What factions/models are new in AOS and not WFB

passtheKhorneplease

So I have been getting into Age of Sigmar and know next to nothing about Warhammer Fantasy Battle and I was just wondering which of the major factions (i.e. have a pages all to themselves in the corebook) are totally new, which use some kits from the past, and which don't have any new models.  I know things like the Stormcast are all new, as well as the Slyvaneth (I think), but I was just curious as people talk a lot about old factions and model kits from those being reused.  Thanks

The vast majority of models are from the Old World. Meanwhile factions are all over the place. 

For example Daughters of Khaine are formed from the blood cult that worked within the old Dark Elves faction; one facet of the faction brought out and made into a full army with new models added for AoS (khineria, Morathi and Melusai). Some others have gotten more individual lore; for example the Scourge Privateers in the lore (Heart of Winter novella) are riding around the seas in Black Arks; huge city ships which were once used by the Dark Elves in general.

Other factions are totally new, but they are few. You've got Stormcast and Nighthaunt and Idoneth Deepkin. Furthermore there's some that have big additions of new models such as the Gloomspite Gits.

Meanwhile some are still running on old - Skaven have got pretty much all their old models around and their lore is actually quite similar too (partly because the skaven race escaped the end of the old world). Seraphon are all old models too and "sort of" kinda escaped the old world; but are mostly kicking around in some magical form. 

So it really varies quite a bit from army to army as to what is going on. 

Best thing is if you check out the old Black Library books you can get a great feel for the Old World. The Tales of Gotrek and Felix are quite good for this because they roam around and generally battle most factions at some stage and get entangled in a good few regions. Many other books are more focused on specific characters and places and races. 

This thread might help if you want to delve into the darkness of the Old World:

Everyone always wants/desire new sculpts in many factions. It will happen for many, but it does take time. I think that this year we'll see GW introducing more factions with just updated Battletomes as the biggest barrier to entry at present isn't models but rather having battletomes to bring armies together and make them work on the tabletop.

Alongside that there iwll be new stuff; its all but guaranteed that we'll see some new Slaanesh models (at the very least a new greater demon as the current one is still the much smaller original whilst all 3 of the other chaos gods have big models, heck even skaven do!). There's also a strong chance of a new Aelf army (two are planned - one demonic inspired the other angelic); and we don't know what they are going to do with the existing block of Aelven models. 

But there's always a limit on what does and doesn't get updated so some arimes will get the short straw and some old sculpts will stick around. That said many already fit really well into the aesthetic of AoS and their army design. 

Archived