Settra turning up as Stormcast in a new Black Library novel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Settra maybe/maybe not reforged is fine. All of the old stories still exist and he still did all of his things. I’m not sure how else he would fit into AoS anyway. Having him be a mortarch seems way worse. I actually was wondering if he and some Tomb King styled guys would show up as a hyshian construct/spirit army but what can you do. We need to make way for new heroes and new stories I think. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I really want a Gotrek adventure where he goes to duel nagash for Felix's soul so that he can bargain (or also duel) Sigmar to get Felix reforged so they can bro it up in the mortal realms like in the good old days. (what's the point of failing your oath over and over again if you can't do it with your bard best friend?)

Felix is already a Stormcast

As Gotrek finds out in Realmslayer.

31 minutes ago, FlatTooth said:

Having Settra maybe/maybe not reforged is fine. All of the old stories still exist and he still did all of his things. I’m not sure how else he would fit into AoS anyway. Having him be a mortarch seems way worse. I actually was wondering if he and some Tomb King styled guys would show up as a hyshian construct/spirit army but what can you do. We need to make way for new heroes and new stories I think. 

The reanimation of the TK undeads happened in a diferent way.  Having undeads out of Nagash control would be pretty cool. 

Making Settra be a whole different character, a generical Stormcast  is really lame.

AoS is a vast world, there's nothing to stop GW re-creating some vestige of the Tomb Kings. Some element that escaped Nagash, that slipped through the cracks as the world ended. Or GW could just use the same old moulds and models and create an entirely new undead kingdom faction. 

It could also be a nefarious scheme by GW!

Manager 1 - hey you know that old undead army we used to have, well how about we bring it back

Manager 2 - eh maybe, it never sold that well at the end and lets face it who remembers those guys anyway

Manager 1 - good points the marketing could cost a fortune... 

Manager 2 - yeah besides we can make one of their leaders a stormcast or something  for the old fans.

Manager 1 - hey wait lets do that and bring them back!

Manager 2 - what?

Manager 1- work with me here. If we make their grand leader, Set whatever, a Stormcast that will get them really annoyed and convinced they are not coming back. Then we release the 2019 survey and they'll all be screaming at us about it. They'll hate us for a few months and then love us when we bring them back in some form

Manager 2 - Ohh I like it. We don't even have to change the schedual and they'll love us for it! 

Conclusion - use this as an excuse to all VOTE FOR TOMB KINGS in the 2019 survey! 

2 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Has anyone considered that Settra was reforged without his aleianating hubris? That is part of the process, you have "impurities" blasted out of you by lightning thus making Settra more amicable to serving Sigmar.

He wouldn't be the same. Part of what makes innovators and leaders like, say, Steve Jobbs so successful is a more than healthy dose of being a complete male-piece-of-anatomy.

Take the fire out of the guy and he loses something vital.

To be fair Settra could be an epic example of a Stormcast breaking if it happened. Nagash undertaking a nasty form of revenge by returning Settra's memories to him (somehow - magic does it); now you've got a Stormcast who bent the knee who DOES NOT and remembers it too! Now there would be some epic grounds

4 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Nope, the author of the book said on his twitter that he intend to expand upon it.

Just checked his feed. I didn't see any such comment. 

I did a search on twitter about this and it turns out the angriest reactions I've seen are right here. 

If the guy who loves Tomb kings so much, he wrote a battletome for them, can enjoy the reference, I think most Tomb kings fans will.

I am definitely in the camp of thinking it is just an easter egg and nothing more.

7 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Now the thing is, Settra is like Marvels Dr Doom. He does not serve. He doesnt bend the knee.

Er

Spoiler

1QVAw6o.jpg

Spoiler

;) 

Seriously though, lovely eloquent post and I couldn't agree with you more (and I'm someone who could never really care for Tomb Kings and always thought of them as a second tier NPC faction)

We know that Settra managed to avoid becoming  Nagash’s slave when he destroyed all the other Death/Underworld/afterlife gods during the Endtimes.  I’ve always thought Stormcast have an Undead side to them. Maybe Sigmar used Settra as inspiration then them. 

I was very much in the camp of letting the Endtimes casualties rest but after the pure awesomeness of Realmslayer I’m happy that it can be done well.

Characters and element of WFB showing up as echos in AoS is something that’s fairly established.  Gav Thorpe talks about it on a Heelanhammer interview with reference to Kislev echos in Warbeast.  This might be nothing more than a nod to He  Who would Not Bend a Knee. 

Don't forget that @JReynolds constantly add some easter eggs in his books. In Spear of Shadows we have at least two [SLIGHT SPOILERS]: Skaven warrior in crimson armour and collection of heads is killed by Owain Volker (Queek Headtaker) and Ahazian Kel finds a shard of Gung stuck in the  big old skeleton in red armour and horned helmet (Krell).

1 hour ago, michu said:

Don't forget that @JReynolds constantly add some easter eggs in his books. In Spear of Shadows we have at least two: Skaven warrior in crimson armour and collection of heads is killed by Owain Volker (Queek Headtaker) and Ahazian Kel finds a shard of Gung stuck in the  big old skeleton in red armour and horned helmet (Krell).

Right. And I am a big fan of all these easter egg style appearances. It doesn't mean characters are returning, it's just cool little tidbits for fans from way back.

