Settra turning up as Stormcast in a new Black Library novel

currently as it stands there's no chance of bringing TK's or Brets back.

There's been enough hints dropped in Flesh Eater Courts that this is what's become of our fair Brettoni, even to the point where their endless spells have got Bretonnian shields amongst them :(

As for our lovely dry undead, the men at the mothership have decreed that being an all skeleton army apart from the constructs, there's enough skeletons as it its.

Like everyone, I still want them back.

I'm not a fan of renaissance german humans with big trousers and feathers, and I think more than ever there's a place in AoS for an undead army that isn't glowing nagash green. - especially given the way Settra made it through the end times.

KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT LADS - and carry on :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Envyus said:

The main villain of the book is a ancient possibly undead Skaven called Ikrit. (A name he states is not his true one as he has forgotten it, and he has gone by many titles and names, Ikrit just being the shortest one he remembers) He is a Skaven Pariah, who has long left actual Skaven society, presumably because he stole secrets from the Horned Rat. 

Ikrit is stated to be hated by almost all of the gods, because he tends to be able to get into their most guarded places and steal their stuff.

Hide contents

The book ends with Hamilcar and Ikrit both beaten and exhausted lying next to each other from their fight. Ikrit having tried to reclaim Hamilcar's Lantern as he believed it to be the final step he needed in completing his work and taking his first step on the domain of the gods. However before Hamilcar can have his allies help him bring Ikrit back to Azyr, Ikrit is killed by a Giant Eagle sorta ally Hamilcar had made. 

This...sounds actually cool and I think it fits Ikit Claw character. Thanks for the info, I wasn't planning on getting the novel, but I am now.

Honestly if that truly is Settra that's the best way to bring him back. From what I have read of Nagash in AoS he has full control over the undead, and to assume that Settra would just magically show up as a tomb king feels lacking. I hope not too many people are upset if it is him, but you can get people frothing at the mouth with the mere mention of stormcast. 

As for another hilarious stormcast legend taking Vlad Von Carstein would be funny. Give him some silly azyrification of it too. Vladius Carstornian. 

3 hours ago, Mikester1487 said:

Honestly if that truly is Settra that's the best way to bring him back. From what I have read of Nagash in AoS he has full control over the undead, and to assume that Settra would just magically show up as a tomb king feels lacking. I hope not too many people are upset if it is him, but you can get people frothing at the mouth with the mere mention of stormcast. 

As for another hilarious stormcast legend taking Vlad Von Carstein would be funny. Give him some silly azyrification of it too. Vladius Carstornian. 

This fills me with happiness and rage. I'm a bit of a Vlad fanboy from the days of 7th and 8th edition WFB so i would like to see Vlad return as Vlad. But on the other hand given how Vlad and Karl where working together in the end times it wouldn't surprise me to see him come back as a stormcast.  Sigmar probably retained at least some of Karl's memories from when he possessed him so it would make sense for him to pick out the souls of a bunch of badasses who fought beside him in the world that was and make the celestants or some other overblown stormcast title. Makes more sense for Vlad to be reforged than Settra anyways.

Settra coming back as a Stormcast is a little disappointing to me. Not because it's disrespectful or anything like that, but because it seemed like his story arc had completed in the End Times. He was the immovable wall to Nagash's unstoppable force, and in the end the unstoppable force won.

With that said, he could be an interesting character for exploring what it means to be a Stormcast with regards to obedience to Sigmar. Perhaps he doesn't worship Sigmar, nor even "bends the knee", he might just see Sigmar as an equal and himself as an ally to the God. After all, in life he thought he was a God iirc.

28 minutes ago, DarkWingDuck said:

Settra coming back as a Stormcast is a little disappointing to me. Not because it's disrespectful or anything like that, but because it seemed like his story arc had completed in the End Times. He was the immovable wall to Nagash's unstoppable force, and in the end the unstoppable force won.

🤨

The first End Times book literally ended in a plot hanger about Settra that was never resolved or even talked about in the remaining four volumes, and only got sort of tied up in the last Black Library tie-in novel. 🤷‍♂️

I'm extraordinarily excited about this.

