Jamesdart

Hi

I’m new to the hobby, and I fell in love with the Maggotkin models. I’m in process of building an army, a big chunk of it arrives tomorrow. I’m thinking of a blightcyst battalion as the bulk. Here is my 2000pt list so far-

-glotkin (general)

-gutrot spume

-Lord of blights

-Harbinger of decay

-chaos sorcerer lord on horse

-blightking unit x3

-15 marauder horsemen unit with javelins 

My idea is that I have glotkin with two units of blightkings as a big block, slowly going forward. Gutrot spume deepstrikes with a unit of BLKs. Then I have a unit of marauder horsemen supported by a mounted chaos sorcerer lord; giving them re-rolls of 1s. Then I have a harbinger of decay to buff either the BLKs with glotkin or screened by the marauders can run forward to buff gutrot spume’s deepstrike. Which is a great distraction while glotkin, lord of blights and BLKs get in position. I wanted a mobile unit, so I thought the marauders would be super fast and can retreat, shoot and charge. They can  catch objectives or screen harbinger while he plants a Feculent Gnarlmaw.

Is my list any good? Are my ideas realistic? Would you replace any units? Should I drop chaos sorcerer for lord of plagues? What artifacts or spells etc? Are the marauders in insufficient numbers and just a gimmick that’s not worth it?

-stay tuned for ton loads of conversion- I’m doing a sea theme with rotting flesh looking like blue cheese. And the BLKs are going to be a proper ship’s motley crew

15 minutes ago, Jamesdart said:

What’s the best summoning option for holding objectives, nurglings or plaguebearers?

Nurglings are best for holding objectives simply because they are hard as hell to kill. Nurglings deal a decent amount of damage and can tank 4 wounds each. If a model is wounded it regains its hitpoints and goes back to 4 wounds. You can garente none will leave from battle shock, and  they are really annoying.

Plague bearers would be good for holding a very contended main objective, but have a very hard time survivng through battle shock with armies (like order) that specifically target daemons. 

I have always loved the little balls of mucus and fat, and i strongly reccomend at least two units in each army.

23 minutes ago, Jamesdart said:

Hi

I’m new to the hobby, and I fell in love with the Maggotkin models. I’m in process of building an army, a big chunk of it arrives tomorrow. I’m thinking of a blightcyst battalion as the bulk. Here is my 2000pt list so far-

-glotkin (general)

-gutrot spume

-Lord of blights

-Harbinger of decay

-chaos sorcerer lord on horse

-blightking unit x3

-15 marauder horsemen unit with javelins 

My idea is that I have glotkin with two units of blightkings as a big block, slowly going forward. Gutrot spume deepstrikes with a unit of BLKs. Then I have a unit of marauder horsemen supported by a mounted chaos sorcerer lord; giving them re-rolls of 1s. Then I have a harbinger of decay to buff either the BLKs with glotkin or screened by the marauders can run forward to buff gutrot spume’s deepstrike. Which is a great distraction while glotkin, lord of blights and BLKs get in position. I wanted a mobile unit, so I thought the marauders would be super fast and can retreat, shoot and charge. They can  catch objectives or screen harbinger while he plants a Feculent Gnarlmaw.

Is my list any good? Are my ideas realistic? Would you replace any units? Should I drop chaos sorcerer for lord of plagues? What artifacts or spells etc? Are the marauders in insufficient numbers and just a gimmick that’s not worth it?

-stay tuned for ton loads of conversion- I’m doing a sea theme with rotting flesh looking like blue cheese. And the BLKs are going to be a proper ship’s motley crew

Your idea of a magotkin army is great. I personally run a magotkin army based around the glotkin and some pbk's. I do not recomend a unit of mounted marauders, i would instead sub them for pusgoyle blightlords. They can not screen the harbringer (they don't really need to...), but  instead do a ****** ton of damage and travel far and fast. I have two units of two in my army and am very happy with their durability and damage output. Nurgle is supposed to move slow, use that to your advantage, make your units very tanky with the glotkins fleshy abundance ability, they will not die. I reccomend removing the chaos lord as well and replacing him with a lord of afflictions. The lord of afflictions punishes units for existing and is just as fast as the pusgoyle blightlords, but he hits more and HARDER! the marauders would not only be a waste of points, but they would also be a waste of resources. If you really need a screen use nurglings.

