Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, michu said:

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that FW now will be making only HH and Specialist games. No new things for 40k or AoS. Is that true @RuneBrush?

I wasn't given the indication of that.  For sure the two gents who dealt with "rules" have been reallocated to other areas of FW, but I didn't see that the sculptor had been moved, but as far as I could ascertain we will be getting new AoS resin in the future (bear in mind that a resin model has an 8 ~ 12 month release period after it's been sculpted).

What I would say is that over the past year, FW have been on a fairly aggressive recruitment drive which has allowed them to properly structure that area of the company.  Specialist games and FW have once more got their own dedicated rules guys and sculptors for each game system - for example Neil and Anuj who deal with the HH ruleset now only need to deal with Age of Darkness rules for units - if a unit (e.g. Custodes) needs 40k rules, then it's the main 40k design studio who will create them.  Equally specialist games has one sculptor who is dedicated to just making weapons for Adeptus Titanicus.

What I don't envisage though, is FW producing the quantity of miniatures they did back when we had Warhammer Forge.  One of the challenges is that FW is has a fairly low production capacity and aren't sold in stores, which means that the likihood of seeing Fimir or Chaos Dwarves produced as full armies by FW is probably never going to happen - more likely we'll see them be produced in plastic by the main studio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Overread said:

I'm sort of worried that FW disbanded the idea of separate delivery teams before, it seems, the separate delivery team could deliver anything for AoS save for a handful of heads for Stormcast. I wonder what the rational behind that change was and I wonder what will come in the future. Chaos demons are always easy for them because they fit both game systems without any issues. 

It's just really odd to me and I wonder if FW hasn't either found itself stretched too thin with the rising popularity of specialist games that they found they couldn't afford/staff two separate teams (very possible) or that they just don't have any fantasy designers left within their ranks and that they are all heavily sci-fi/Dune/space focused to the point where they either can't come up with ideas or even lack the skill set to achieve them (eg AoS makes far more use of human poses and monsters - both of which are likely very different sculpting skill sets). 

Ultimately I don't think we'll ever know what the AoS team had in mind.  It only existed for around 7 months before it was changed which isn't long enough for anything to actually happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See I don't really want FW doing full armies. The way I see it they should be making hero sculpts; alternate epic models and unique monsters and such for AoS. Full armies are nice, but they are very niche on FW and always come with a high price tag that makes them even more niche. Far better for them to provide alternate parts and unique sculpts.

I guess with GW central being better at doing big models in plastic it has stolen some of FW's thunder, but they can still provide loads of epic monsters and wandering monsters for AoS. The setting is ripe for such additions and beasties. 

 

Also more dragons!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Overread said:

See I don't really want FW doing full armies. The way I see it they should be making hero sculpts; alternate epic models and unique monsters and such for AoS. Full armies are nice, but they are very niche on FW and always come with a high price tag that makes them even more niche. Far better for them to provide alternate parts and unique sculpts.

I guess with GW central being better at doing big models in plastic it has stolen some of FW's thunder, but they can still provide loads of epic monsters and wandering monsters for AoS. The setting is ripe for such additions and beasties. 

 

Also more dragons!

100% this. I think it's quite a good change as it means that forgeworld can get on making cool models and the design studio can come up with the rules (which makes sense as it will fit in better with the game systems).

I'm very interested to see what comes out of the LVO preview as I wasn't expecting there to be one! All I know it's more stuff for me to get excited over and never get round to doing as I will be excited about the stuff after them! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't FW keyword the remaining warscrolls they already have first?

Fyreslayers are begging for thematic fire stuff like Fireborn, Magma Dragons and Elemental Incarnates of Fire.

The aforementioned Idoneth Myrwerm, as well as BoC Preyton, Skin Wolves and Incarnate Elemental of Beasts, etc.

Edited by Kyriakin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feb5-RumourEngine7hjvfbfr.jpg

 

 

Latest rumour image from GW. Looks like some kind of piston or driving shaft. Some kind of pump system, perhaps linked to terrain for Necromunda or 40K. Could also be something for AoS as its fairly standard and simplistic design on the metal - functional and could easily fit into KOverlords. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Overread said:

See I don't really want FW doing full armies. The way I see it they should be making hero sculpts; alternate epic models and unique monsters and such for AoS. Full armies are nice, but they are very niche on FW and always come with a high price tag that makes them even more niche. Far better for them to provide alternate parts and unique sculpts.

I guess with GW central being better at doing big models in plastic it has stolen some of FW's thunder, but they can still provide loads of epic monsters and wandering monsters for AoS. The setting is ripe for such additions and beasties. 

 

 Also more dragons!

