What to build

Ailexam

Hey,

First of all, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, please let me know and  I'll move the thread! So I am completely new to AoS but I got hard into it (now I stand with a Soul wars, Storm Strike, Blood and Thunder and the brand new Carrion Empire boxes). I am now wondering... What should I build from the Stormfiend (which weapons) and Crypt Flayers box (since there seems to be plenty of options to build and I am still sorting out all the rules from allegiances etc) and the Warp-Lightning cannon box?

Thanks!

Out of interest what army are you building? It sounds like you've got a little bit of everything there so what's your long term plan? Are you aiming to have lots of smaller armies or are you still testing the waters a bit? Most gamers tend to focus on one or two armies at a time and build them up to a decent size (most consider that to be at least around 2K points for average games). That way the money gets focused on one or two armies and they grow all the faster for it. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Out of interest what army are you building? It sounds like you've got a little bit of everything there so what's your long term plan? Are you aiming to have lots of smaller armies or are you still testing the waters a bit? Most gamers tend to focus on one or two armies at a time and build them up to a decent size (most consider that to be at least around 2K points for average games). That way the money gets focused on one or two armies and they grow all the faster for it. 

Actually, just testing the waters, but since I love the aspect of most armies I wouldn't discard building more than 1 army. Right now I am casually playing with my girlfriend since I am still learning. And I thought at worst case scenario I could build a Great Allegiance army mixing Nighthaunt and FEC or Khorne and Skavens or something like that. 

I know how you feel in terms of liking the asthetics of a lot of GW armies. What I find sometimes helps in making a choice, at least from the visual side of things, is to head to the GW webstore.

Pick out one army you like and go through all the pages, opening up a new tab for every model in their range. 
Then slowly go through the open tabs and close any where you find you don't "really really" like the model. 

The idea here is to get an idea of what you're left with. You might find that you really like the concept of an army, but you don't really like all that many models within it. Or you might loath or dislike the basic troops and only like one or two hero units. Or perhaps you really love the troops etc... Once you've done this for a few armies you might have a clearer idea of what you are really liking within the ranges. It might just help you focus on an army if you find there's one that really sparks your interest. 

Also remember the Grand Alliances have their limits compared to "pure" armies and that the way AoS is built weights it somewhat toward pure armies with or without allies as being generally superior over motley "grand alliance" armies. Which is overall a good thing because it favours building factions and armies with background to them and a visual unity; rather than just cherry picking the best from each army in a Grand Alliance. 

For the stormfiends I would suggest looking at the ranges of the various weapons and building a team that's either focused on ranged or close combat as best as can be done. For example I'd consider a ranged unit to be:

Ratling Cannons, Windlaunchers and Shock Gauntlets. Both the ranged weapons are the longest reaching of those they can take, whilst the Shock Gauntlets work at their best if the unit charges or is charged (whilst the alternate weapon for shock gauntlets is doomflayers gauntlets which get a +1 to hit when they are charged - so they want to be in a close combat focused team).

Meanwhile a nice close combat team could be:

Warpfire Projectors, Grinderfists and Doomflayers. The two close combat weapons want to be in close combat, whilst one gets a bonus for making a charge. Meanwhile the way Warpfire Projectors work they also want to be right up close so that the most number of the enemy can be within the 8inch range to take damage - more models in range means more dice to roll and more potential wounds to be caused. 

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

I know how you feel in terms of liking the asthetics of a lot of GW armies. What I find sometimes helps in making a choice, at least from the visual side of things, is to head to the GW webstore.

Pick out one army you like and go through all the pages, opening up a new tab for every model in their range. 
Then slowly go through the open tabs and close any where you find you don't "really really" like the model. 

The idea here is to get an idea of what you're left with. You might find that you really like the concept of an army, but you don't really like all that many models within it. Or you might loath or dislike the basic troops and only like one or two hero units. Or perhaps you really love the troops etc... Once you've done this for a few armies you might have a clearer idea of what you are really liking within the ranges. It might just help you focus on an army if you find there's one that really sparks your interest. 

Also remember the Grand Alliances have their limits compared to "pure" armies and that the way AoS is built weights it somewhat toward pure armies with or without allies as being generally superior over motley "grand alliance" armies. Which is overall a good thing because it favours building factions and armies with background to them and a visual unity; rather than just cherry picking the best from each army in a Grand Alliance.

I understand that Great Alliance bonuses are not as good as pure armies, but does it really make such a great difference?

