Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any chances un LVO they present a Newell's start collecting set for a lot of armies?

• LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly looking at Stormcast its getting hard to work out what they can practically add to the faction. About the only thing I can think of them having more of are monstrous and warengine models. Troops and elites and heroes wise they are very well stocked for - if not overstocked to the point where they are tripping over each other. 

GW pushed them out hard to get them from nothing to something and its done great; they really need to just leave them alone now and only use marketing to push sales whilst improving other armies. I'd wager many SC players are still collecting and building their armies anyway so its not as if there' sa huge burning need for more models.

My impression is that whilst SC are Marines in Fantasy they are not marketing nor selling like marines; which is a good thing. I think AoS has retained that Old World fantasy edge in that there's a wider spread of factions doing well rather than one doing obscenely well. That's a healthier position for all parties. 

I think the obvious gaps in the Stormcast army right now are more warmachines (feels weird to have a hero specifically for buffing them, and then only have one of them you can use) and special characters for non-Hammers Of Sigmar Stormhosts.

Not saying they should get more stuff right now, obviously other armies are way more in need. And I don't think GW is likely to do any kind of release for them this year. 

I really want to see a character profile for Gardus from the Hallowed Knights and for Balthus from Anvils of the Heldenhammer.

That said, as a new player, I agree Stormcast don't need much. One more warmachine to go with the traditional Chambers would make sense. Maybe a few of the older units could use tweaks. But I'd like some breathing room to build and paint what I do have before feeling any rush to buy newer, shinier Stormcast. 

• LOVE IT! 1

I'm all for getting updates to the existing factions, but at this point the interesting question might well be what completely new direction they will go in next. So far there has been something brand new each year, so its hopefully only a matter of time before they announce their "next big thing".

Looking over the factions, it seems too soon to do yet more elves (much as I love elves). I also can't see them bringing in a fourth Dwarven faction at this point, although as always I would be happy to be surprised. Really Order is looking in quite a good state if they can get tomes out for the legacy factions. There are a range of options new and old, and plenty of room for expansion within the factions that they already have.
Chaos also seems to be in quite a good state. If books for Slaanesh and Chaos Undivided are really around the corner then all seven factions will soon be supported (Eight if you count Legion of Azgorh, which would mean an army for each point of the Chaos Star). Thus if they bring out a new chaos faction, chances are it would be completely new. Its hard to imagine what sort of possibilities might be left within that phase space, unless they unleash a new chaos god, but it could happen.

Death and Destruction feel like they are still bringing up the rear. They've had some great support over the last couple of years, but still have far fewer factions than the others. I feel like destruction has a lot of potential for expansion. Even having discontinued a load of stuff they have solid Orky and Gobliny offerings, and the potential for multiple contrasting Ogor armies. I still really like the idea of Gutbusters staying as the Classic Ogres, while Beastclaw and Firebellies provide two contrasting, elemental factions.

In the case of Death I think there could be a bit of a roadmap. Legions of Nagash provides the classic "Undead United" faction, from the earliest days of Warhammer. Then you have nicely contrasting Ghoul and Ghost heavy forces in the other books. So they could bring out books for Long Legged Beasties, and Things that Go Bump in the Night to round out the set! 

Alternatively I think they've got plenty of potential to expand Skeletons and Vampires, since those were classically to two main undead variations across much of Warhammer history. I don't think that we'll see Tomb Kings or Vampire Counts come back (awesome as a TK release would be), but I do think that there is a clear space in the warhammer phase diagram for those kind of armies to be expanded. After all, the three main ways to do an undead army have historically been; Necromancer with their minions, Vampire with their minions, and Barrow Wights/Mummys running amok.

Time will tell I guess, but I'd be keen to see something completely new.

I want to see another army like KO or Deepkin that makes everyone go wow. Something really out there that says AoS and is 100% new faction too. 

Edited by Barkanaut
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, peasant said:

Any chances un LVO they present a Newell's start collecting set for a lot of armies?

I hope it since idoneth, maggotkin humans, nighthaunt, new stormcasts still waiting for it 

I maybe as I said as well for skaven, and that can be a reason they still didn't show it

5 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Kharadron, Fyre, Ironjaws all in dire need of help. 

Kharadron placed very highly in the biggest AOS tournament in the world and came within inches of  beating the winning Khorne army with 3 Bloodthirsters which suggests people probably need to just play them better 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

I'd love to take a sabbatical from work, pour all my energy in AoS *cue Rocky style training montage of me lying on the sofa reading BTs & eating Doritos, straining to lift centre piece models etc etc* and then spend a year touring the world, playing in all the big tournaments and wiping the floor with a totally different nonsense fluff turned up to 11 list each time.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 minutes ago, Nos said:

Kharadron placed very highly in the biggest AOS tournament in the world and came within inches of  beating the winning Khorne army with 3 Bloodthirsters which suggests people probably need to just play them better 

Oh yay spamming 80 +infantry and having stormcast externals is clearly what the army is about. Spammy horde armies. Yeah I have gone into this with others but the real issue is none of their units have any flavor and their lists don't look or play like KO. So less of a buff then a reorganization to make ships way better. 

