Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it just me or is this rat a skaven noise marine?

NYOpendayReveals-Jan5-CarrionEmpireWarlock10rjvf.jpg

7 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Happy to see the fans of the armies liking the new stuff. Still though I was hooping for at least a new unit each. Skaven’s range is ancient and stopping me from starting it. 

yeah some of the models are like 15-20 years old, it like craftworld eldar bad

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Overread said:

Note that when they announced Carrion Empire they only alluded lightly to more things coming "eventually" for the army; nothing about eventually being "on the same day" 

Doubt it. They recycled 80% of the FeC release. We didn‘t get anything new really but the BT.

DISSAPPOINTEEED

• Like 1

Just now, JackStreicher said:

Doubt it. They recycled 80% of the FeC release. We didn‘t get anything new really but the BT.

DISSAPPOINTEEED

We get it, can you stop spamming this topic about it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Neffelo said:

We get it, can you stop spamming this topic about it? 

If it was spamming I would.

but thanks for pointing that out good Sir 

I can't believe people are being salty about this release. For ages people have asked that GW update old WHFB factions. Either you get a book, some endless spells and a scenery piece or you can wait for years to get a full model update. GW can't release new model ranges for every old faction every other month. 

What do people expect? 

• Like 22
  • Confused 1

That corpse cart really looks awfully specific to just be random filler art.

I fear there's no more to this release wave, but I suspect this thing has a CAD model somewhere in someone's "9th edition maybe" folder.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I can't believe people are being salty about this release. For ages people have asked that GW update old WHFB factions. Either you get a book, some endless spells and a scenery piece or you can wait for years to get a full model update. GW can't release new model ranges for every old faction every other month. 

What do people expect? 

I am pretty sure everyone ideally wants a Gloomspite or DoK type release.

But I think FEC have such a small model range to begin with is not helping.

15 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

What do people expect? 

Since most people can‘t get where I am coming from:

As a 3D Artist you try to recycle assets since it saves time. So let‘s say you have one base-mesh  for a human body which you re-use, but then you redo parts of it (face mostly). Same goes for smaller assets which mostly stay the same.

usually you change those base models to suit your client’s needs and to give your client a unique model. 

What you are seeing with the flesh eater Courts is just randomly placing already made assets, mostly not even changing them (I assume each of that models took about 3-4 hours in average. The throne took longer since the bones had to be placed, the goblet took shorter since you can do that with one array modifier...). I am already counting in the time it took to make them 3D printable. 

You simply would not do what GW did, it‘s insolent, lazy and just cheap.

they‘re a 2 Billion GBP Company which uses cheap „tricks“ you would expect from a shady Chinese business. 

Bow after knowing that and also hugely disliking the way it looks I am also aware that they will sell it for the usual price since they sell „premium“ products (what exactly was premium about those FeC spells again?).

so what do I expect: premium Products, which this isn‘t and there is no justification for it.

this is somewhat insulting to me especially since I didn‘t expect that from „new GW“.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I really love the new scenery that is being released with each faction. I’m just happy to be able to Warhammer up my tables every month, even though I don’t use the factions they are meant for.

• Like 3

I don't blame anyone for disappointed. I'm excited about to hear about the new lore, but in the case of FEC models, it's a little underwhelming (and not because of the lack of actual units, I think the Skaven stuff is awesome).

On the sliding scale of 'okay' to 'amazing' that AoS releases tend to fall on, the Skaven better represents its faction. The Gnawholes are a crowd-pleasing, intriguing depiction of just 'how' Skaven burrow through reality. Then their endless spells hit the key beats: bell, realmstone, the dreaded 13th spell.

Meanwhile, IMO the FEC stuff is a little generic. The endless spells look fine, but really: if no one told you which factions they were for, would you be able to guess? The goblet is generic death, only the red colour implying FEC or Soulblight. The fence would fit equally in deathmages/deadwalkers. None of this captures the admittedly elusive themes of madness, delusion and flesh-EATING that define FEC. The terrain piece is a little better, subtly hinting at the duality in the detail, but 'ruins and some skulls' is not the kind of maverick, creative thinking that GW has spoiled us with in GG, IDK, Maggotkin etc. 

I  don't want to harsh anyone's buzz. The model quality, as ever, is on point. But in terms of theming the army to its great AoS lore, opportunities were missed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

they‘re a 2 Billion GBP Company which uses cheap „tricks“ you would expect from a shady Chinese business. 