As far as the rest of the army it seems pretty solid. I would reccomend a lord of plagues and a couple units of nurglings if you can manage the points. Just remember to keep your blightkings killing infantry, and your heros killing heros. TAKE OUT RANGE FIRST!!!! they are your worst nightmare, nurgle hates what he can't hit. You gotta keep their army close and kill them swiftly.

Tell me if you like the info, i love the feedback! Also, try and keep your glotkin and other heros together, the exception being spume (spume and his unit are suicides that gotta kill the support units if they fail, you do....)

Here are both of my army lists, they may give you some ideas, or you may copy them.  I call it them feculent plaguemaul, and swift contagion.....

Feculent Plaguemaul: 2000pts

Glotkin-420

Lord of plagues-140

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle-120

2 units of 30 Plague bearers-  320 each

2 units of 3 nurglings-100 each

3 units of 5 PBK's- 160 each

Swift Contagion: 2500pts

Glotkin-420

Poxbringer, Herald of Nurgle-120

Lord of Plagues-140

Lord of Afflictions-220

2 units of 20 plague bearers-240 each

2 units of 3 nurglings-100 each

3 units of 5 PBK's-160 each

2 units of 2 Pusgoyle Blightlords-220 each

34 minutes ago, Boomfrickle02 said:

Your idea of a magotkin army is great. I personally run a magotkin army based around the glotkin and some pbk's. I do not recomend a unit of mounted marauders, i would instead sub them for pusgoyle blightlords. They can not screen the harbringer (they don't really need to...), but  instead do a ****** ton of damage and travel far and fast. I have two units of two in my army and am very happy with their durability and damage output. Nurgle is supposed to move slow, use that to your advantage, make your units very tanky with the glotkins fleshy abundance ability, they will not die. I reccomend removing the chaos lord as well and replacing him with a lord of afflictions. The lord of afflictions punishes units for existing and is just as fast as the pusgoyle blightlords, but he hits more and HARDER! the marauders would not only be a waste of points, but they would also be a waste of resources. If you really need a screen use nurglings.

As far as the rest of the army it seems pretty solid. I would reccomend a lord of plagues and a couple units of nurglings if you can manage the points. Just remember to keep your blightkings killing infantry, and your heros killing heros. TAKE OUT RANGE FIRST!!!! they are your worst nightmare, nurgle hates what he can't hit. You gotta keep their army close and kill them swiftly.

Tell me if you like the info, i love the feedback! Also, try and keep your glotkin and other heros together, the exception being spume (spume and his unit are suicides that gotta kill the support units if they fail, you do....)

Ok that sounds good. I’ve ordered the marauders though, so that’s a bit awkward lol. I guess I just liked the idea of a good old cavalry charge. I do like the pusgoyle blightlord models, so I’ll have to get a set. And it might be quite nice to use the flyers  to distract the flank or help spume out, put Lord of Afflictions as general, add 8” movement to the bugs and zap them at the enemy characters, by the time that’s all kicked off- Glottkin is promoted to general and the PBKs can pile in. It sounds pretty devasting!

1 hour ago, Boomfrickle02 said:

Nurglings are best for holding objectives simply because they are hard as hell to kill. Nurglings deal a decent amount of damage and can tank 4 wounds each. If a model is wounded it regains its hitpoints and goes back to 4 wounds. You can garente none will leave from battle shock, and  they are really annoying.

Plague bearers would be good for holding a very contended main objective, but have a very hard time survivng through battle shock with armies (like order) that specifically target daemons. 

I have always loved the little balls of mucus and fat, and i strongly reccomend at least two units in each army.

Cool, so I guess if it’s a contented objective the nurglings can potentially hold out until reinforcements arrive

3 hours ago, Jamesdart said:

Ok that sounds good. I’ve ordered the marauders though, so that’s a bit awkward lol. I guess I just liked the idea of a good old cavalry charge. I do like the pusgoyle blightlord models, so I’ll have to get a set. And it might be quite nice to use the flyers  to distract the flank or help spume out, put Lord of Afflictions as general, add 8” movement to the bugs and zap them at the enemy characters, by the time that’s all kicked off- Glottkin is promoted to general and the PBKs can pile in. It sounds pretty devasting!

