Blasted Hallowhearts and the big question

Greasygeek

In order to try to understand the enigma that is Games Workshop I want to ask if anyone can shed some light on the descision about the size of the Blasted Hallow hearts boardtiles (and also the same for the speedfreeks board tiles)? 

I really cannot wrap my head around why these tiles don’t fit the standard 72”x 48” as even GHB 19 clearly wants us to keep playing AOS on. They are pretty close to the standard size but placing objectives is unnessesary complicated and for what?

To me it seem simple that if GW released up to 8 sets of Mortal realms double sided tiles at 4’x6’. It would be an insta buy and a way for them to get in on the battlemat market that they are so very obviously missing out on.  Sure I would prefer the same mortal realm tiles as mats but that might be more complicated than pronting cardboard tiles.

What better way to help you shape your realms than already have the ground laid out for you. How come this is not already happening since AOS wants us to use the realm rules and got next to nothing to show for it when it comes to scenery?

I have been looking to buy the blasted hallowhearts box only for the Aqshy friendly lava table side, but since the size is off I will probably buy another lave mat from another company instead.

19 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Would agree, I think it's down to box size.  For me they're actually a better fit on the dining table than my realm of battle boards - those lost few inches means that there's a little more space to move round too ;)

This is really good to know. I honestly don’t have anything against downsizing the board a bit if it actually works however won’t horde armies feel disadvantaged? For some armies and games of 2500pt every inch seem to count.

54 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

For me they're actually a better fit on the dining table than my realm of battle boards.

I think this is it, actually. Tables come in all shapes and sizes, obviously, but it's rare to find tables that are 4' wide (6' long is easier.)  The widest IKEA tables are just over 3 feet, so the Hallowheart boards might overlap but not by much. I suspect creating boards that work on a majority of average dining tables was the priority, here - people who really care about having a matched-play-ready 6'x4' space probably have one, or are willing to go further to get one, than someone who wants to enhance their experience of playing normal games of Warhammer on the dinner table.

There's also the complication that, in the UK at least, table dimensions are almost always provided in centimetres. I don't think it's an accident that GW provide the board sizes in cm too .

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

This is really good to know. I honestly don’t have anything against downsizing the board a bit if it actually works however won’t horde armies feel disadvantaged? For some armies and games of 2500pt every inch seem to count.

I believe 2500pt games are recommended/supposed to be played on 8' x 4', for which the tiles are definitely too small!

I really like the boards for causal play.  And particularly for kill team. For years I used to ask at gw events why all their games were sized beyond what any typical person living in England could fit on their kitchen table.  Now at least there is kill team and underworlds. All matched play missions can theoretically be played on 3 by 5s and 4 by 4s too

I played my first game on my Blasted Hallowheart last week, and found it really good for a casual game.

With a horde army  vs a monster army we found there was enough room to move, but it does take a bit of working out to place objective in the right place.

FB_IMG_1550654813209.jpg

Archived