Anyway, I did what you said before getting into the game (looking for the aesthetics of most units and reading about the general mechanich of each faction etc) yet I found myself even more unable to decide! I really must be dumb hahaha. When I bought Soul wars I decided I would stick to nighthaunt, then saw Skavens and Gloomspite Gitz (which I would have definitely gone for if they had a SC box or something similar) and welp, I found myself with 5 different armies and no choice so far.

And about stormfiends, I was told warpfire and shock gauntlets were really better than the counterparts for each option. Is that true?

Btw, loving the two new models of Carrion Empire, they look sick, pretty happy about how my Warlock Bombardier turned out!

"better" can be a variable term so its always good to confirm with people what they mean by it. Often they might be talking about the raw damage output potential; others might be thinking of a specific situation or use for the models. It can really vary quite a lot and can vary what is better or worse in any given situation. Also remember the Tome is only a day old and the stats only about a week known (they went up on the website earlier); so some of the better and worse can be a little hazy right now.

The Grand Alliance abilities were mostly made way back in the early days, so the factions have grown more powerful in general because they've got more up to date Battletomes and releases. By and large GW has weighted AoS so that "soup" or united Grand alliance armies are not benefitting from as many boons as pure armies. This generally is a good thing because Grand Alliance armies - built right - can cover one armies weakness with anothers strength or even unit a lot of "broken" units together. So having it weighted in single army favour tends to work in the advantage for most.

That said if you're building a lot of armies all at once you might well find Grand Alliance a good base for larger games at least as you are getting used to the game.

I'd still encourage you to try and settle on one army or two in time; of course its totally your own free choice in the matter and you can do as you like :) Long as you can keep up with the building of new stuff and painting and can afford it go for whatever you wish :)

29 minutes ago, Overread said:

"better" can be a variable term so its always good to confirm with people what they mean by it. Often they might be talking about the raw damage output potential; others might be thinking of a specific situation or use for the models. It can really vary quite a lot and can vary what is better or worse in any given situation. Also remember the Tome is only a day old and the stats only about a week known (they went up on the website earlier); so some of the better and worse can be a little hazy right now.

The Grand Alliance abilities were mostly made way back in the early days, so the factions have grown more powerful in general because they've got more up to date Battletomes and releases. By and large GW has weighted AoS so that "soup" or united Grand alliance armies are not benefitting from as many boons as pure armies. This generally is a good thing because Grand Alliance armies - built right - can cover one armies weakness with anothers strength or even unit a lot of "broken" units together. So having it weighted in single army favour tends to work in the advantage for most.

That said if you're building a lot of armies all at once you might well find Grand Alliance a good base for larger games at least as you are getting used to the game.

I'd still encourage you to try and settle on one army or two in time; of course its totally your own free choice in the matter and you can do as you like :) Long as you can keep up with the building of new stuff and painting and can afford it go for whatever you wish :)

I was thinking of trying out a few (the ones I have) and then finally go for just one of them and sell the ones I don't like. I still will have to build 2 armies since I play mostly with my gf, but I think I already have around 1k points for Nighthaunt and Stormcast, so that should do the trick for now, and we can just play skirmish with the others or play with GA rules.

Looking at the stormfiends weapons they might have referred to solely damage output and the units given in the box mostly have ranged weapons, so I may go for the melee weapons when possible! 

Now the FEC choices look a bit harder since they are completely different units and there are like 5 ways to build them... Choices choices!

When it comes to your Stormfiends and their weapons, MAGNETISE MAGNETISE MAGNETISE, so you don't fall afoul of GW changing the rules and invalidating your models. That way, you can take whatever you want!

(But: Doomflayer vs armour, Shock Gauntlets vs hordes; Ratling Guns in a shooty unit, Grinderfists in a combat unit or if you want them to "deepstrike"; and Warpfire, almost always Warpfire, unless you are certain you are going to be able to buff the unit so their Windlaunchers stand a chance of actually hitting and wounding.)

9 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

When it comes to your Stormfiends and their weapons, MAGNETISE MAGNETISE MAGNETISE, so you don't fall afoul of GW changing the rules and invalidating your models. That way, you can take whatever you want!

(But: Doomflayer vs armour, Shock Gauntlets vs hordes; Ratling Guns in a shooty unit, Grinderfists in a combat unit or if you want them to "deepstrike"; and Warpfire, almost always Warpfire, unless you are certain you are going to be able to buff the unit so their Windlaunchers stand a chance of actually hitting and wounding.)

I havent magnetize anything so far, any tips? I want to magnetize the warp ligthning cannon too but I am afraid I might ****** it up.

