Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saw this linked in a Discord chat, seems that Tomb Kings are back in AoS!

52736744_10213519680401648_5969514489966493696_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I am so angry that words fail me.

What part of "DOES NO SERVE" wasnt clear?

Edited by Thiagoma
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I am so angry that words fail me.

What part of "DOES NO SERVE" wasnt clear?

I mean, it's either "serve and fight endlessly against your hated foe" or "be nothing for eternity".

Dude probably cut a deal :P

1 minute ago, Requizen said:

I mean, it's either "serve and fight endlessly against your hated foe" or "be nothing for eternity".

Dude probably cut a deal :P

When Chaos tryed to do that, Settra killed a buttload of demons and entered the Chaos plane to kick some more.

Settra would have given Sigmar the finger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Is there a way for the forum to auto-highlight acronyms that are on a standardized list so that readers can mouseover/click and get a definition?

I've seen the Dakka forums do that a lot - it can be quite helpful; esp on a site like TGA where the site only has 1 primary lore setting so the acronyms are more unified. Throw up a thread in the suggestions and feedback section about it :)

1 hour ago, Requizen said:

Saw this linked in a Discord chat, seems that Tomb Kings are back in AoS!

52736744_10213519680401648_5969514489966493696_o.jpg

Which book is this from? This is very interesting, because now I'm supposing the new artwork we saw in the Warcry trailer may be references to this Lord-Celestant Settrus and his Imperishables (the guy with sickle-like weapons and the lithe Stormcast warrior).

Or it could just be a wink and nod and nothing more. But...

Edited by Mutton

It's from the new Hamilcar book, so keep in mind a) it's supposed to be comedic and b) it's written from the perspective of a deliberately unreliable narrator. So I think this is just a gag at Tomb Kings' expense. 

Extremely clunky/awkward joke though, and I'm not looking forward to this being brought up in irate Tomb Kings discussions for years to come... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malin said:

Last year Deepkin were shown on LVO IIRC anyone recall what was the time from seminar to release?

They came out over four weeks I think, between March and April. The full range was previewed in March white dwarf. 

14 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

It's from the new Hamilcar book, so keep in mind a) it's supposed to be comedic and b) it's written from the perspective of a deliberately unreliable narrator. So I think this is just a gag at Tomb Kings' expense. 

Extremely clunky/awkward joke though, and I'm not looking forward to this being brought up in irate Tomb Kings discussions for years to come... 

If it really is just a joke, then GW can take a flying leap. I will honestly be done with the company. Why? Because it would be them intentionally giving the finger to some pretty bummed out fans who (using my own example) took a while to trust in The New GW after AoS came out with all it's childish crud and arrogant handling of things.  This would be a clear indicator to me that we're still being laughed at by the folks in the Ivory Tower. Fool me once, and all that.

On the other hand ... if it's a harbinger and they can find a way to explain how Settra would kneel the a sad little godling after he told the combined Ruinous Powers to get bent, then I would be hyper excited! 🤩

Edited by Sleboda
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

I see. If so, not in great taste, given all the people who are still (rightfully) angry about their dropped army.

7 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If it really is just a joke, then GW can take a flying leap. I will honestly be done with the company. Why? Because it would be them intentionally giving the finger to some pretty bummed out fans who (using my own example) took a while to trust in The New GW after AoS came out with all it's childish crud and arrogant handling of things.  This would be a clear indicator to me that we're still being laughed at by the folks in the Ivory Tower. Fool me once, and all that.

On the other hand ... if it's a harbinger and they can find a way to explain how Settra would kneel the a sad little godling after he told the combined Ruinous Powers to get bent, then I would be hyper excited! 🤩

Keep in mind this isn't some core piece of GW-written lore or something - it's an individual author writing something he thinks is funny. Obviously there's an approval process but I don't think the novels can be considered gospel in the same way that, say, a battletome is, and certainly I wouldn't ever expect a Black Library novel to tease future unannounced model releases. 

I understand the whole Tomb Kings thing is still pretty raw for a lot of people, but would you really want them to come back as a bunch of Stormcast? They wouldn't look or act anything like they used to, and lore-wise it really doesn't add up at all. 

6 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

I understand the whole Tomb Kings thing is still pretty raw for a lot of people, but would you really want them to come back as a bunch of Stormcast? They wouldn't look or act anything like they used to, and lore-wise it really doesn't add up at all. 

I wouldn't, no, which is why I said they would need a good explanation. How cool would it be for him to be fully aware of who he is, but allow Sigmar to think he doesn't know. Sigmar would be arrogant enough to assume his reforging process subverted the will of some weak sand-king. All the while, Settra is gathering knowledge so that he can strike at Nagash and exact long overdue vengeance.

That would be sweet.

Settra wouldnt bent the Knee, but the author said in his twitter that he would explore this theme.

Maybe he has other sort of arrengement that would explain this image of a Tomb King like figure and Stormcasts

IMG-20190208-WA0002.jpg

• Like 2

Another thought.

I have always believed TK to be as close to Good Guys as Warhammer gets, or, at the very least, a true neutral army - certainly not some evil and/or mindless force of death and entropy. They had a thriving civilization full of daily 'living', skeletons taking part in military drills, and so on. I actually think it would be a fantastic advancement and a bold step to have a faction that on the surface lines up with Death actually be an Order faction.