For me it's a question of longevity. With 'mainline' Games Workshop releases of armies that aren't minor ones (Sisters of Silence, Inquisition, etc) you generally know you're safe in going ahead with that army. They're going to get rules updates at some point, they're probably going to get new models in a few years, they're very unlikely to end up squat'ed (I'm saying this without a shred of irony on an Age of Sigmar forum of all places mind you).

Forge World armies just don't have that same guarantee. Chances are they'll receive rules at launch and then anything after that - especially going into future editions - is a very big gamble. Will they ever receive new releases? Will their rules be updated? Will those rules actually be good and not nigh-on unplayable (see: Renegades & Heretics in 8th)? 

I loved Chaos Dwarfs, I loved Renegades and Heretics, but I couldn't justify the risk when I'd already be paying more than a 'mainline GW' army I'd know I was probably safe with going into the future. It's an easier pill to swallow when it's one off, large models that either act as centre pieces, can be proxied or - at worst - you can swallow a £150 model being 'worthless' in a few years so long as it still looks good on the shelf. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Feb5-RumourEngine7hjvfbfr.jpg

 

 

Latest rumour image from GW. Looks like some kind of piston or driving shaft. Some kind of pump system, perhaps linked to terrain for Necromunda or 40K. Could also be something for AoS as its fairly standard and simplistic design on the metal - functional and could easily fit into KOverlords. 

The latest Voxcast (that alternative to Stormcast podcast but for that other inferior game system :D) mentioned race specfic scenery was becoming more of a thing for 40k, so this is most likely (in my eyes) an Imperial Promethium station for the Astra Militarum.   OR, even more likely, its a Dispossessed mining cart, the replacement for Steam tanks :P

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rosa said:

That is for me and many others a big issue.

The uber lift newer tomes receive.

This also killed WHFB for me.

24 Inch + d3 attacks? Come on..

Older tomes have wholly within 9 or 12 Inch and would have received +1 attack.

 

I really dislike this way GW is going.

I don't have a problem with this being wholly within 24".  Ghouls are taken in such large quantities (else they are pretty useless) so if it was wholly within 12" you would almost never get to use it.   

 

I will say I do think powercreep happens as a way to sell stuff. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you compare the FEC ability to a Blood Secrator that model should be at least 300 points.  

 

A Blood Secrator is 140 points and this new model has an extra 6” of range, the ability to move with it and giving double the attacks (on average). To get just the extra range a Khorne player has to pay 200 points for Gorepilgrims and 100 for a priest to stay near him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, stato said:

The latest Voxcast (that alternative to Stormcast podcast but for that other inferior game system :D) mentioned race specfic scenery was becoming more of a thing for 40k, so this is most likely (in my eyes) an Imperial Promethium station for the Astra Militarum.   OR, even more likely, its a Dispossessed mining cart, the replacement for Steam tanks :P

 

Most of their rumours include wordplay and this one mentioned fire wizards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charles said:

If you compare the FEC ability to a Blood Secrator that model should be at least 300 points.  

 

A Blood Secrator is 140 points and this new model has an extra 6” of range, the ability to move with it and giving double the attacks (on average). To get just the extra range a Khorne player has to pay 200 points for Gorepilgrims and 100 for a priest to stay near him.

its worth considering that the bloodsecrator is a guaranteed +1 attack with no way of stopping it.

By comparison, the FEC ability has to be cast, and not dispelled, to actually work. I'd say you'll see him at the 180 point mark, but that's just a guess.  It's an awesome spell don' t get me wrong but it requires a few things go your way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a thought occurred to me regarding the upcoming soulwars release...

The entirety of the aelf races are quite literally built around souls stolen from the mortal coil by first slaanesh and then the new aelf gods. So what if instead of stormcasts and death again we got a soul wars box that was death vs slaanesh or death vs aelves? Or slaanesh vs aleves? I haven't gotten around to reading the soul wars books yet but it was started by nagash being pissed over sigmar taking human souls from the mortal coil to make the stormcasts right? Then wouldn't slaanesh and the aelves doing the same also instigate another theater of war in the soul wars?

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Why don't FW keyword the remaining warscrolls they already have first?

The team has already been broken up so no more rules changes from FW for AoS.

3 minutes ago, The_Chin said:

its worth considering that the bloodsecrator is a guaranteed +1 attack with no way of stopping it.

Killing the model will stop it 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the new FEC character just giving out extra attacks to ghouls? At 4/4/-/1 those attacks aren't that great, you'd need a boatload of them to do real damage. On the other hand the Bloodsecrator can give his extra attack to a Bloodthirster. Not saying Khorne couldn't use some help (I think Khorne's internal balance is out of wack) but you need to be careful with direct comparisons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RuneBrush said:

Killing the model will stop it 😂

Not playing against Khorne also works 😜

  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forrix said:

Isn't the new FEC character just giving out extra attacks to ghouls? At 4/4/-/1 those attacks aren't that great, you'd need a boatload of them to do real damage. On the other hand the Bloodsecrator can give his extra attack to a Bloodthirster. Not saying Khorne couldn't use some help (I think Khorne's internal balance is out of wack) but you need to be careful with direct comparisons.

