Fimir List 2000pts

Shearl

Hey everyone,

I very rarely play, but have been thinking about putting together a working list. This is basically composed of the models I already own. 

I could definitely use some advice on artifacts and traits for my heroes and other ways to boost my list, as it lacks synergy quite a bit and the noble's command ability is kinda unimpressive.

I'm also getting three additional fimir that I intend to convert into another type of unit, any recommendations for other destruction units which might come in handy.

Thanks!

Allegiance: Destruction

Fimirach Noble (140) - General

Fimirach Noble (140)  

6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

6 x Fimir Warriors (280)

3 x Fimir Warriors (140) 

Basilisk (160)

Magma Dragon (540)

TOTAL: 1960/2000 

I have a few suggestions, there’s a lot to be improved but I can tell you a few. First of all, as you probably already know. You will struggle against most opponents. Them having updated rules, while you don’t. You also don’t play battalions, so you will get outdropped most of the time, which means you will be susceptible to alpha strikes. And with the horde meta, you will probably struggle, since fimir are mostly good vs armoured units.

besides that, don’t let it get you down, they are amazing and fight for it.

Let’s get down to it. You ask for Trait and Artefact suggestions. Let’s look at the fimirach noble. Average speed, Beefy amount of wounds. 2 weapons, 1 rending hard with lots of attacks another a hard hitting one. Good save, -1 to hit for missile weps targeting him and a 5+ save vs mortals, also heals a wound per turn. He is obviously a very strong and sustainable hero. I would always go with Wild Fury trait and pick his tail, adding 1 or 2 attacks to the tail attack. Than for artefacts you have multiple options. You can go with realm Aqshy and go for Thermalrider Cloak, boosting his only weakness, which is movement, and making him move 9” with fly. Not being able to be bogged down by anything and being relatively fast can be a good thing. Another option would be picking an artefact that adds damage to your maul. Going from 1 to 2 damage will be HUGE on a 2” 5A 3+ 3+ -2 profile. Adding the extra tail attacks to it, means that he will wipe the floor with almost anyone. Another approach is going for full defense on him with the artefact. Going with Ghur, you can take the Gryph-Feather Charm, boosting his movement by 1” so a total of 6” and also adding a -1 to hit modifier for your opponent in melee and ranged. Yes, this means keeping him close to your fimirs, means he will sport a -3 to hit modifier for missile weps targetting him and -1 in melee.

As for the rest, you are missing out on magic. This edition is a huge win for lists using magic and endless spells. While your fimir overall have a great defense against mortals, it’s nice to at least have 1 unbind and some magical support. I suggest dropping the unit of 3 fimir warriors and add in a Fungoid Cave-Shaman. With the lack of battalions, you could definitely use his 50% chance to get an extra command point every turn, able to use to either run a unit for 6”, re-roll a charge within 12” instead of wholly within or for inspiring presence.  Also he will add an unbind attempt for you, he will also offer his personal spell, which can pottentially be devastating if you protect him well. But most importantly, by also adding chronomantic cogs endless spell you can take the most out of your fimirach nobles command ability, by adding 2” movement to your army, you will now move 7” at least army wide and by also adding 2” to your charges it will synergize with your nobles re-roll charge command, now your fimir will be able to move 7” and do a charge with +2” and re-rollable charge rolls. That’s an 19” threat bubble, with a lot more probability because of the re-rolls and +2” charge.

Little addition here: Not to mention with the occasional destruction move popping off, your movement and charges can be a huge threat in this army.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for taking the time to leave such a detailed response!

I was wondering if it might be worth converting the magma dragon somewhat so he could also potentially stand in for Gordrakk or the standard magma dragon. Gordrakk’s ability to buff any destruction units might be nice for my fimir’s meager access to buffs.

Also a quick thought, is there any advantage to running units of 6 instead of 3? I would imagine two units of three would potentially benefit from their healing ability more than a single unit of six. Is there an obvious downside to this?

8 hours ago, Shearl said:

Gordrakk’s ability to buff any destruction units might be nice for my fimir’s meager access to buffs.

Sadly Gordrakk’s ability only activates on a single unit. Is this unit in a battalion however... than the entire battalion benefits. Since Fimir don’t have battalions... well let’s just say let’s talk about this again once forgeworld finally decides to release that revealed Fimir sorcerer and Matriarch from years ago and get a bunch of extra releases and a rule update with battalions. 😄

8 hours ago, Shearl said:

is there any advantage to running units of 6 instead of 3?

There is and there isn’t. You are right about the healing potential. Running 2 x 3 means you get to heal 2 wounds a turn instead of 1. Now running MSU units also means you can spread your units out better. Hold more objectives etc. The best way to do this is to add some grots or something, you play destruction anyways. Now i understand if you want to stay with just the fimir, i’m just saying, there’s better options out there for the purposes of objective holding. 

Now what are the benefits from playing in 6+ model units? Well first of all you reduce your amount of drops in your list. Second, you have less activations in the combat phase, meaning you can cripple the opponent much faster and on top of that you get the most out of your 2” range on your mauls. Ofc your tails have a 1” profile, but they are a small extra. Another thing is command abilities. Using a CP to make a unit run 6” or make a unit re-roll charges or make a unit get inspiring presence, only affects 1 unit. Therefore having a bigger unit, means that more models benefit from said abilities. In all honesty it’s up to you. You could also split one unit up and run:

3 x fimir 

3x fimir

6x fimir

6x fimir

for some bigger spread and an extra heal. Ofc the heal of 1 wound won’t be a great super strategist move, but i mean every little crumble could help. In the end it’s preferences.

• 1 month later...

I don’t come here as often as I should but I heard the Fimir alarm! 

This is the ‘Fimir’ list that I’ll be running at Heat two of the AoS GT. 

Everything that isn’t ‘real’ Fimir is converted to look like a Fimir. 

5C39344B-0130-493D-ACCB-184FC17DB9BE.jpeg.0d1785d0a04ab8e5cc777c9a662fa9e3.jpeg

Archived