The Rumour Thread

I'm praying all the gods chaos, gobos, whatever, that we won't have any time soon another dual army box.

Before Carrion empire, I was waiting quietly  some news  about the StD/Darkoath to complete my big boxes (battleforce).

Then carrion Empire is anounced. I was just a little interested by the stormfiends and some warp machine. But not more like that.

...I ended up with 2 new full armies, FEC and  Skaven. This box was so good with...  SOoooooooooooooo good battletomes. I have some debts for 3 generations now, 4 jobs, no life.

Please GW, don't do this again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm praying all the gods chaos, gobos, whatever, that we won't have any time soon another dual army box.

Before Carrion empire, I was waiting quietly  some news  about the StD/Darkoath to complete my big boxes (battleforce).

Then carrion Empire is anounced. I was just a little interested by the stormfiends and some warp machine. But not more like that.

...I ended up with 2 new full armies, FEC and  Skaven. This box was so good with...  SOoooooooooooooo good battletomes. I have some debts for 3 generations now, 4 jobs, no life.

Please GW, don't do this again. 

Remember to say the safety word if you need help.

I really hope we get some additional units for each of the newer armies from the first 2 years.

This is a rough two weeks for Sigmar.  Nothing on pre-order last week, and nothing this week either...my wallet certainly is thankful, but it is hard not having many rumors to speculate on.  I am not saying GW should have something every week, I just want my tease, you know, new miniatures to lust over.  Not much for Sigmar on the black library front either.

Rumour (sort of, its out there but not officially). 

The new 40k Shadowspear box will be £105, for 2 mono-pose forces and no big rule book (but 2 codex pamphlets). Fairly big change in pricing structure, but in line with start collecting increases.  Whats next for AoS, and will we see prices rising on more new stuff, or even existing stuff?

It's a £10 to £15 price rise considering the other twin army boxes were around the £90-5 mark. That the boxed set might contain a bit more and has two mini-codexes built into it might account for the price rise alone. 

Also don't forget these boxed sets are often heavily discounted from retail prices so the regular retail prices might not be a huge increase or any increase at all over what's currently out there. 

27 minutes ago, passtheKhorneplease said:

I had a feeling this box was going to set a new pricing bar.  It is certainly the biggest box (in terms of hype) 40k has gotten in a long time.

Why hype? It is the same that have been for the 70% of the big boxes of war40k in the last 30 years(space teletubies vs khaos)

• Haha 1

All new sculpts every single one.  The 40k big boxes from last year all had recycled elements.  These are all new sculpts and as we of the Sigmar wing of warhammer know the sculpting last year and this have been incredible so far.   Chaos marines has always been the main foe in 40K so them getting reworked is a pretty big deal.  Also there big bad Abaddon has returned.  Also I am totally derailing this thread so I should stop.

Edited by passtheKhorneplease

1 minute ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Any news on the next couple of Aos releases? 

Khorne is confirmed next

We'll also see Slaves to Darkness and Slaanesh some time this year

Then we will probably also get battletomes (with endless spells, maybe terrain, maybe a new hero) for every faction on the ageofsigmar.com website

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PJetski said:

Khorne is confirmed next

We'll also see Slaves to Darkness and Slaanesh some time this year

Then we will probably also get battletomes (with endless spells, maybe terrain, maybe a new hero) for every faction on the ageofsigmar.com website

True although I can’t see chaos being released in succession. Whispers talk about a faction with an incredible bunch of rules following khorne, but what?? 

• Like 1

They confirmed one week preorder so my info on two weeks turned out to be nonsense... 

Also personal opinion is that the Shadowspear box is a bit of a con. Easy to build monopose models, fixed weapon options (bad ones), questions around whether the unit sizes will be viable in matched play (obliterators) and no hardback rulebook. For £105 that seems like a bad deal. 

If I were interested I'd wait for the inevitable multipart kits for CSM. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

They confirmed one week preorder so my info on two weeks turned out to be nonsense... 

Also personal opinion is that the Shadowspear box is a bit of a con. Easy to build monopose models, fixed weapon options (bad ones), questions around whether the unit sizes will be viable in matched play (obliterators) and no hardback rulebook. For £105 that seems like a bad deal. 

