How to paint dead meat/flesh

Lior'Lec

I’m painting up a set of Greenskin Orruk Boys and the shield originally meant for the boss has a hand nailed onto it. Anyone have some advice on colors and/or techniques to make the cut end look like an old chunk of meat turning bad?

I don’t know if the skin was painted according to any comman paint schemes because it was mostly just me playing around to see what I liked. The skin is base coated with Zandri Dust, shaded with Athonian Camoshade, and drybrushed with Reaper Master Series tanned highlights. It wasn’t exactly what I’d originally envisioned but came out well enough for my taste. I may do another layer of camoshade to see if it helps bring the dead/rotting look back.

image.jpg

I don’t know if this will have any relevance to my question but I’m considering coating these miniatures with Army Painter Quickshade Strong Tone when I’m done with them to help bring out a dirty, unwashed look and seal/protect them at the same time. I’ll be brushing it on rather than dipping them and will follow that with a spray on Matte Varnish a few days later (Army Painter brand again).

Really depends on the time of death.... the skin color of corpses/dead people changes from what we know to  a very pale, kinda yellow-ish tone before it changes to an almost grey color (i think this is because of our bodily fluids leaving us when we die (yes, not only do people soil themselves when ALL muscles relax, they also leave behind a brown stain n the shape of their whole body) and all the blood flowing towards the ground due to gravity, that's where the corpse will be pretty red in color, while the rest is a grey, waxy mess) with the exposed parts turning black pretty soon. A bit later the whole body turns greenish in color, which you've captured very well - I think it's around this time where the body bloats/really falls apart and insects etc. start to feed on the remains. While there are also specks of color on the body, like blues, greens and reds when it decomposes further, as far as I know the corpse will become quite dark in overall color, like dark grey to a dark brown (I think at that time most fluids are gone).

All of this is a really ugly sight, thankfully only skeletons remain! I'm sure there are lots of images for that on google but be warned, death is not a pretty thing to behold and it's kinda disturbing how quickly a human rots away. Hope this helps!

I’m retired military. I’ve done  both combat deployments and recovery operations following some pretty major natural disasters so I’m aware of what it looks (and smells) like; I just don’t know how to paint it.  Which paints and techniques would work to capture it. I’ll probably just play around with various glazes of greys, greens, and browns until I find something that looks close to the real thing.  

Also bodies start bloating after just a couple of days (3 or 4) and happens before they start turning black, but a severed appendage wouldn’t bloat (the bloating is a product of trapped gasses).

Archived