The Rumour Thread

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

They are less than an inch tall each and wear robes head to toe - what do you expect the design team to do with that?

I've just assembled 40 Chainrasps. They are basically flying blankets with swords or clubs. Compare them to Stabbas. Huuuge difference. But ok. Glad you are happy with them, I am less. Always wanted to have at least one army from each Grand Alliance - only Destruction left for me. Maybe after all I will find a build for an army where Stabbas are absent or very few. Or maybe should wait for other releases. ;)

I've once read, maybe even on this forum, that when you choose an army for yourself you should ask yourself, whether or not you like the battleline, as most of your assembling/painting time will be focused on those guys. I agree with that. The more I am surprised that GW leaves the most common unit for GG obsolete. That would be the first thing I would change when designing GG.

Edited by Aryann
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I've just assembled 40 Chainrasps. They are basically flying blankets with swords or clubs. Compare them to Stabbas. Huuuge difference. But ok. Glad you are happy with them, I am less. Always wanted to have at least one army from each Grand Alliance - only Destruction left for me. Maybe after all I will find a build for an army where Stabbas are absent or very few. Or maybe should wait for other releases. ;)

I've once read, maybe even on this forum, that when you choose an army for yourself you should ask yourself, whether or not you like the battleline, as most of your assembling/painting time will be focused on those guys. I agree with that. The more I am surprised that GW leaves the most common unit for GG obsolete. That would be the first thing I would change when designing GG.

You could just play Spiders or Trolls ? 

• Like 1

The stabba/shoota situation reminds me of Plague Monks.

A bit dated, sure, but - as was stated above - with 90% of the model being a robe, it's difficult to see much potential for something awe-inspiring.

I am not denying the replacement kit would have been better, but probably not enough of an improvement for the resources that would be required.

When you look at Zombies, Direwolves, Salamanders, Frost Sabres, Keeper of Secrets, Icefall Yhetees, Gorgers, Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Blood Knights, Centigors, Night Runners, Gutter Runners, Furies, Marauders, Vargulfs and Plague Censer Bearers, there is still plenty worse out there.

TK is where this mistake was made IMHO. Some lovely new models (e.g. Sphinx, Necropolis Knights, etc.), but the same goofy and out-of-proportion skeletons as the bread-and-butter that dragged the whole range down. However, the goblins are not on that level of bad, IMHO.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I actually prefer the battle for skulls pass 1-piece version of these sculpts for that reason.  

I actually find the battle for skull pass sculpts slightly more interesting. They have more variations than you can do with the box set one (excluding converting of course) and have more details like pouches, reminiscent of the kev adams sculpts. The details an be a little softer (which can be usual for single piece starter models) but still easy enough to paint around the issue spots. 

I wish i had brought more skull pass ones and less box set ones, even with the amount of converting I like to do with the set ones. 

2 hours ago, Jetengine said:

You could just play Spiders or Trolls ? 

But Spiderfung are even worse! All those Spider Riders look as if those spiders are laying eggs not fighting. 😑There probably was a discussion within GW like "we don't want to expand on the idea of spider goblin faction so either we leave them behind or we implement them into GG without new models". Still better than nothing.

Troggoths however... 😀

Yeah, they are really tempting. If a troll can be tempting that is.

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

When you look at Zombies, Direwolves, Salamanders, Frost Sabres, Keeper of Secrets, Icefall Yhetees, Gorgers, Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Blood Knights, Centigors, Night Runners, Gutter Runners, Furies, Marauders, Vargulfs and Plague Censer Bearers, there is still plenty worse out there.

Not going to be popular here but I see all those not as an AoS asset but a liability -AoS would be better without them but since they already exist and there are quite a few people that would be let's say "unhappy" with deleting them completely, they are still being sold (and so far there is no replacement for them).

Why I believe their existance is bad? Because they provide an option "sure they are ugly but not ugly enough that needs replacement so let's leave them as they are and integrate them with our new range for faction X" - just like with Stabbas. I'd rather new Death faction was brand new like Nighthaunt rather than be a mix of Bat Swarms, Zombies and new shiny models that will come.

4 hours ago, Aryann said:

I am surprised that GW leaves the most common unit for GG obsolete

They are hardly "obsolete."