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, peasant said:

Where there not some SC boxes in the price lists recently leaked?  surely they must be coming soon.

2 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Oh yay spamming 80 +infantry and having stormcast externals is clearly what the army is about. Spammy horde armies. Yeah I have gone into this with others but the real issue is none of their units have any flavor and their lists don't look or play like KO. So less of a buff then a reorganization to make ships way better. 

Thats pretty much how every army is at top level, but i agree it would be nice to have some actual flavour put back into them. Who knows when that will be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Imo, that's not what he means. It's not the powerlevel, is the entire battletome FAQ'd, rules outdated, 0 interesting mechanics, and a lot miniatures that suffer because of that (gunhaulers, skywardens, Endrimaster,...)

Btw, I believe that KO are not bad, they just have mechanics that didn't catch up with AoS 2.0. Nobody wants just more firepower and better saves for everything (but some ships should have +3save anyway :D:D).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stato said:

Thats pretty much how every army is at top level, but i agree it would be nice to have some actual flavour put back into them. Who knows when that will be.

If you’re not playing at top level though then playing armies with flavour and character is straight forward. 

If you just play AOS to win then that’s a straight jacket of your own invention because as a game it’s imbalanced and prone to gimmicks and abuse, precisely *because* it’s designed to prioritise flavour and character over balance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It sounds to me like Kharadron aren't a priority. There's having no flavour in your battletome, and then there's having no battletome. Y'all can wait

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Walrustaco said:

It sounds to me like Kharadron aren't a priority. There's having no flavour in your battletome, and then there's having no battletome. Y'all can wait

Not going to lie....you are right. Imho, all armies should be updated for AoS 3.0 (before or after GHB2019). 

I think KO  will drop in points in GH2019  and that's pretty much all, re-releasing an Battletome so quickly would be quite bad policy for GW , I think with 10-20% drop on majority of units it should help a lot

• Like 1

@Kirjava13 ah my bad, I missed it amongst all this hot dwarf chat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Disagree.

They are a new range, and therefore represent a huge recent investment for GW.

Unlike Fireslayers, people mostly love the KO range. So the more difficult, time-consuming and expensive part of the process (i.e. development of the miniature range) was fine, but they botched the book.

This situation can be rectified comparatively easily, and this should be done before, say, Gutbusters. Having no book and being more "deserving" takes a back seat to business interests - especially for a publicly-traded company.

PS: I don't play KO.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nos said:

Sure he did great but the result was no kharadron at the top 10

Also maths and stats dont work as you have said,if one people did good then everyone can do it?the whats the point in win rates?

Kharadron,fyreslayers and ironjawz are very weak and need huge buffs.

One kharadron doing great at one tournament(that finished 11th so  isnt so great) meaning nothing in a global context where one dude do good with them and then 30 more do it bad with them

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Disagree.

They are a new range, and therefore represent a huge recent investment for GW.

Unlike Fireslayers, people mostly love the KO range. So the more difficult, time-consuming and expensive part of the process (i.e. development of the miniature range) was fine, but they botched the book.

The models sell well enough, no doubt. And do you think GW thinks they've botched the book? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure as far as GW is concerned, KO have a tome with allegiance abilities, so that's job done, they're all set and in order.

I guess we'll see (or not) at LVO, but if tomes like Sylvaneth or BCR aren't being touched any time soon (also tomes with allegiance abilities, however old they may be) then I really doubt KO have a chance.

11 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

This situation can be rectified comparatively easily, and this should be done before, say, Gutbusters. Having no book and being more "deserving" takes a back seat to business interests - especially for a publicly-traded company.

Whereas I can look at something recently announced: the Skaven battletome. An older faction, who to be fair sort of had a tome but an older one in the  Pestilens books. But that older faction is now getting a new battletome and some spells and being pat on the back and sent on their way. I can look at that and think, 'hey that could be me'

• Like 2

Huge threat ranges on those spells.

Guaranteed +1 cast and +1 to prayers AND a teleport? Amazing.

I think the Skaven Spells and scenery are probably the best ones we've seen in any faction so far.

Have they mentioned how many gnawholes you get to deploy (as they stated they are free), the box showed three but if they can potentially riddle the battlefield with more via spells or abilities then the amount of deadly terrain on the map could give a nice way of funnelling enemies into a killbox.