The Rumour Thread

Regarding the Pitched Battle Profiles booklet, I don't think anyone has mentioned this in here: It will be sold as part of the GHB and not separately, it's just to make that part of it more easily portable and so that the GHB2019 itself remains more "timeless" after subsequent ones come out.

• Like 2

This was really disappointing preview. Even the usual "you shouldn't have had your expectations so high up" arguments don't play well here. All I was expecting was new battletome (with endless spells/scenery, no new models), more complete picture about forbidden power, and new warcry warband. Well I got the warband, but nothing else. Contrasting paints are very very interesting though.

• Like 2

GW tried to do a video teaser with real actors. To me, it looks way off, dumb and breaks the "magic" of the miniatures. (And to be honnest, the fight itself is not really good). It'd be really better to do this kind of teaser with 3D characters. Weapons sould look better and more consistent with the character look.

• Like 1

After reading soulwars recently im hoping its deathwalkres

I want necromancers in mechsuits made out of zombies. and a queen with trees made of zombies, two massive zombie direwolves and unzipping her face for a different one for differnet abilities

2 hours ago, Austin said:

Warhammer Weekly is having some live discussion at 4pm UK time.  He says that there was a bunch of stuff left out of the preview post.

edit-

This is via Twitter.

Think that’s to entice viewers. Been people posting stuff on twitter Insta all day and there’s not been anything new. Or mentions of Cool things they saw but can’t show cos of embargoes etc. 

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Think that’s to entice viewers. Been people posting stuff on twitter Insta all day and there’s not been anything new. Or mentions of Cool things they saw but can’t show cos of embargoes etc. 

Yeah it was more of an explanation of the seminar than new things.  Still, was nice to get context because that was lacking from the community post I though.

26 minutes ago, Nos said:

well, he said they confirmed atleast a battle tome for each alliance still coming this year and warcry is confirmed july.

It is bulls*** that they are using a Warcry unit as the big "Age of Sigmar" preview of Warhammer Fest- meanwhile they haven't even bothered to reveal to us yet in what way this will even fit into Age of Sigmar.  Big events like this with only one AoS reveal timeslot should be reserved for at least 1 pure BIG AoS reveal... If I had paid to be there, like some of the poor AoS fans did, I would be disappointed beyond words.

Give the poor Slaves players some love already and reveal what your plan is for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Zanzou said:

It is bulls*** that they are using a Warcry unit as the big "Age of Sigmar" preview of Warhammer Fest- meanwhile they haven't even bothered to reveal to us yet in what way this will even fit into Age of Sigmar.  Big events like this with only one AoS reveal timeslot should be reserved for at least 1 pure BIG AoS reveal... If I had paid to be there, like some of the poor AoS fans did, I would be disappointed beyond words.

Give the poor Slaves players some love already and reveal what your plan is for them.

I agree with this, I would be completely let down if this was the big AoS timeslot reveal for an event I was at.  Also, thanks for the STD support.  How else are we going to POUND the table with our STDs?

1 minute ago, novakai said:

and hopefully, GW renames them with a better Acronym then STD

What!?!?  You don't like conquering others with your STDs?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I would rather have new miniatures for several factions than Warcry. Also hate that they are pooling it on AoS. 

It isnt. Is a game in the mortal realms just like shadespire.

There is still a few warbands to go so i do not expect much for REAL AoS anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm really not getting the disappointment. I know that everyone is wanting some massive faction release to be announced with tons of new kits, and they specifically want it to be their faction of choice... but is that really the bar we are setting? Not every announcement is going to be a major new models release.

I for one love the fact that GW is now willing to supplement their big faction releases with minor releases that are more focused on rules updates. It seems to me that people think this is an either/or thing, and that these rules updates are replacing major model-focused releases. They aren't.

It used to be that we'd get a couple of faction releases with new kits per year at the very most.

Let's look back at WHFB 8th edition:

2011- three factions

2012- two faction

2013- five factions

2014- two factions

I'll note that I was not playing WHFB at this time so I don't know if these were all major releases with new kits, but I'll assume that they were.  Over that four year span we are averaging three new releases per year.

I also missed the first bit of AOS, so I can't speak to that, but let's look at the last couple of years:

In 2017 we got a full faction release in KO (11 new kits), a faction update in Tzeentch (8? new kits),  and a new subfaction in Stormcast Vanguard (5? new kits) along with a new battletome (Khorne) and a smattering of new models (Horticulus, Gavriel, and Naeve). 27 kits, 2 major releases, 1 minor release, 1 battletome.

