Beasts of chaos army list

Skavenblight

Hello all just back from Sheffield slaughter, finished on 2 wins using mixed herd in dark walkers... Didn't really get what I was hoping for... Had a few ideas running through my head, what do you guys think of this list what would you change any advise is welcome

Allegiance: Chaos
Tzaangor Shaman (180)
- General
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
Great Bray Shaman (100)
40 x Ungors (200)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Tzaangors of Beasts of Chaos (480)
9 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (420)
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 197

9 minutes ago, Skavenblight said:

Are 30 for really better? 

Not even remotely - 40 Ungors is just a better buy than Gors. Gors are in a pretty unfortunate spot in the book right now. But there's enough of that talk in the BoC main thread - onto the list. I do have a few questions before moving forward. 

Why the dragon ogres in 2 units of 3 instead of 1 of 6? You've got the Shaggoth to give them rerolls of 1 to hit and possibly all to wound if you cast his warscroll spell. I think a unit of 6 is a better option here, lowers your drop count and gives you a 30 wound unit that can really help your army grind out a flank. 

Why all the endless spells? BoC aren't a strong casting army, we have no bonuses to cast and basically our only 'power move' is the Tzaangor Shaman potion turn. You've got 90 points wrapped up in spells that you may never cast (especially the palisade which is a utility spell and a luxury even for armies that excel at casting). I'd be inclined to drop Shackles and the Palisade for a Command Point to start the game. 

Speaking of Command Points - if you're not going for a Great Fray, why not make the Shaggoth your general for Ancient Beyond Knowing? You'd still meet your Battle Line requirements and you'd have a CP boost to start the game. 

Hopefully these are some helpful ideas that don't come across as just trying to tear apart your list. I actually run one very similar and I've had a lot of success with it.  

First of all thanks. 

Tbh I was abit confused about taking 30 gor over 40 ungor as I know gor are useless haha

The drago ogers in 2 units were just because of the base size figured I'd struggle to pile 6 in so went for min units 

I was thinking I'd gone silly with endless spells but wasn't really sure what else to take tbh 

The shagoth thing is a good idea I hadnt but a great fray in because I wasn't sure which would be best but I may leave it and go command point heavy based on what you have put above..

Out of interest what would you army the dragon ogers with in a unit of 6? 

33 minutes ago, Skavenblight said:

Out of interest what would you army the dragon ogers with in a unit of 6? 

Mine are 3 Crushers/3 Glaives - I wish I'd gone 4 and 2 but that's neither here nor there. I don't have much trouble getting all 6 into range to at least fight with their primary weapon if not their clawed forelimbs. Generally speaking you can angle 2 Dragon Ogres out to allow you to slide a Glaive armed Ogre in to get in range with his 2" reach. 

34 minutes ago, Skavenblight said:

I was thinking I'd gone silly with endless spells but wasn't really sure what else to take tbh 

I'd highly recommend Ungor Skirmishers or Centigors. I prefer the Skirmishers for the added bit of ranged poke ability plus their pre-game move allows you to really create a forced null zone to protect against the likes of Gav bombs and Eels. That said Centigors are also a great choice, incredibly fast with a decent offensive output - great for trying to tie up shooting units or playing against units like Dire Wolves. 

36 minutes ago, Skavenblight said:

The shagoth thing is a good idea I hadnt but a great fray in because I wasn't sure which would be best but I may leave it and go command point heavy based on what you have put above..

This will all come down to personal choice and how much you like any given command trait. Dan Bradshaw (who won Sheffield) I know doesn't run a Fray and instead runs Shadowpelt on his Tzaangor Shaman. Obviously that's working out for him so its probably worth tinkering around with. I do think that if you intend to run a Fray Gavespawn is the only one worth running - but again I think the Fray/Command Trait set up is going to be trial and error to find the set up that works best for your play style. I personally like the Ancient Beyond Knowing Shaggoth because it fits well with using fixed 6s for runs and re-roll charges but I've lately switched out and gone back to Gavespawn. 

8 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

Mine are 3 Crushers/3 Glaives - I wish I'd gone 4 and 2 but that's neither here nor there. I don't have much trouble getting all 6 into range to at least fight with their primary weapon if not their clawed forelimbs. Generally speaking you can angle 2 Dragon Ogres out to allow you to slide a Glaive armed Ogre in to get in range with his 2" reach. 

I'd highly recommend Ungor Skirmishers or Centigors. I prefer the Skirmishers for the added bit of ranged poke ability plus their pre-game move allows you to really create a forced null zone to protect against the likes of Gav bombs and Eels. That said Centigors are also a great choice, incredibly fast with a decent offensive output - great for trying to tie up shooting units or playing against units like Dire Wolves. 

This will all come down to personal choice and how much you like any given command trait. Dan Bradshaw (who won Sheffield) I know doesn't run a Fray and instead runs Shadowpelt on his Tzaangor Shaman. Obviously that's working out for him so its probably worth tinkering around with. I do think that if you intend to run a Fray Gavespawn is the only one worth running - but again I think the Fray/Command Trait set up is going to be trial and error to find the set up that works best for your play style. I personally like the Ancient Beyond Knowing Shaggoth because it fits well with using fixed 6s for runs and re-roll charges but I've lately switched out and gone back to Gavespawn. 

Cheers mate ill go and digest all this brain food

Archived