Carrion Empire Gone Already?

Sleboda

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you just want the models, which I guess will be most people's concern with this box, then it's still available (on the Belgian store, anyway) in the French language edition. I've noticed this with a few things before like the Kill Team starter box so worth always checking if it's something you really want and you can speak French or the supplemental material is of less interest to you.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Age-of-Sigmar-Carrion-Empire-2019-fre

10 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I've heard GW is artificially restricting 3rd party shots and online sites to an artificial cap of like 30ish products for all new releases, even very large websites and distributors. That may explain the market pressure we're seeing.

•  

That cap might well be at launch of new products and would make perfect sense; GW has to have some limits in order to be able to supply. However over the lifespan of a product I'm sure there are no limits save on some specifically limited production products. 

Just now, Overread said:

That cap might well be at launch of new products and would make perfect sense; GW has to have some limits in order to be able to supply. However over the lifespan of a product I'm sure there are no limits save on some specifically limited production products. 

Correct. This is a newly implemented cap on new releases.  It would explain why new stuff seems to be completely sold out everywhere.

I wonder if they are concerned about attracting scalpers. Short term products area prime target for scalping companies to get hold of and buy up as much stock as they can. At least if GW is restricting stock it limits the impact they can have. 

Though in the end the main limit is not on how much stock you can buy all at once; but rather on the lifespan of the product. It seems Carrion Empire is short term; that or Skaven and Flesh Eaters have outsold EVERYTHING else including khorne/Slaanesh/Genstealers and Spacewolves. Oh and Necrons and Admech from last year too. I mean I can believe that skaven and FEC are popular but not "that" popular. 

So to me it suggests that GW is shifting how they deal with some of these duel boxes. Or its a one off because it contains so much FEC stuff that GW didn't want to destroy their own core sales on that line. 

My local GW store surprisingly got no copies of the warscroll cards, 3 Skaven and 1 FEC tomes and only 2 Carrion Empire.

At the end of the day, only 1 of each tome sold (and no one else asked), and no Carrion Empire sold.

So all in all, stock levels looked roughly right

According to the recent gw financial report, they have nearly finished upgrading their production facilities. Their plan for 2019 is to upgrade warehouse facilities in Memphis. The limited production of new releases is probably because these changes haven’t come into effect yet.

52 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

I'm more surprised by how cheap it is over there - considerably more expensive in the US from the prices I've seen. 

It's over 50% off the NZ retail price.

I think Dark Sphere are even cheaper, but I have heard Element Games are more reliable.

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

No, it was a failure. They have no idea how many sales they lost.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Okay, I understand you are annoyed at this but you are now just labouring the point. If you have nothing else to add to the topic apart from snide comments, please don’t.

Also selling out all of their stock isn't a failure because if all the stock is gone then GW met their projected sales target. Perhaps faster than they thought, but they met it which means they've profited well within their projections. That's good. 

Also remember that there are only two models in the box which are not sold on their own at present, so GW isn't losing sales on the rest and won't lose sales on those special models either because they will all be retail. If anything GW will profit because those who miss the deal will (once all ebay and 3rd party and local store stock is gone) still likely end up buying those models normally. 

Carrion Empire is a short term deal on existing models; its not comparable to something like Space Hulk or Dreadfleet which were one-time sets that once they were gone they were gone. 

I also think one thing that is driving these products to sell out fast is ebay.  I bet people are buying multiple copies, keeping the armies they want and selling the rest to make up their expenses.  It works until people get frustrated only having a product available in pieces, or GW up their production quota too much and flood the market.  Don't get me wrong I love getting models from starters on ebay, but I have seen this with other boardgames, where people buy out the initial print run and then sell it for a lot more do to demand.

With these twin kits GW knows ebay and resell is going to happen because they've put two armies in the same box. There are a few - such as Forgebane, where the similarities between the armies has an increased chance of customers playing both or being convinced to play "the other side" as well; but by and large GW fully expects people to be swapping sprues or trading them or buying boxes together and splitting content. 

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

Funny, the store in my area just got another 5boxes of carrion empire.

I think we may now know where they all went to 

Fear not I'm sure those FEC players will vomit up the skaven once they find them rather spiky to eat - then I'm sure you can harvest the survivors for your Clan.

Also there's often a lag-time in distribution networks. If its a 3rd party store then the lag can be quite significant. GW sold out of the old Blood Coven set for Daughters of Khaine, but 3rd party stores were still getting stock a few months down the line. Stock gets allocated and sold and some might be earmarked for one market and locked in so even if GW's own stock is gone they've still got stock for 3rd parties and local stores on order. I'm also aware that there  are big distribution companies which buy bulk from manufacturers and then distribute to independent stores (middleman company basically) though I don't know if GW sells to them or not. If they do then its another area where bulk stock might reside and be parcelled out to 3rd party stores as orders come in. 

Just now, Overread said:

Fear not I'm sure those FEC players will vomit up the skaven once they find them rather spiky to eat - then I'm sure you can harvest the survivors for your Clan.

Yeah  all those request I got in the last few weeks just seem to be very pricey.

not sure if I want to take another one of these box sets.

You know, even if my dying wish is to at least have owned 1300clanrats, the rest of my armie sadly doesn’t paint themselves.

Archived