2000 pt Death list

ronin_cse

Hi all! Well here's my first shot at a 2000 pt Death list. Please note I'm not all that experienced with Death on the table so I don't really know how well this will work on the table. That being said please feel free to tear it apart. The only thing I'm really attached to is using a Mortarch as I have the get started skeleton horde box and would like to use it (not assembled yet though so any Mortarch is fine). I really like the Morghasts and Mourngul but I haven't bought either yet so they aren't required.

So let me know what I should change! Thanks!

HEROES
Neferata Mortarch Of Blood (440)
Necromancer (120)
- Nightmare
Vampire Lord (140)
- Nightmare

UNITS
Skeleton Warriors x 30 (240)
- Ancient Spear & Crypt or Tomb Shield
Zombies x 20 (120)
Zombies x 20 (120)
Morghast Archai x 2 (240)

MONSTERS
Mourngul (400)

Total Points: 1820, 180 left over for summoning based on scenario

1 hour ago, NoobhammerN8 said:

Yeah, with the command ability neferata has and the Mournghoul's further minus one or two to hit, they will make a very silly combo. You probably don't need the rest of the army. Lol.

Give the Vamp Lord or Necromancer the cursed book and you can get a -3/-4 to hit.  Great way to lose friends!!

Definitely looks like it can be tanky, but i think against gunlines and such. you have a terrible time. You don't ahve any units that can really smash though a gun line. Neferata isn't the toughest of the monsters, and the morgoul isn't enough. 

THe summoning points will be important for you to get objectives. make sure you have a few banshees, carin wraiths, and zombies for summoning. 

17 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Definitely looks like it can be tanky, but i think against gunlines and such. you have a terrible time. You don't ahve any units that can really smash though a gun line. Neferata isn't the toughest of the monsters, and the morgoul isn't enough. 

THe summoning points will be important for you to get objectives. make sure you have a few banshees, carin wraiths, and zombies for summoning. 

What are some good units to smash through gunlines?

6 minutes ago, NoobhammerN8 said:

Grave guard, but they're really slow, so maybe try to summon them. Crypt flayers are like flying retributors, but they can be weak without the proper support. The morghast are pretty good for tearing things up too.

Well grave guard would still be 9" away if I summoned them, I kind of thought they would get ripped apart by the gunline I was trying to counter, especially since they would only be a unit of 10 models.

The morghasts are kind of in there for that reason, fast and pretty strong...maybe I should bump the unit up to 4 or take another unit of them? I hesitate to try and summon them with their high casting value (10). I was thinking black knights, blood knights, or hexwraiths as well. Leaning more towards the black knights/hexwraiths as I can summon those.

I could drop one of the zombie units down to 10 to free up some points, I plan on merging the zombie units anyways.

My all star gun line solution is the mortis engine. They can't afford to ignore a huge, multiwound behemoth screaming at them at speed 14. Reach the target, drop a mortal wound bomb and take all the hits... Sure, he'll die, but it buys you a turn for 180 points

Just now, DeGriggs said:

My all star gun line solution is the mortis engine. They can't afford to ignore a huge, multiwound behemoth screaming at them at speed 14. Reach the target, drop a mortal wound bomb and take all the hits... Sure, he'll die, but it buys you a turn for 180 points

Why a mortis engine vs a coven throne?

In this specific instance: 

-Its cheaper for essentially a meat shield

-that reliquary bomb is perfect for hurting several gunline units (blocks of single wound dudes)

-remember that his bomb extents in all direction, so you could charge straight up, tag some units and even a leader in the back.

-has a sweetgun

Problem with the mortis engine is it only goes off in the hero phase for all of it's attacks. Meaning it's kinda slow. YOu have to move in range, and then wait till your next turn to fire any of it's attacks off. Usually your opponent will get a whole turn to react to it. 

Mortis engine works best in a horde army agasinst a melee army. your horde can surround your army, and when the enemy charges in on you, your mortis engine goes off hitting multiple units from its safety within the horde bubble wrap.

summoning some grave guard and moving up morghast is pretty much the same thing. Both will have a ackward moment where the enemy can shoot at them before they move in for the charge. 

summoned morghast harbingers in this exact situation work well. they can summon in and doing a flying 3d6 charge right out of being summoned.  Since they fly they can go right over the heads of enemy gunline defenses and right into the guns themselve (some times). 

Our big nasties are big enough and fast enough to deal with this well. They can move from out of gun range to into charge range quite well. They all fly so they do work. Terroghiest (with or without rider), Zombie Dragon (with or without rider), and coven throne can all do this well enough to save time for your army to get in and do some work. 

8 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Problem with the mortis engine is it only goes off in the hero phase for all of it's attacks. Meaning it's kinda slow. YOu have to move in range, and then wait till your next turn to fire any of it's attacks off. Usually your opponent will get a whole turn to react to it. 

Mortis engine works best in a horde army agasinst a melee army. your horde can surround your army, and when the enemy charges in on you, your mortis engine goes off hitting multiple units from its safety within the horde bubble wrap.

summoning some grave guard and moving up morghast is pretty much the same thing. Both will have a ackward moment where the enemy can shoot at them before they move in for the charge. 

summoned morghast harbingers in this exact situation work well. they can summon in and doing a flying 3d6 charge right out of being summoned.  Since they fly they can go right over the heads of enemy gunline defenses and right into the guns themselve (some times). 

Our big nasties are big enough and fast enough to deal with this well. They can move from out of gun range to into charge range quite well. They all fly so they do work. Terroghiest (with or without rider), Zombie Dragon (with or without rider), and coven throne can all do this well enough to save time for your army to get in and do some work. 

This not been my experience with the mortis engine but on everything else I totally agree ;)

Yeah, I used a zombie dragon to pin and eventually eat 30 'Ardboyz in my last game, they can get up there and do work. Plus if you have the version with the chalice and maybe the ring of resurrection you can afford to soak up the shooting till the army gets there.

9 minutes ago, DeGriggs said:

This not been my experience with the mortis engine but on everything else I totally agree ;)

I mean i didn't say it's bad. i'm just saying if your going to move it within 9" of a gunline it's gonna get shot up, but if you don't get in 9" you can't use it the turn after. I use this thing all the time in my list. 

13 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

I mean i didn't say it's bad. i'm just saying if your going to move it within 9" of a gunline it's gonna get shot up, but if you don't get in 9" you can't use it the turn after. I use this thing all the time in my list. 

Totally. Though I've now played 3 games vs a free people gunline and this guy either survives to do some work, or at least distracts them so my key infantry pieces can move up untouched

Aye Harbringers and monsters. Also, combine anything fast with a Lord on Abyssal Terror. I prefer Blood Knights. This is my favorite way to deal with something that needs to die first turn.

Neferata is the way to go for mortarchs. Her -1 includes shooting so she can move up and hurt a gunline. With Mystic + her unique spell she is extremely hard to kill and she hits as hard as any other monster.  I magnetized to be able to use any of the three, though I have never needed to use anything but Neferata.

Theres lots of fun in Death.

Ok so would I be better off freeing up some points and putting the vampire lord on a zombie dragon instead? This would probably eat up most of my summoning points though.

Should I maybe drop the Mourngul? It's synergy with Nefereta seems too good though.

I could also drop the Skeleton Warriors and just take 3 10 model units of zombies to fill out the battleline requirement.

Archived