I mean, the first and last and forever emperor of a legendary empire from the World-That-Was becomes a general of Azyrite barbarian may be quite disappointing, but it is also hilarious to see the Emperor still fighting against the pitiful mad necromancer who is unworthy of the godhood after aeons. The reintroduction of Settra certainly has potential so long as more stories are built around him. With marching towards Glynmforge which was the main battlefield of Soul War, I do believe there will be more stories about Settrus. And it makes more sense that Settra lost some pieces of memory through reforging than became a mindless poor servant of that old stupid dude. I am now looking forward to the scenery when the Settrus faces Nagash and Nagash revealed the old memory to Settrus, offering him the chance to be freed from Sigmar and becoming one of Mortarchs. But Settrus will just think for seconds and smash his hammer or Khopesh-like blade on Nagash's awful giant skull and roar "I do not serve'.

Just like said above I don't think this is just a nod for if you have read recently released stories,  talented BL writers are constantly bringing old characters back like Gotrek, Gelt, Thyrus, Mordrek, Ikit and Thanquol in the new battletome. Gelt even got a piece of THE OLD WORLD which may grant him the ancient memory when he was GELT.

However, I don't believe GW will bring TK back or models about Settrus. BL and Citadel are pretty separated, heros like Gardus never get their own models but some none-sense Hammer of Sigmar whoever. But once they do, I will buy Settrus as long as it is not just generic sigmarine lord. 

When TK  was squatted, with their pretty new plastic models included, I already thought there is little chance for them to come back, not to mention that all undead are now ruled by a mental dissociated tyrant. Settra comes back as a special stormcast is the best way to bring the legacy of TK back I can think of.

May the dead Ptra  bless his chosen with  glorious future in the NEW WORLD.

Hm, is this entire topic set up on the name or on the part"he has a special loathing of the undying king".

I never was a Tombking player, but I'm aktually wondering if it is just a name, and names are not unique for one person most of the time.

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Hm, is this entire topic set up on the name or on the part"he has a special loathing of the undying king".

I never was a Tombking player, but I'm aktually wondering if it is just a name, and names are not unique for one person most of the time.

There are several points:

The imperishable chamber uses 'your will be done' as answer to the order, which likely refers to TK's famous 'my will be done'

The imperishable is also the title for Settra

The temperament how Hamilcar describes about him

The AOH is famous for its stormcast are reforged from ancient souls, including soul from WTW

and yeah the 'a' to 'us' of the name and special loathing thing

20 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'm extraordinarily excited about this.

I mean, the first and last and forever emperor of a legendary empire from the World-That-Was becomes a general of Azyrite barbarian may be quite disappointing, but it is also hilarious to see the Emperor still fighting against the pitiful mad necromancer who is unworthy of the godhood after aeons. The reintroduction of Settra certainly has potential so long as more stories are built around him. With marching towards Glynmforge which was the main battlefield of Soul War, I do believe there will be more stories about Settrus. And it makes more sense that Settra lost some pieces of memory through reforging than became a mindless poor servant of that old stupid dude. I am now looking forward to the scenery when the Settrus faces Nagash and Nagash revealed the old memory to Settrus, offering him the chance to be freed from Sigmar and becoming one of Mortarchs. But Settrus will just think for seconds and smash his hammer or Khopesh-like blade on Nagash's awful giant skull and roar "I do not serve'.

Just like said above I don't think this is just a nod for if you have read recently released stories,  talented BL writers are constantly bringing old characters back like Gotrek, Gelt, Thyrus, Mordrek, Ikit and Thanquol in the new battletome. Gelt even got a piece of THE OLD WORLD which may grant him the ancient memory when he was GELT.

However, I don't believe GW will bring TK back or models about Settrus. BL and Citadel are pretty separated, heros like Gardus never get their own models but some none-sense Hammer of Sigmar whoever. But once they do, I will buy Settrus as long as it is not just generic sigmarine lord. 

When TK  was squatted, with their pretty new plastic models included, I already thought there is little chance for them to come back, not to mention that all undead are now ruled by a mental dissociated tyrant. Settra comes back as a special stormcast is the best way to bring the legacy of TK back I can think of.

May the dead Ptra  bless his chosen with  glorious future in the NEW WORLD.

I admit that if Black Library decided to launch a book (or a series of books) about Settrus that depicts him as the reincarnation of Settra and a ultra badass stormcast who doesn't necessarily remembers his former life but still retains his old personality, that would definitely grab my attention. Settra/Settrus could give a lesson even to the Knight Excelsiors about "never making compromises".