Absolutly, just make sure the important units stay alive

11 hours ago, Boomfrickle02 said:

Cool, so I guess if it’s a contented objective the nurglings can potentially hold out until reinforcements arrive

1 hour ago, Eevika said:

I have a list based around Glottkin in the works as well and its quite similar but I have unit of 40 Plague monks in the list. I heard from a local Nurgle master that Glottkin works best with Plague monks and Chaos Marauders.  

I guess the +1 attack the Glottkin gives is best used on hoard units with lots of models. Imagine using that on 40 plague monks and Daemonic power from chaos sorcerer for Rerolling 1s for everything and 6+ mortal wounds, could be brutal... 

1 minute ago, Jamesdart said:

I guess the +1 attack the Glottkin gives is best used on hoard units with lots of models. Imagine using that on 40 plague monks and Daemonic power from chaos sorcerer for Rerolling 1s for everything and 6+ mortal wounds, could be brutal... 

Actually its the +1 wounds Glottkin gives. 80 wounds is a lot harder to kill than 40

5 hours ago, Eevika said:

Actually its the +1 wounds Glottkin gives. 80 wounds is a lot harder to kill than 40

That is true, but why not use the plaguebearers, they would be 60 wounds with a 5+ disgustingly resilient save plus their additional 5+ regular save.  That would be better than 80 woundswith a 6+ save. Plageu bearers hit more often, and wound more often. If you put a hero with the plaguebearers, they wound ay more often. Plague bearers are the better choice between the two...

5 hours ago, Jamesdart said:

That is true, but why not use the plaguebearers, they would be 60 wounds with a 5+ disgustingly resilient save plus their additional 5+ regular save.  That would be better than 80 wounds with a 6+ save. Plague bearers hit more often, and wound more often. If you put a hero with the plaguebearers, they wound ay more often. Plague bearers are the better choice between the two...

4 minutes ago, Boomfrickle02 said:

That is true, but why not use the plaguebearers, they would be 60 wounds with a 5+ disgustingly resilient save plus their additional 5+ regular save.  That would be better than 80 wounds with a 6+ save. Plague bearers hit more often, and wound more often. If you put a hero with the plaguebearers, they wound ay more often. Plague bearers are the better choice between the two...

Rats do more damage by them self

8 minutes ago, Boomfrickle02 said:

That is true, but why not use the plaguebearers, they would be 60 wounds with a 5+ disgustingly resilient save plus their additional 5+ regular save.  That would be better than 80 woundswith a 6+ save. Plageu bearers hit more often, and wound more often. If you put a hero with the plaguebearers, they wound ay more often. Plague bearers are the better choice between the two...

Plague monks with staves have 3 attack each, 5 attack with charge and 7 attacks with charge and glotkin aura. Lets say you are able to get 6 in for the first 3 ranks (pretty doable with 25mm bases) thats 12 rats hitting with the swords 4 times each and 18  rats hitting with the staves 3 times each for 102 dice rolled. With putrid blades spell on them about 1/6 of those 102 attacks, so 17ish will be straight mortal wounds in addition to the regular damage from the hits.

1 minute ago, Eevika said:

I know i was just saying thay the +1 wounds is the thing that matters more than extra attacks

Ah ok well it was the extra attacks that I was thinking about when buffing marauder horsemen with Daemonic power from chaos sorcerer lord. 

I don’t want a plaguebearer heavy list, I want to limit them to summoning and have predominantly mortal theme 

I never summon them (they were once people), i always just drop them. If you are going for a predominantly mortal them, try to use as many PBK's and Pusgoyle Blightlords as possible. They were great warriors selected by nurgle and are better warriors on the feild. I absolutly love the look of the models and the way they play. I also recommend the lords (afflictions, plagues, blights) as well because they buff the hell out of the PBK's and Pusgoyle Blightlords.

Ah ok well it was the extra attacks that I was thinking about when buffing marauder horsemen with Daemonic power from chaos sorcerer lord. 

I get it. Glottkin is just best played with big units as the spell is much much better on those. It's a lot of points so you kinda have to build around it to make it worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Jamesdart said:

Attacks power does not come from an overwhelming number of attacks, it comes from how oftenand how hard, PBK's are the way to go, sure you could swarm your opponent with 5+, 4+ attacks, but a 3+,3+ is gonna be  better anyday. Stick with the PBK's...

Archived