The spell is d3 extra attacks to any FEC unit. So dragons, horrors, flayers, ghouls - everything. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Chin said:

The spell is d3 extra attacks to any FEC unit. So dragons, horrors, flayers, ghouls - everything. 

Oof, okay then yeah that's gonna be pretty brutal on a ghoul king on terrorgheist/zombie dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Overread said:

See I don't really want FW doing full armies. The way I see it they should be making hero sculpts; alternate epic models and unique monsters and such for AoS. Full armies are nice, but they are very niche on FW and always come with a high price tag that makes them even more niche. Far better for them to provide alternate parts and unique sculpts.

I guess with GW central being better at doing big models in plastic it has stolen some of FW's thunder, but they can still provide loads of epic monsters and wandering monsters for AoS. The setting is ripe for such additions and beasties. 

 

Also more dragons!

GW being able to do big detailed models in plastic does put ForgeWorld in a weird spot. Aside from super giant stuff like titans, it doesn't make a ton of sense for FW to be doing Great Unclean One sized centerpiece models for mainline games(i.e. 40k and AoS) when GW proper can do them in plastic cheaper and get better distribution and thus more sales.

I think for the most part it makes sense it makes sense for them to do very few models at a smaller sizes for 40k or AoS just because they can sell more if they're in plastic. The best place for FW is probably is specialist games like HH or special characters for smaller games like Necromunda, MESBG, and Bloodbowl where they won't sell as many. Outside of titan level stuff and really small niche things like alternate heads or weapons, I think modern manifacturing and model design has left FW behind for very large(as in player base and sales) games like 40k and AoS.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bloodsecrator is also all Khorne units within range while this is a spell you can cast once on a single unit a turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

GW being able to do big detailed models in plastic does put ForgeWorld in a weird spot. Aside from super giant stuff like titans, it doesn't make a ton of sense for FW to be doing Great Unclean One sized centerpiece models for mainline games(i.e. 40k and AoS) when GW proper can do them in plastic cheaper and get better distribution and thus more sales.

I think for the most part it makes sense it makes sense for them to do very few models at a smaller sizes for 40k or AoS just because they can sell more if they're in plastic. The best place for FW is probably is specialist games like HH or special characters for smaller games like Necromunda, MESBG, and Bloodbowl where they won't sell as many. Outside of titan level stuff and really small niche things like alternate heads or weapons, I think modern manifacturing and model design has left FW behind for very large(as in player base and sales) games like 40k and AoS.

Hoping FW pick up on some sort of Hero line, like HH but for AoS (and 40k).  The heros from the books that have not (and will not) get plastic models.  Would fit their capability, freelance approach to small models and customer interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @RuneBrush for the Forge World news !

Now that main GW have a huge capacity production and do big plastic kits and swirly heroes, I think what FW could do best is :

1. Niche / Specialized Monsters and Heroes* ; EDIT : as @stato said above, a "Warhammer Age Of Sigmar Characters Series" based on Black Library heroes would be great.

2. Conversion packs (like WHF had for the Empire, the Stromcast one or HH) ; 

3. Fluff books exploring in depth some area of the Mortal Realms, with that dark and more "realistic" tones FW always had (see Tamurkhan or Imperial Armour, Siege of Vraks 1-3). 

*The problem being the esthetic consistency with the main GW lines, e.g. the Custodes Citadel and FW lines work very well together esthetically, even if in terms of units functions / rules some choices are redundant - the FW Moonclan line is more complementary with the Gloomspite Gitz in terms of rules, but  it"fits" less in terms of look IMO - excluding the awesome Squig Gobba of course!).

Also FW, please do not try the "swirly" effect Citadel is doing plastic  ; 30k Magnus' magical powers look less... well, good (again, IMO) than, say, the Avatar of Ynnead. 

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a little bit of wishlisting on LVO announcements?
I would love to hear what you guys expect to be announced or what you at least would wish to hear of :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charleston said:

How about a little bit of wishlisting on LVO announcements?
I would love to hear what you guys expect to be announced or what you at least would wish to hear of :)

Order Battletome: Seraphon

I expect to see Chaos marines and darkoath

Edited by PJetski
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charleston said:

How about a little bit of wishlisting on LVO announcements?
I would love to hear what you guys expect to be announced or what you at least would wish to hear of :)

Good idea.

I expect a teaser of Darkoath, announcement of next update BT (KO, Syl, FS or IJ) and models of next Shadespire bands.

Now if I were to make a wild, non conservayive wish, that would be Malerion tease.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...