E-AA33-1CF4CDC46F81.jpeg

7C04CF57-CAB8-4AB0-8D90-F524C129FD1D.jpeg

A0B06C9A-8BC6-4801-86FE-1AB785C33EDE.jpeg

14 hours ago, Nos said:

top of it naturally being a difficult colour to do I’ve found washes really just don’t sit with any of those colours so have to just build it up the old fashioned way. It’s very hard to get it uniform across a unit so I have done slightly darker/lighter than others.

This exactly discribes what I ran into. The tranfer in color didn't look like shadows in the fold but more like a different color fabric. A well, I copied your advice and when I pick them back up i'll try your method! Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

Last part of last months pledge/first part of this months is done. So glad these eels are done as I have been working on them for weeks and they had become a serious monkey on my back. There are some parts which could be tidier but I just had to stop on them. I do have the bases to finish and then it is on to part two - Nitchs squad.

CBBB4F09-B239-4D4A-92C8-3559F610E1DF.jpeg

7FE57595-6F02-4D23-AFFD-A99285BF347E.jpeg

38812F33-C9AE-4CB7-A827-B70C3911420D.jpeg

5CED204D-C326-4B0E-AA33-1CF4CDC46F81.jpeg

7C04CF57-CAB8-4AB0-8D90-F524C129FD1D.jpeg

A0B06C9A-8BC6-4801-86FE-1AB785C33EDE.jpeg

Nicely done with the pillars, where are they from?

I'm going to get in on this. I need motivation to finish my nurgle army. This month I will paint;

Main Goal

3 plague drones

Additional Goals

5 blight kings

Kazyk the befoulled (harbinger proxy)

Probably a lot more than I can handle as I have very limited time. But if I could get these guys done up to an acceptable standard I would be more than happy :)

Happy painting folks

50 minutes ago, ReAnimate Studios said:

These are really nice :)

Thanks Pal!

Means a lot especially after seeing your Blight Kings which are outstanding. I can see we both have a similar “naturalistic” (as far as can be within a high fantasy setting at any rate) approach to what we’re trying to paint.

Archived