Perhaps Settra, who is arrogant as hell but not dumb, realizes that Nagash's absolute dominion over the dead (see his Mortarchs!) is the one true impediment to his desire for revenge.  What good is an awesome plan if the guy you are after can just think 'stop' and it's thwarted? So, maybe Settra makes a deal.  Maybe he says to Sigmar, "Hey, you shield my presence, and that of key generals under my command, from Nagash's ability to detect me and I'll lend my amazing, incalculably amazing skills and generalship to your quest to defeat Chaos and right the Necroquake, but in return I retain full autonomy over myself - where I go, who I fight, etc. and when it's all over, I claim Shyish as my own and turn it into a new pre-Nagash (as in, pre  when he cursed the old Kings to undeath) Nehakarhan paradise?"

Or, better yet, he says he'll leave Shyish to Sigmar if he can have the Realm of Life and rebuild a lush civilization for his people.

Dunno, really anything other than "Tee hee, this will tick off TK players." 

• Like 3

That could be a verminlord - they've got weapons like those and what's behind it could be a banner like what the Ikit Claw (Warlock Engineer) model has. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

That could be a verminlord - they've got weapons like those and what's behind it could be a banner like what the Ikit Claw (Warlock Engineer) model has. 

I find it unlikely because the arms are too thin and if you zoom into the right one, you can see the gap between the 2 bones of the arm, indicating a Skeleton.

Settra might not bend the knee, but maybe after fighting his way through the warp, slaying countless daemons only to have his socks rocked by khorne himself, would Settra strike a deal with Sigmar to be reforged as a celestant. Part of the deal may involve having a bunch of TK souls being reforged as well, forming this unit of 'imperishables' he leads. It might be less of a 'you work for me' and more of a 'i'll just point you in a direction and you do your thing' type of agreement. Sigmar provides the power and bodies (both literally and figuratively) and Settra uses his literal eons of skill and experience to curb stomp anything stupid enough to be in his way. If this is what's in the next soul wars release then for once i'd actually eat my shoe and say i'm happy to see a stormcast release... GW prove me right, but please prove me wrong.... 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Settra might not bend the knee, but maybe after fighting his way through the warp, slaying countless daemons only to have his socks rocked by khorne himself, would Settra strike a deal with Sigmar to be reforged as a celestant. Part of the deal may involve having a bunch of TK souls being reforged as well, forming this unit of 'imperishables' he leads. It might be less of a 'you work for me' and more of a 'i'll just point you in a direction and you do your thing' type of agreement. Sigmar provides the power and bodies (both literally and figuratively) and Settra uses his literal eons of skill and experience to curb stomp anything stupid enough to be in his way. If this is what's in the next soul wars release then for once i'd actually eat my shoe and say i'm happy to see a stormcast release... GW prove me right, but please prove me wrong.... 

If there are Tomb Kings in Stormcast even if it's only a couple units I might actually have to start collecting them, TK are the army I wanted to collect when I was a kid so I was pretty bummed when they got rid of them in AoS. I feel like if they did want to bring them back and have them oppose Nagash then going the Stormcast chamber route is probably the easiest way lore wise.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

If they are just more Golden boys... meh.

It should be its own thing, otherwise there isnt much of a point to bring Tks or even Settra back.

• Like 1

IMG-20190208-WA0002.jpg

The guy in back looks like a skeleton with a khopesh and a whip in robes, but remember that Death Grand Alliance is lead by 3 separate Tomb Kings (Nagash, Arkhan and Neferata though she leaned into Vampire Counts as well ).  It possible that new faction models for death could take design cues from the Tomb Kings. I did think the Skeletons in the artwork for Shadespire looked Tomb King-ish. 

Shadespire_Wallpaper1_1920x1080.jpg

The guy in the front reminds of Devoted of Sigmar see in this art work of Celestant Prime.igor-sid-41-celestant-prime.jpg?15302964

As someone who shares no love for TK I think thats pretty cool...

But then again it’s not my army,  I’ve said it before, Undead Order based in Azyr would be fantastic for TK, their background would suit the idea of them being Lore tied to the Realm of Heavens, but I imagined something along the line of “Good” undead with a dislike for tainted Chaos, looting Destruction, and Nagjash’s smelly undead Legion. Gold Flying Chariots, Death mask soldiers, Giants Constructs all led by withering Liches and princes in fine ornate armour...But guess they’re just in the Chambers now.

17 minutes ago, Kronos said:

As someone who shares no love for TK I think thats pretty cool...

But then again it’s not my army,  I’ve said it before, Undead Order based in Azyr would be fantastic for TK, their background would suit the idea of them being Lore tied to the Realm of Heavens, but I imagined something along the line of “Good” undead with a dislike for tainted Chaos, looting Destruction, and Nagjash’s smelly undead Legion. Gold Flying Chariots, Death mask soldiers, Giants Constructs all led by withering Liches and princes in fine ornate armour...But guess they’re just in the Chambers now.

If there's going to be a 'good' undead army it's either gonna be TK 2 electric boogaloo or some edgy anti-nagash vampire rebels. I'd be happy either way but if that stormvault opened and some bone boys in golden armour walked out i'd start playing order in a heartbeat.

Dammit, GW, you've got me excited about TK again. Please, please don't wee in my cornflakes.

We'll see with Warcry, but I think it's just a nod. Brettonians got a nod in FEC Battletome (Hollowmourne being a long-forgotten kingdom of heavily armored Knights searching for and protecting relics, some Courts worshipping Lady Olynder), so it's not inconceivable that this is just something similar. Kind of a "hey, we're not saying they are Tomb Kings, but the possibility is there, fill in your own blanks" type of deal.