If I were interested I'd wait for the inevitable multipart kits for CSM. 

I know we’re not supposed to mention this but spikeybitz has the rules for the new models released, obliterators are now available in units of 1

• Like 1

I think Shadowspear firmly cemented that GW "dual box" sets are great for people getting into the hobby and looking to start new armies or expand existing ones. 

The focus (and hobby) isn't 100% about having the most lethally competitive army going and more about having a really nice looking army that's fun to play with/against.  We had it with Soul Wars too, although positively this box at least appears to contain units that aren't undersized.  Ultimately though the decision on what you pick up is down to you, gone are the days when we pick up every big box release because it's amazing value* and we want all of the models!

* Amazing value is also relative - if you only want one special character from a big box, it's very expensive.  If you want the models from one side and have a friend who wants the rest, it's amazing value

• Like 4

I think the floaty autocannon models would have looked a LOT better if GW had given them some jetpack flames modelled onto them; right now they look like a ground model with a random flight stick stuck up their behind - really odd considering how great GW has been with things like Khinerai in hiding the flight stick need. You'd think they'd have modelled the flames or jet or something. 

New Obliterators I think are going to live up to their name now and look neat - I think the GW paint job is simpler to make it more accessible to new painters, I think more experienced painters will bring out the flesh tones against the metal far more strongly. 

• Like 1

So, general consensus is pricing is for Shadowspear now out the 'autobuy' or 'buy 3!!!' range, especially without a big hardback rulebook included but still has good value for many gamers/collectors/hobbyists. 

What do we think this means for AoS?  will we get a set like this for AoS this year, or is it still too close to Soulwars release?  In the past id have said its too close but GW is pumping things out at a rapid pace and im starting to think we might get one this year.

Edited by stato

If GW releases one of the new Aelf forces then there will be at least one major release, however it would be a BIG trick if GW were to release two full armies at the same time for AoS (light and dark aelves in the same box - yeah I can see that flying off the shelves so fast it would make Carrion Empire look like a sluggish sale).

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, TristanGray said:

I know Ben Johnson is painting Slaanesh right now, he posted a Chariot on Twitter today - so I suspect they’re out sooner rather than later. He usually is sort of a bell ringer for what battletome is getting an update with his hobby. 

I personally wouldn't read too much into it. Whilst I wouldn't say that GW are working on Slaanesh, I don't think this means that there is anything coming soon. He's the sort of person who will happily paint up an army because he enjoys doing it. ;) 

38 minutes ago, Jetengine said:

Yeah, the Tourney hounds are a pretty miserable bunch over this new box. Whining about points etc ignoring all the new incredible sculpts.

Yes it's one of the things I find very annoying. I can see why some people are moaning but at the end of the day this is a starter set (and effectively the rebranding of Chaos and Space Marines in my eyes).

6 minutes ago, stato said:

So, general consensus is pricing is now out the 'autobuy' or 'buy 3!!!' range, especially without a big hardback rulebook included. 

What do we think this means for AoS?  will we get a set like this for AoS this year, or is it still too close to Soulwars release?  In the past id have said its too close but GW is pumping things out at a rapid pace and im starting to think we might get one this year.

I think it's testing the waters to see what people will spend on a set. If it is £105, I suspect it won't do as well as it would if it was £100 due to the psychological effect of the cost. For AOS, it doesn't mean much other than saying GW likes to do these releases as they know they are popular. After the Carrion Empire release last month, I think we will see more of these sets.

Just now, Overread said:

If GW releases one of the new Aelf forces then there will be at least one major release, however it would be a BIG trick if GW were to release two full armies at the same time for AoS (light and dark aelves in the same box - yeah I can see that flying off the shelves so fast it would make Carrion Empire look like a sluggish sale).

Personally I think we would see an Aelf vs Slaanesh set as it would make sense. From a story point of view, the followers of Slaanesh have found a focal point that is tethering Slaanesh's Prison and by disrupting it, they could free Him/Her. So it would be quite cool to have a mix of the followers of Malerion and Tyrion defending this point against the chaos forces. I suspect this will be for next year but hard to tell how good GW are at releasing things!

• Like 1