Edit: I love Settra from Khemri in the World-that-was. He was a real badass and proud beyond measure (Nagash even called him "proudest of kings" during the End Times).
However, IF Settra is to be brought back in the Mortal Realms of AoS, then I think we need to let go of a bit of fanboyism and accept the character to become a little more malleable because otherwise there's no way he can fit in the new universe. The old Settra cannot be brought in the Death Alliance, because he hates Nagash with passion. He cannot go into the Chaos alliance because he stands against the chaos gods and knows their promises are just lies. He wouldn't fit into the Destruction alliance because Gorkamorka and Settra aren't exactly compatible. But he would fit in the Order alliance just right, if it were not for the "Settra does not serve, he rules!" part. Like I said, if we want Settra back in the game, we need him to be a little less rigid. So him being reincarnated as a Stormcast is quite a good explanation for that. If Settrus didn't remember his former life as Settra of Khemri but still retained most of his personality, it would allow the Black Library writers and readers to explore this familiar character in a new light. Which would be really interesting methinks.

I've read the book and it comes across as forced and a little hokey. Not because I have any particular fondness for Mr. No-kneel but because it just felt clunky. 

Balthasar Gelt felt natural - the character fit and it was never too contrived that hed become one (his mask was a Mask Eternal, after all). 

If it was better written I'd have a different opinion. Perhaps if there was no 'Settrus', but it was kept as the Imperishables etc.

On 2/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, JPjr said:

Honestly I find the ‘outrage’, if genuine, depressing, embarrassing and hilarious in equal measure.

I just wish people would put as much effort into being angry about ****** that actually matters than this constant dull obsession many people into this game (and indeed across nearly all facets of, for want of a better term, ‘nerd culture’) of being helpless victims constantly being ‘disrepected’, ‘slapped in the face’ or other hyperbolic statements of anguish.

Right now as I see it it’s just a couple of lines in a book to add in some colour to the world at large and if anything probably just meant as a nice Easter egg for those who get the reference, not realising it would be taken as a mortal insult.

Who knows maybe down the line it could lead to a model or two (there’s been at least 1 or 2 times I’ve seen throw away lines in BL books foreshadow, intentionally or not, new models). And there is that mysterious figure in the Warcry art that could lean in to this but who knows so maybe they will bring a range out that reflects that and it will no doubt be greeted with more wailing and gnashing.

I see more people outraged at the 'complainer boogeyman' than anything else. People are allowed to dislike things. 

I think it's worth remembering that Settra isn't some demi-god with powers beyond comprehension. He's a King, and a damn good tactician. That's why I always loved him in the lore - the picture of this defiant king standing against the risen god of Nagash with only his chariot and a sword. That's what we love about Settra, to imagine him somehow withstanding the end of the world through "lore armor" denies what made him awesome.

If he ends up as a Stormcast it would be from his hatred of Chaos and Death, both traits that Sigmar admires. Him ending up as a Stormcast makes a ton of sense.

3 hours ago, Barbossal said:

I think it's worth remembering that Settra isn't some demi-god with powers beyond comprehension. He's a King, and a damn good tactician. That's why I always loved him in the lore - the picture of this defiant king standing against the risen god of Nagash with only his chariot and a sword. That's what we love about Settra, to imagine him somehow withstanding the end of the world through "lore armor" denies what made him awesome.

If he ends up as a Stormcast it would be from his hatred of Chaos and Death, both traits that Sigmar admires. Him ending up as a Stormcast makes a ton of sense.

indeed this :) - the dark god brought him back, but it wasn't ever said that they held thrall over him.  His legions were utterly annihilated by nagash, so the lure of commanding an army the size he could have only dreamed of in order to exact his revenge.

If this is the best we're going to get, I'd rather have it this way than he and the tomb kings remain a distant memory, and especially if he infuses his chamber with some of that old flavour, yes they'll probably look like khopesh sword or halberd  wielding  Rubric marines but hey, I'll take anything going.

Stormcast Settrus chariots pulled by dracolibobs anyone?

On 3/5/2019 at 3:20 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

Stormcast Settrus chariots pulled by dracolibobs anyone?

If someone made a chariot pulled by winged Dracoths or a Turalon or something (like a honestly the Sphynx model with wings from the Necrosphynx kit) be happy to consider that a Stardrake Celestant every day of the week.

And while the Setta part of that book was really short, I did really like every time they had the Imperishables around, there was a whole scene of the way one puts spice in his wine that really made me think someone can really take that 'Egyptian Style' and make something incredible.

A buddy of mine just made his Deepkin themed storm-cast dragon riding on a 'Dragon Turtle', so I'm loving just the idea of seeing a TK fan making an army like that come to life!

Archived