Are battletomes needed?

Ailexam

14 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

Or you can download free the battletome and buy the spells if you cant afford to buy both

Far as I'm aware you cannot download the battletome anywhere for free legally. GW sells ebook versions but they have a cost the same as the physical tome. 

Now the warscrolls for each model are online for free on the GW website as are the points (the former in the store page under downloads/rules on each model an the latter in the warscroll builder) however all the alliance abilities, equipment, spells etc... are all paid for content in the tome; as is the lore and artwork. 

4 hours ago, Ailexam said:

Hey, so I have a huge skaven army now and with the new battletome I was thinking... Should I buy the battletome or buy the endless skaven spells instead? 

The tome will make the bigger difference in my opinion. In everything. Makes the game easier to play to have the hard copy at hand (although that's a bit personal of course), the extra rules gives you a lot more options (artefact, abilities, traits are not available for download legally), and it offers the background info, point costs en probably more than I can think of now. 

Spells are just the spells... Cool addition but not much more to say about it than that. 

I don't think recommending piracy is the way to go. That said you can learn about allegiance abilities and the like by watching a review video or two. 

You could use this to try out a game or two,  then decide if the battletome is for you. 

Personally I think you could scratchbuild the endless spells pretty easily, especially if you have a bunch of rats lying around. 

I would buy the tome and scratch build the spells. You could then buy the spells later if you particularly like using them.

I'd recommend battletome, where else would you find your allegance abilities? (Well I know where, but that's piracy)
I have battletomes for both of my armies because I just like them and I would rather proxy spells to test them out instead of passing a battletome even for a week

Tome for sure!  There are more spells for the Grey Seers and Warlocks in there than you can find on the warscrolls alone, plus the various Clan abilities as mentioned above.  Many builds won't even need Endless Spells...those are great for rounding out an armylist to fill in random points leftover, but  not for building an army around.

Hi there @Ailexam,

the battletome is technically not needed in a game of aos, as long as you just want to go the narrative or open play route.

A problem may occur when you really want to go the matched play Rute most of us players have fallen for, where you have well 2options.

one of them and the well cheaper and easier one would be to buy the Skaventide battletome, which gives you the whole range of the Skaven army, as well as spell lores new allegiance ability’s and a massive archive of lore.

another  route would be to just play your army as General chaos with the grand allegiance, the problem with is just that the rules for all grand allegiances can only be found in the core rulebook, which well costs about 20dollar more than the actual battletome.

So yeah the best option would be for you to well buy the book.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:27 AM, AaronWIlson said:

If you can only afford one, I'd go for the battletome mate. The different clan allegiance abilities, as well as batallions etc will add a HUGE amount of variation to what you can do with the army, 

Question: do the allegiance abilities exist in Azyr or BattleScribe? Or is the only way to get them through buying the tomb?

Don't forget the Tomes also contain a wealth of faction lore, painting tips and examples as well as all the spell lores, allegiance abilities, warscrolls, points and any additional faction details. They are a great all round resource and really help set the feel for an army up. 

Archived