Now stormfiends weapon are somewhat small... Any guide to magnetise or things to avoid?

4 minutes ago, Ailexam said:

I havent magnetize anything so far, any tips? I want to magnetize the warp ligthning cannon too but I am afraid I might ****** it up.

Now stormfiends weapon are somewhat small... Any guide to magnetise or things to avoid?

I'm still learning to do it myself, and have only done it with Boneripper, so take anything I say with a massive truckload of salt, and do lots of googling to see what you can turn up, buuuuut I superglue a lump of greenstuff into both sides of the join (so, for example, with Stormfiends, where the gauntlet and the arm connect, typically at the elbow) and then superglue a magnet into the greenstuff lumps, making sure that a) the magnets are correctly aligned so they attract, not repel and b) that the magnet-greenstuff piles don't stick out too far and prevent a good join. 

I'm sure there are better ways for doing it, and it's much easier when you have a solid bit of plastic to anchor the magnet in instead of empty space (hence the greenstuff), but that's what I've managed so far.

I was going to magnetize my Stormfiends and wish GW had made them a bit more friendly for it. However they've got a lot of tubes and connection points and little attachments specific to each weapon. It means that whilst the actual weapon itself is easy to magnetize, the parts around it are not. I think it means cutting off some of the tubes/pipes (since fitting a magnet to the end of them would be a challenge) and for things like the Shock or doomflayer you'd have to accept one set of upgrades over the other (or mix and match them a bit). 

19 minutes ago, Overread said:

I was going to magnetize my Stormfiends and wish GW had made them a bit more friendly for it. However they've got a lot of tubes and connection points and little attachments specific to each weapon. It means that whilst the actual weapon itself is easy to magnetize, the parts around it are not. I think it means cutting off some of the tubes/pipes (since fitting a magnet to the end of them would be a challenge) and for things like the Shock or doomflayer you'd have to accept one set of upgrades over the other (or mix and match them a bit). 

Uhmmm I think I might as well pass this time and let the magnetising for when I am more skilled perhaps, these models are given me a headache, I'll just glue it after I paint the doomwheel or look for a video so I can see clearly what to do

10 hours ago, Ailexam said:

Uhmmm I think I might as well pass this time and let the magnetising for when I am more skilled perhaps, these models are given me a headache, I'll just glue it after I paint the doomwheel or look for a video so I can see clearly what to do

You can get your magnetising practice with horror/flayer box, there is a lot of info about that particular kit in this topic:

2 hours ago, XReN said:

You can get your magnetising practice with horror/flayer box, there is a lot of info about that particular kit in this topic:

I found this about Crypt dudes, pretty cool if you ask me, might give it a try! Post it on the other place if you find it could be useful for somebody!

https://m.imgur.com/r/minipainting/bzBiR

20 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Bah!

Commit! Commit! Commit!

Any need to make changes is just a great justification for getting more models, building more models, painting more models and seeing your display cases overflow!

17 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Bah!

Commit! Commit! Commit!

Any need to make changes is just a great justification for getting more models, building more models, painting more models and seeing your display cases overflow!

I would love to just get more, but my son needs food sometimes.

19 hours ago, Ailexam said:

When I magnitize I get a drill bit of the right size and just use my hands to drill a hole in both parts to slide the magnets in. I made a reference magnet that I painted on one side and covered with tape to make sure I was putting in magnets the same. I usually put a magnet in the larger piece first then attach the second magnet to the first separated by some plastic or paper so I dont glue the pieces together then I push the second piece onto the magnet. 

I tend to use 1/8" x 1/8" inch cylinder magnets or smaller, stormfeinds weapons are plenty big for magnets like thosen

The only tricky thing about magnetizing is aligning the magnets and making sure they are the right polarity, I've messed that up several times and had to dig the magnet out and try again. 

As an alternative you could assemble everything but the weapons and play a few games to see what you like the best, magnetizing is a lot of effort and I personally have the issue of keeping track of the magnetized bits.

24 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

As an alternative you could assemble everything but the weapons and play a few games to see what you like the best, magnetizing is a lot of effort and I personally have the issue of keeping track of the magnetized bits.

That is actually a thing I didnt bear in mind, thanks! I might let it be for these rats and give it a try with the FEC since the pieces are bigger.

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I would love to just get more, but my son needs food sometimes.

Feed him with some Stormfiends, a rat that size must last a few weeks if your son is still a child! And you still have two left for your army! Just remember to remove the armour or he will have an iron overdose!

Archived