You may have preferred an newer sculpt, but these are in scale, match the look of the range, and perfectly playable. I think "obsolete" is, perhaps, overstating things a touch.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

TK is where this mistake was made IMHO. Some lovely new models (e.g. Sphinx, Necropolis Knights, etc.), but the same goofy and out-of-proportion skeletons as the bread-and-butter that dragged the whole range down

Hey now! I lovingly painted several hundred of those skeletons for my three Tomb Kings armies, buddy! You leave them alone! 😁

(and I still have a few hundred unassembled)

Edited by Sleboda

I know we've had lots of rumors about extentions and updates to old factions(goblins, Slannesh and Slaves to Darkness), but have we had any rumor mongers actually point to coming new factions? Of course there's been plenty of speculation on thinks like light elves that were mentioned in a recent book(the new core rule book?) and grotbag scuttlers got name dropped once in the new Gloomspite book, but I don't know that we've had anybody mention hearing about actual work on anything new, or have we?

We just don't get the rumour service we used too. 

We know that there are "dark" and "light" aelf factions to come, but when we'll see either of those forces is impossible to tell. We don't even know what GW are going to do with many of the existing Aelf forces. 

About the only thing we can debate on is what we might see for the Flesh Eater Courts and Skaven after this new duel box. Otherwise we've no real material to go on. We know a human faction and two Aelven factions are coming and that Dark Oath are coming - but we've really nothing on specifics. 

The only other rumour is a more fleshed out Skirmish update that was hinted at for a while here and what was thought could be the WD but turned out it wasn't. However that is again just logical that GW likely has a killsteam level of support and structure for AoS in Skirmish in the works to come when they've got more of the line cleared up as to what is what. 

Other than that a lot of rumours are just logical guesswork and deduction. With GW pumping out news and articles as fast as they do there's just no pressure for more rumours or staff to risk jobs to sneak info out 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Several recent "how to build" videos from GW (building some god aligned knights) point out that something hot on the launching pad is coming sooner rather than later for StD/Everchoosen/(darkoath). 

I have heard rumblings that chaos undivided is getting attention soon™ with StD in AoS and Black Legion in 40k getting books, but not sure if they're going to be at the same time. On the 40k side, all signs seem to be pointing toward Black Legion very soon within the current Vigilus campaign(they've already got two new models), so if they do a dual chaos undivided release, we could see something for StD very soon too(as in it'd likely be the next AoS book).

Grotbag scuttlers have been mentioned several times in fluff now but there have been no real rumours on ever seeing them as a battletome. I do suspect we will see another airship based force in the future, but GW will probably be weighing up the options as to which one will be most successful in terms of sales: Grots or Skaven.

As @Overread says, I think the days of rumours are long gone. Everything we get now is people pretty much wishlisting or guessing. The only time we get actual rumours are  is when something leaks but GW are on that right away now and will often 'leak' it themselves that same day to cover the leak.
This is pretty much a 'look whats on the community page' thread now and then general chit chat about the newest release.

But we've been down this road before, rumours dry up, people ask for to be back on track. Chit chat resumes. Is it not time to make a second rumour thread for rumours only and just let this one be what it is. It's perfectly fine to steer this one, but as complaints always seem to be that there is too much general chat for the people that just want rumours, how about
trialling a no reply rumour thread on the forum?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

But we've been down this road before, rumours dry up, people ask for to be back on track. Chit chat resumes. Is it not time to make a second rumour thread for rumours only and just let this one be what it is. It's perfectly fine to steer this one, but as complaints always seem to be that there is too much general chat for the people that just want rumours, how about trialling a no reply rumour thread on the forum?

Yeah I agree it would make sense to do something like splitting this out at this point. This thread is just this endless cycle, and it creates unnecessary sniping back and forth every time we get to this 'not enough rumours!' phase of the cycle. Maybe as simple as just having a 'latest news' thread for general discussion, and leave this thread behind for only rumours (and see how fast it dies from lack of posts :P)

9 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

On the 40k side, all signs seem to be pointing toward Black Legion very soon within the current Vigilus campaign(they've already got two new models)

If you include the Servants of the Abyss from Blackstone Fortress then actually that's around another 27 new models you can drop straight into a Black Legion army. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they (or versions of) got released outside of BSF at some point soon. 

1 hour ago, Blueraven84 said:

"Thomas Holdsworth" on Facebook Skaven group: BT March, Fyreslayers Feb.

Unknown rumourmonger to me but hey it is something at least... 

We heard "Fyreslayers soon" from that one french YouTuber back in October. Maybe it got pushed back? 

2 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

"Thomas Holdsworth" on Facebook Skaven group: BT March, Fyreslayers Feb.

Unknown rumourmonger to me but hey it is something at least... 

I suppose this means Skaven Battletome March? 

Or by BT does he mean what I want it to mean?