Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

27 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

That is weird, because they are honestly pretty new sculpts in regards to stuff carried over from Warhammer Fantasy.  You should have seen the Dragon Ogre sculpts prior to the current plastic ones.

I  like them somewhat, but I can see why people have issues. I think it's the splayed posing which is supposed to be dynamic but looks rigid and unnatural (and the feet: the only reason I'm not planning to get Thunderscorn allies is I that CBA to resculpt them).

But, as you say, in terms of detail and overall aesthetic they are quite good. I think the gold standard for older sculpt are regular Ogors: they've got a great amount of detail and their languid posing suits a lumbering gait. 

33 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

That is weird, because they are honestly pretty new sculpts in regards to stuff carried over from Warhammer Fantasy.  You should have seen the Dragon Ogre sculpts prior to the current plastic ones.

Yeah the Dragon Ogres (barring Shaggoth) are beautiful sculpts, and look even more awesome if you do a bit of basing work to repose them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I really like the current Dragon Ogres.  Why do you say they have not aged well?  I cannot see anything poor about the sculpt.  They are Ogre/Dragon centaur guys and the sculpt seems pretty appropriate for that.  I get that aesthetics are personal and not everyone will like every concept, but I don't see what about them has not aged well.  There is nothing technically wrong with the sculpts that I can see.  They are not lacking detail for what they are and the proportions & anatomy does not seem wrong.  The GW plastic Minotaurs on the other hand have muscles that simply do not make any anatomical sense.  I would say that those have aged poorly - but to each their own.

They aren't awful, just not my favorite. I don't know, something about their poses. Also I sort of find the paint scheme GW uses for them (on th website) isn't terribly interesting. Idk... just personal taste I guess

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nightcast Eternal said:

They aren't awful, just not my favorite. I don't know, something about their poses. Also I sort of find the paint scheme GW uses for them (on th website) isn't terribly interesting. Idk... just personal taste I guess

Their poses are actually pretty dynamic: you just have to use terrain on your base to make them look like they're climbing over rocks. For example, here's one that I'm working on (just skin and scales have received paint so far):

WIN_20190204_11_11_28_Pro.jpg

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I really like the current Dragon Ogres.  Why do you say they have not aged well?  I cannot see anything poor about the sculpt.  They are Ogre/Dragon centaur guys and the sculpt seems pretty appropriate for that.  I get that aesthetics are personal and not everyone will like every concept, but I don't see what about them has not aged well.  There is nothing technically wrong with the sculpts that I can see.  They are not lacking detail for what they are and the proportions & anatomy does not seem wrong.  The GW plastic Minotaurs on the other hand have muscles that simply do not make any anatomical sense.  I would say that those have aged poorly - but to each their own.

See I love the minotaurs precisely because they're so over the top. If it's the muscles over the shins you think look weird, those do make sense, it's just because every muscle has been made so bulky they stand out more than they ever do on anything realistic. In fact I like the minotaurs so much i'm making dragon ogres out of them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nightcast Eternal said:

That is fair.  I can understand when people don't care for pose issues for models that came from Warhammer Fantasy.  There were definitely pose limitations for units in that game since it played on square bases and functionally they had to rank up in base to base.  That requirement led most individual models to be more static than you see in games where models operate in a skirmish unit formation (like 40k, AoS, etc).  I personally think their poses are fine, but I can't fault anyone for that opinion and I expect if the current design team were to sculpt this unit for AoS then they would be more dynamic models.

35 minutes ago, firebat said:

See I love the minotaurs precisely because they're so over the top. If it's the muscles over the shins you think look weird, those do make sense, it's just because every muscle has been made so bulky they stand out more than they ever do on anything realistic. In fact I like the minotaurs so much i'm making dragon ogres out of them.

To each their own and aesthetics are a personal thing as I said before.  They are definitely over the top and I can't fault someone if that is what they like about them.  For me personally, I think there are a whole lot of really good minotaur models on the market and I just don't think GW's really stack up next to a number of them (such as the ones from Mierce).  But again, that is just my personal opinion.  And since there are plenty of minotaurs of similar size on the market I feel no desire to ask GW to sculpt new ones as I would be just as happy to buy those other ones.

I can't fault anyone for liking something for being over the top.  The crazier a goblin sculpt is the more I like them.  So I get it.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

+++MOD HAT+++

Bit of a nudge back onto rumours & related please folks - if you want to talk about the Dragon Ogre sculpts can you take it to another thread please.

The long wait for LVO continues. xD

Anyone have an exact time for the panel from now?

Rumour over on dakka is that we will get a big stormcast fortress scenery kit. Ray Dranfield has said several times that he wants to do a modular scenery kit for AoS in the style of the recent 40k kits. If this is it, I am all in. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

The long wait for LVO continues. xD

Anyone have an exact time for the panel from now?

Currently it is around 16:30 in Las Vegas. Seminar was to start at 20:00. So do the math ;) Community site should be updated hour later as previous experiences show. 

Time is ticking away...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Rumour over on dakka is that we will get a big stormcast fortress scenery kit. Ray Dranfield has said several times that he wants to do a modular scenery kit for AoS in the style of the recent 40k kits. If this is it, I am all in. 

Finally, stormcast I can get behind! :P

Super down for proper city terrain!

• Like 1

Terrain as good as the 40k one would be awesome, I just hope it's not another ruined temple/fortress7cathedral as we got the azyrite ruins already and something different would be cooler...

Oh man, if they could crack the nut of terrain that both looks awesome and is a useful play piece, that would be so good.

• Like 2

Hmm, if it's for ALL players, perhaps they thought about doing stuff like hills or modular rivers, especially with now everyone using printed/textured mats for gaming. Or even printed maps? :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kirjava13 said:

Approximately 40 minutes left...

Really? Thought there was over 2 hrs to go?

10 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Really? Thought there was over 2 hrs to go?

One of the community guys got on Twitter and said 2am gmt. I’m pretty sure he just got the time wrong. If we do see the reveals then, those actually attending are going to be pretty upset as everything will be spoiled. 

Something for all players? Maybe the next set of universal Endless spells? That'd be nice. 

Edited by yarrickson

I think people are taking the "for all players" out of context. At least I took it as meaning a preview for all game systems. 

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Their poses are actually pretty dynamic: you just have to use terrain on your base to make them look like they're climbing over rocks. For example, here's one that I'm working on (just skin and scales have received paint so far):

WIN_20190204_11_11_28_Pro.jpg

That's a pretty good point - that's the best one I've seen before. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, quina2525 said:

No it’s not. That’s just a hint. It seems the seminar was happening earlier than advertised. Someone on another forum said the seminar was due to start at 6 but they asked everyone to wait until they did a dry run, so who knows when they will actually post news. At most two hours from now seems certain.