Painting issue! Wet palet + shade = glaze?!?

EatMyPanini

Hello there

I recently started an ironjawz army and decided to mix two shades as none of GW’s one satisfied me. However, I discovered that after it dried, it was still pretty shiny, and god knows how aweful it looks on orruk ardboys. I’m not sure if it is due to the fact that I mixed the paints on my wet pallet or if it is just the fact of mixing two shades. Had you gone through similar problems? Would you know a way of fixing this?  I am certain that none of the shades I mixed was Glaze one.

Thanks in advance!

Which shades did you mix? I'm sure the wet palette was not the culprit; some shades dry somewhat glossy, especially if not shaken well (dunno if there is a gloss medium involved in the shade to help it flow better or something).

Try shaking the pots/bottles well before mixing. You can always tone down the glossiness with a varnish.

Hope this helps.

19 hours ago, Weazel said:

Which shades did you mix? I'm sure the wet palette was not the culprit; some shades dry somewhat glossy, especially if not shaken well (dunno if there is a gloss medium involved in the shade to help it flow better or something).

Try shaking the pots/bottles well before mixing. You can always tone down the glossiness with a varnish.

Hope this helps.

I mixed casandora yellow (5) and reikland fleshshade. Thanks for the tips btw!

7 hours ago, EatMyPanini said:

I mixed casandora yellow (5) and reikland fleshshade. Thanks for the tips btw!

You can always mix in Lahmian Medium with washes. In fact, I very rarely use water to thin washes now. Lahmian Medium I find helps it settle better. You can then always use (minimal) straight wash to go back to strengthen the depth where needed. 

Archived