In 2018 we got a faction update in Nurgle (7 new kits), a faction update in Daughters of Khaine (3 new kits), a new faction in Nighthaunt (~16 new kits? more if you count alternate sculpts), a new subfaction in Sacrosanct (~9 new kits?), and a new faction in Idoneth Deepkin (12 new kits) plus two new battletomes (Legions of Nagash and Beasts of Chaos) and a smattering of individual releases (the 4 harbinger kits).  53 kits, 4 major releases, 1 minor release, and 2 battletomes.

In 2019 so far we've gotten a faction update in Gloomspite Gitz (13 new kits), a faction update in Hedonites of Slaanesh (8 new kits), a faction update in Blades of Khorne (6 new kits), three new battletomes (Skaven, FEC, and Fyreslayers) which had a total of 8 new kits between them plus the arch-revenant.  36 new kits, 2 major releases1 minor release3 battletomes so far. 

I wouldn't even expect 2019 to compete with 2018 given that the game got a new edition in 2018, but so far it's keeping pace nicely.  Even if you discount all of the faction terrain and endless spells sets, 2019 so far still has 24 new kits released as of mid May. That's only 3 kits short of the entirety of 2017. 

I don't know how many new kits got released with each new WHFB 8th edition faction push, but I doubt that the average is any more than 10. So that'd be about ~30 new kits a year, and I bet it's lower.

We're getting just as many new kits as ever, and over the last two years we've been getting dramatically more new kits and have gotten these new battletome updates on top of that. None of this is even counting updates that are for other games that happen to be compatible with AOS -- so I'm not counting any of the Underworlds stuff or the Warcry stuff. 

In this context, I really just don't get the disappointment and negativity. GW is announcing awesome new stuff at an unprecedented pace and  yet people complain that not every reveal is a 10 kit major faction release. If every reveal was a big release, then we'd only be seeing two or three reveals a year instead of the reveal every couple weeks that we've been getting in 2019. 

I certainly can't tell you guys how to feel, but I hope you understand the message that you are sending to GW. You want cake, and GW is giving you just as much cake as always, but now they are offering you ice cream between servings of cake and you are turning your nose up at it because it isn't more cake. That reaction isn't going to get you more cake, it's just going to discourage them from offering the ice cream. 

Phew, OK. All that being said, the new warband is not my cup of tea but the lore implications of a presumably chaos warband with a strong elf feel to are very interesting. I haven't used GW paints in ages, but this contrast stuff could possibly change that. I'm skeptical of the results that they are showing (could it really be that easy?) and will want to wait for some reviews by the community. If it lives up to the advertising though it could be a real game changer for batch painting.

The thing I am most excited about by far is the announcement of the new 1k point rules pack. I know people are already dismissing this without even seeing what it contains. Personally, I'm constantly running into the problem of people not having enough for a 2k game or not having time for a 2k game. Unfortunately, in my experience small games suck. There are balance issues for sure, but more fundamentally the battleplans just don't work as well with lower points totals. While this new rules pack may not fix everything (heck, it may not fix anything), it's at least a real chance for a dramatic improvement in the gameplay quality of low points games. That would be absolutely massive for quality of life and for the hobby in general.

A huge percentage of new players get introduced to the game at low points values. New players are less likely to have enough stuff for a 2k game, and things like slow grow leagues are really popular and great for introducing new players to the game. A good first impression is key to retaining these players, so any improvement to the quality of gameplay at low points values is going to have an outsized effect on new player retention. 

That is why I am really excited for this reveal. New models? Not my jam, but cool -- I'm sure others like them a lot! At least four new battletomes this year? REALLY cool -- especially given that it means a new Death tome. What could that end up being? New rules support for lower point value games? Now that is HYPE.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@swarmofseals

My general feeling is that GW will keep right along doing exactly whatever it is they were gonna do in the first place when it comes to selling models and making money.  

Any business that gets mad at its customers and decides to punish them by not selling to them....probably won’t be a business for too much longer. 

Althrough it´s a pitty that we don´t know the next BT, I think that this is not a bad thing. Time goes by so fast that the next announcement will come like in 2 weeks anyway. It still feels like just a week ago that we´ve heard first time about Fyreslayers, and now we have them on boards and even the new Sylvaneth Box released. Yeah, I would´ve loved to hear about the new Darkoath Book, but yet we´ve seen so much cool stuff today.