Personally I can't say I view it that way. Using methods to produce, at least for me, good, flavorful models in a more efficient manner is really only a good thing. If that justifies more models, and more importantly more battletomes updated to the AoS.2 standard, then that's only a positive for the game.

Of course I understand the sourness. Like @novakai said, we all want that sweet, sweet Gloomspite treatment. Flesheater courts could certainly go for more models, as I always found them a little samey. Then again, their flavor never really spoke to me anyways so I doubt I would have ever collected them anyways!

Beasts of chaos only really got a new terrain piece, and a handful of endless spells.... that took them from a faction I thought would just fade away to winning major events, and being the subject of a lot of positive hobby discussion.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

I am pretty sure everyone ideally wants a Gloomspite or DoK type release.

But I think FEC have such a small model range to begin with is not helping.

I understand that, but if you get something now then your army will be in a much better state than it has been since the aos launch. They are perfectly free and able to revisit these factions in the future. 

If they know that their big releases for the next year and a bit are planned out, then its better to support those that aren't part of that picture with a small release. That way those factions aren't left with nothing until 2020 or 2021.

I think if you look at the aos website and the store you can see a picture of how GW want the factions to look like going forward. If they can get all those into a playable state with battletomes they can revisit them later and dot in new releases. 

It's like with 40k, they wanted to get a codex out for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Since most people can‘t get where I am coming from:

As a 3D Artist you try to recycle assets since it saves time. So let‘s say you have one base-mesh  for a human body which you re-use, but then you redo parts of it (face mostly). Same goes for smaller assets which mostly stay the same.

usually you change those base models to suit your client’s needs and to give your client a unique model. 

What you are seeing with the flesh eater Courts is just randomly placing already made assets, mostly not even changing them (I assume each of that models took about 3-4 hours in average. The throne took longer since the bones had to be placed, the goblet took shorter since you can do that with one array modifier...). I am already counting in the time it took to make them 3D printable. 

You simply would not do what GW did, it‘s insolent, lazy and just cheap.

Bow after knowing that and also hugely disliking the way it looks I am also aware that they will sell it for the usual price since they sell „premium“ products (what exactly was premium about those FeC spells again?).

this is somewhat insulting to me especially since I didn‘t expect that from „new GW“.

I don't know anything about modelling. But if reusing some digital assets and reducing some of the time and cost it takes to develop new kits means we can get more, well maybe that's a good trade.

In WHFB armies might languish for years without rules updates or new kits. Ask a Brettonian player, or an Orcs and Goblins player what is was like playing WHFB. 

We are now in a position where, GW for all their faults, are supporting all of their armies for both core games. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HollowHills said:

We are now in a position where, GW for all their faults, are supporting all of their armies for both core games. 

For me the support would have been to give us at least one kit which includes unique models for our heroes)

🥺😣

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

For me the support would have been to give us at least one kit which includes unique models for our heroes)

🥺😣

Umm the Archreagant hero  from the Box doesn't count?

TBH I would have at least hope a named hero character (Ushoran) or plastic Varghulf

Well some people are theorising that the corpse cart and zombies are getting added to fec. With the cart becoming a wizard to cast the new spells. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Well some people are theorising that the corpse cart and zombies are getting added to fec. With the cart becoming a wizard to cast the new spells. 

As long as the zombies get a new kit.. gw should be embarrassed to use the old ones at this point lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

Umm the Archreagant hero  from the Box doesn't count?

TBH I would have at least hope a named hero character (Ushoran) or plastic Varghulf

The new Archregent for example is an awesome model! And that is Though it‘s also a 70% recycle =}  (enough was changed to make it unique and Interesting.

imo we never had issues with too few hero choices...Pretty much all the rest except for behemoths is lacking

@HollowHills

would be cool though how would ordinary zombies fit in?

Edited by JackStreicher

8 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

I could see this. I'm not a huge fan of those models, but I would not turn down expanding the range somewhat.

Would be cool if that Artwork we saw is a new dual-kit corpse cart.

9 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

maybe they are the Serfs

The theory goes that zombies are the serfs, ghouls are men at arms and so on. 

Based on the art for the fence spell it seems plausible. 

As mandzak said though the zombies are pretty bad sculpts.

Zombies and the corpse cart would be ideal things to port over and put in Flesh Eaters. Though might be that they are getting a reworked corpse cart. 

36 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

The new Archregent for example is an awesome model! And that is Though it‘s also a 70% recycle =}  (enough was changed to make it unique and Interesting.

imo we never had issues with too few hero choices...Pretty much all the rest except for behemoths is lacking

@HollowHills

Could you explain how it is a recycle? Which model does it recycle from?