4 hours ago, michu said:

Don't forget that @JReynolds constantly add some easter eggs in his books. In Spear of Shadows we have at least two [SLIGHT SPOILERS]: Skaven warrior in crimson armour and collection of heads is killed by Owain Volker (Queek Headtaker) and Ahazian Kel finds a shard of Gung stuck in the  big old skeleton in red armour and horned helmet (Krell).

I am still wondering why Krell didn‘t make it since he as well is a mortarch... I liked Krell 😭🥺

16 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

A side note on the kids stories, I was fine with it until they mentioned they'd be involving necrons and chaos slaves. Neither of those are topics kids should be reading about IMO, maybe using comically evil villains like Skaven would be better, that way you could make a comedic relief villain that not only wouldn't feel out of place, but could even work in more mature literature. (it would be a pleasant surprise to see a model of a character from the kids books, might even be a neat way to get kids to start collecting as horrible as that sounds 😅)

I'm seeing the project as something of a challenge for the writers. 

Speaking honestly, we're often shielded from the horrors and a rather grotesque portrayal of the setting/story. Toning the scenes further down and simply using the IP to deliver a rather lighthearted story or adding more comedic reliefs seems plausible to me. Although now that the books are out maybe someone that actually read them can clarify how successfully they did their work.

The next aspect that bothered me with the initial reaction is that this content is optional and a chance of random exposure seems rather minimal.  Unlike the ads for pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol, tobacco and so on who are everywhere and tend to be rather direct and in my mind far more harmful to society. 

16 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

I find the limitations proposal to be interesting because where is the line drawn? 

I feel that's something out of our hands and for the GW writers to decide. Phil Kelly said few interesting thoughts on the last Stormcast podcast, because of them I'm currently leaning towards the view that AoS world is still very much work in progress and I shouldn't be surprised that in a few years from now certain things will be invalidated or treated as if never happened. 

8 hours ago, michu said:

On that note, having actually finished Hamilcar, it is quite strongly suggested that the primary villain of the novel is actually

Spoiler

Ikit Claw.

I think the "rage" is, in many cases, more the disappointment that comes with further evidence that the Tomb Kings are probably not coming back. Maybe having Settra as a Stormcast - the poster boys of the game that removed their faction - felt like a little bit of salt in the wound.

Personally, I had to remove myself from the Tomb Kings Facebook group, as seeing TK armies immediately made me less motivated with whatever I was working on at that time.

I am kinda doing BCR as a distraction, as trying to second-guess if/when the TK squatting was going to arrive was ruining the AoS experience for me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't on autopilot though.

20 hours ago, xking said:

Yes, they are called Deathrattle.  The new skeleton army.  

There's nothing stopping GW from bringing out a second skeleton army like they did with orruks and duardin, if they did bring TK back as they were they could always go more the mummy and constructs route instead of skeletons. The Katophrane of Shadespire are a likely candidate for a TKesk faction anyways going by the tiny snippets of lore we've been drip fed so far if they want to do that and skeletons would definitely have a place there I think.

As for Settra coming back as a stormcast, to me it opens up some interesting story potential for seeing what happens when a stormcast breaks. I don't think stormcast are necessarily given a choice as to whether they want to be made into one or not so if he got his memories back somehow (like say an encounter with Nagash unlocks them) I imagine he would be pretty pissed because of the whole "I do not serve" thing but also powerless to really defy Sigmar.

4 hours ago, madmac said:

On that note, having actually finished Hamilcar, it is quite strongly suggested that the primary villain of the novel is actually

Hide contents

Ikit Claw.

How does that work? Reincarnation? or just old him?

Spoiler

I'm actually disappointed he didn't become a member of The Council of Thirteen .

10 hours ago, Jator said:

How does that work? Reincarnation? or just old him?

Hide contents

I'm actually disappointed he didn't become a member of The Council of Thirteen .

The main villain of the book is a ancient possibly undead Skaven called Ikrit. (A name he states is not his true one as he has forgotten it, and he has gone by many titles and names, Ikrit just being the shortest one he remembers) He is a Skaven Pariah, who has long left actual Skaven society, presumably because he stole secrets from the Horned Rat. 

Ikrit is stated to be hated by almost all of the gods, because he tends to be able to get into their most guarded places and steal their stuff. His plot in the book is the kidnapping of Hamilcar, namely because he believes if you know how to do it then anything can be replicated and he intends to find out how to create Stormcasts from him. After a seemingly failed experiment that leads to Hamilcar's escape, but his soul being horribly damaged. He is made a Knight - Questor and given the task by Sigmar of capturing Ikrit. Both to get his secrets and to perhaps restore Hamilcar.

Spoiler

The book ends with Hamilcar and Ikrit both beaten and exhausted lying next to each other from their fight. Ikrit having tried to reclaim Hamilcar's Lantern as he believed it to be the final step he needed in completing his work and taking his first step on the domain of the gods. However before Hamilcar can have his allies help him bring Ikrit back to Azyr, Ikrit is killed by a Giant Eagle sorta ally Hamilcar had made. 

Hamilcar was distraught over this because with Ikrit's death there will be no way to take back what he stole from him. However shortly after Ikrit's body and gear break apart into green lightning and are whisked away. Exactly like a Stormcast, causing Hamilcar to realize that Ikrit succeeded in turning himself into one. And by extension that he can still capture him. Ending with Hamilcar and his allies chasing after the lightning realizing that it should be going to his lair in the All Points. 

Archived