Dreadfane

Vakarian

Looks like a new Underworlds announcement:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

Stormcast and Nighthaunt getting new warbands, Sequitors and Banshees apparently. The starter set says it's aimed at new players - apparently some differences from standard Underworlds, wonder what they will be? 

So those red cards... are they just for Dreadfane, or are they a new concept being introduced like Lethal hexes in season 1?

Also worth mentioning is that despite being larger than the standard boards, the board has objectives placed too close to each other...

Which other existing model kits could be turned into warbands? Crawlocke, Glaivewraiths, and the Castigators come to mind.

I'm curious because Sequitors are liberators from a SCE-Chamber focused on magic, and Banshees are an anti-magic unit, but the box doens't come with any magic dice.

Another thing that I'm interested is in the boards, seems to be one big board with the same size of two Underworlds boards, but even if it's divided (and they just photoshope'd the edges), there seems to be 5 starting hexes for one board and 4 for the other. Some other hexes seems to have some type of pit but are not marked red too...

Maybe this box/game uses a board that is not compatible with Underworlds?

Edited by Beliman

Yea new board looks like a single board for the game and not translatable to Underworlds. 

Like the easy-to-build models sneaking in (I'll have another painted warband with less effort!). Weird that GW seems to think another version of Underworlds, but not-quite-Underworlds, is a good release. Glad the warbands should port over (a second Haunts warbands is cool, even if Stormcast hardly need a fourth, and I say that as a Stormcast player). 

8 hours ago, Klamm said:

Are those the easy-to-build boxes of Banshees and Sequitors that they're appropriating? If so, cool, I've got a half painted trio I never finished. 

8 hours ago, Skyeline said:

Those are indeed the easy to builds that have been snuck into Underworlds.

Quite an odd reveal, can't say I expected anything like this. Looking forward to more details.

Honestly I thought the easy to build sequitors looked an awful lot like Steelheart's champions.  My guess is that it was teh other way around. That the Ironsoul’s Condemnors were co-opted as easy to build sequitors.

21 hours ago, PJetski said:

So those red cards... are they just for Dreadfane, or are they a new concept being introduced like Lethal hexes in season 1?

Also worth mentioning is that despite being larger than the standard boards, the board has objectives placed too close to each other...

Which other existing model kits could be turned into warbands? Crawlocke, Glaivewraiths, and the Castigators come to mind.

Glaivewraiths don't seem like they have enough variation, or an obvious leader... but then I'd have said the same about the Banshees.

I'd love to see GW try to do a warband with the Celestar Ballista :P 

• 3 months later...

There is no release date for Dreadfane yet. They haven't said anything about it since the reveal announcement.

Season 3 will likely follow the format laid out by season 1 and 2 - core box in September, 2 warbands in October, 2 warbands in January, and 2 warbands in April.

• 2 months later...

Took a shot on B&N after the news broke, lo and behold Dreadfane arrived today. Mournflight are really good.  Stormcast are also good, but weaker faction cards and harder inspire mechanic. I have a Shadeglass tourney this weekend, TO said I'm good to use either band if I want. Definitely taking Mournflight. 

I think both warbands look cool (for underworlds). The ghosts are what I'm interested in. They look very underwhelming uninspired, but gain a lot when inspired. I really like that they cause you, me anyway, to come up with different combos. The teleport to any empty hex banshee opens up a lot of combo potential. You could teleport into a perfect hex and then play Centre of Attention. Or move onto any empty objective. 

There's an objective you can score if you have at least 2 fighters and all of your fighters have at least 1 wound. Combo that with shardgale and use the faction ploys that heal you. There's a ploy that lets you heal a damage and deal a damage if adjacent to an enemy fighter. 

There's an immediate objective you can score if a friendly fighter moves through a blocked hex and ends adjacent to an enemy. Shardfall can help with that. 

There's a lot of other good ploys and upgrades also for the banshees. 

Objectives that come to mind an auto-include would be Cover Ground, Shortcut, maybe Alone in the Darkness (with access to 2 distraction cards), Keep Them Guessing, and some of the faction ones

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 5:42 PM, Requizen said:

Curious if there'll be Universal cards in here, or just warband cards for the Sequitors/Banshees.

Also, couldn't be an Underworlds season without 2 Stormcast Warbands lololol

I think I read the box wont have any universal cards, only warband specific stuff.

13 hours ago, Anthony225 said:

Objectives that come to mind an auto-include would be Cover Ground, Shortcut, maybe Alone in the Darkness (with access to 2 distraction cards), Keep Them Guessing, and some of the faction ones 

Nice basis here. Definitely some kind of new aggro flex playstyle...

I love their design. Ghost flying all over the board, tormenting the opponent, strong and unpredictable... Exactly like my Chosen Axes !

Edited by WathLab