The new paints are a great addition that will hopefully reduce the grey-plastic-issue a lot of us have. This will benefit the community in general.
The 40k releases were great,too. Althrough I feel a little pinch of envy as the new Chaos Knights have way cooler legs than the loyal ones. Obligatory Primaris Release seems also like a great way to overcompensate certain things by adding a new gun to them.

I really like the design of the Serpent Ghyran Chaos Warriors for Warcry. Althrough I am still confused about how this will work with the new Darkoath/Slaves-Tome, I am relieft that there is finally a subgroup of them which I don´t dislike from their design. I mean, that two-snake-dude is awesome!

Honestly I think the only reason we don't have the next Tome details is because Sylvanath is still not out and GW likely can't do anything till the container ship gets moving through customs again. 

The Battletomes, Endless Spells, Terrain and Cards are all overseas productions. So the basic core of every single BT that they are currently releasing comes from China so if its all stuck in importing GW has nothing to release. So I can appreciate them not saying "Ohh here' sa fancy new battletome that you also - cannot have - for a period of time we are unsure of. Better to leave us wanting Sylvanath only and then bring the next one out fast.

• Like 4

@swarmofseals well put.

I for one feel only sparks of joy when any niche or group (be it game or faction) get new things - and people are getting new things at an unprecedented rate. It's great.

I do get the disappointment though. I don't agree but I get it.

I think what happens is that people simply see what they want in a lot of rumours. Those silhoutte reveals are the absolute best for this. It's like a rorshach inkblot test.  They build an expectation (based on what they want to see) and then watch it get shot down. Disappointment logically follows.

6 minutes ago, Austin said:

Any business that gets mad at its customers and decides to punish them by not selling to them....probably won’t be a business for too much longer. 

Ohh, I'm not saying that GW would do this because it's mad at its customers. It would make a decision for business reasons.

Everything I've read about GW suggests that the old corporate culture was to prioritize models, with rules being a second class citizen at best. Clearly that has shifted, as we are now seeing a lot more rules-focused products. 

I'm sure making that shift was a struggle. Every large company has internal factions with different beliefs about how the business should be run. I'm sure there are people at GW advocating for taking rules design more seriously, and I'd be shocked if there weren't people who still advocate for the old way.

One can easily imagine this conversation happening:

Manager: "this is our plan to release a bunch of new rules updates over the next year!"

Executive: "Sorry, we are re-allocating your team to other tasks. Every time you guys release a new rules package without a major models release the community complains and is very negative. Clearly our customers don't want these updates"

Manager: =(

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turragor said:

@swarmofseals well put.

I for one feel only sparks of joy when any niche or group (be it game or faction) get new things - and people are getting new things at an unprecedented rate. It's great.

I do get the disappointment though. I don't agree but I get it.

I think what happens is that people simply see what they want in a lot of rumours. Those silhoutte reveals are the absolute best for this. It's like a rorshach inkblot test.  They build an expectation (based on what they want to see) and then watch it get shot down. Disappointment logically follows.

i don't think it building an expectation that got people disappointed but rather just lack of substance from the preview comparatively to the other 2 seminars. Even people who didn't expect much from the preview got even less than they thought

Fault probably lies with the shipping problem delaying the Sylvaneath BT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swarmofseals said:

Ohh, I'm not saying that GW would do this because it's mad at its customers. It would make a decision for business reasons.

Everything I've read about GW suggests that the old corporate culture was to prioritize models, with rules being a second class citizen at best. Clearly that has shifted, as we are now seeing a lot more rules-focused products. 

I'm sure making that shift was a struggle. Every large company has internal factions with different beliefs about how the business should be run. I'm sure there are people at GW advocating for taking rules design more seriously, and I'd be shocked if there weren't people who still advocate for the old way.

One can easily imagine this conversation happening:

Manager: "this is our plan to release a bunch of new rules updates over the next year!"

Executive: "Sorry, we are re-allocating your team to other tasks. Every time you guys release a new rules package without a major models release the community complains and is very negative. Clearly our customers don't want these updates"

Manager: =(

Ok I can see that being a potential under those circumstances.

But, I don't think that is what people are disappointed in today (and I could be wrong, speaking for many people here I guess).  I think the rules previews are well received, but that people expected something more at a major event.  And to be fair, GW goes out of their way to talk about how huge the previews will be. I think that the reactions would have been better if GW hadn't left it to third parties to explain the "one (at least) more battletome for each GA" thing.

• Like 1