5kaven5lave

8 hours ago, KingOfSuede said:

Preface: I'm a Warhammer newb

What are the balance implications of a model having a base size of 25 vs 32 (in regards to the ongoing acolyte bar discussion)? At face value, I can see that the unit with the larger base takes up more room on the table, making positioning models in range for a shooting attack harder as well as being able to pile-in less models for a melee attack.

Are there other points I'm missing?

Bigger footprint also goes the other way. Your 5 squad on 32 is harder to get around as a speed bump.

Biggers squads can block out more room around an objective. Or prevent deepstriking in a bigger zone  

More and more attacks are dependent on models in range. Bigger bases equals less models in range. Take our own flamethrowers as an example. 

Just of the top of my head but there’s probably more. 

• Like 1

I'm putting together a 1k list for my stores just announced Escalation league. 

Thinking about doing Clans Verminus. Heroes being Verminlord Warbringer and 2 Clawlord on Brood Horrors. With battleline being 2 units of 40 Clanrats. That puts me to 980.

Alternatively I can swap a Brood Horror out for a regular Clawlord and have some spells for my Warbringer to cast (I only own the Skaven Endless Spells and the league starts the first week of June).

I have some other ideas for Skryre-ish lists but I really like the idea of these three heroes all buffed with Gnash-Gnaw tearing up the elite armies people at my store will be playing (I know there'll be a Deepkin and Beastclaw Raiders plus another Skaven player)

Edited by KingOfSuede
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingOfSuede said:

I'm putting together a 1k list for my stores just announced Escalation league. 

Thinking about doing Clans Verminus. Heroes being Verminlord Warbringer and 2 Clawlord on Brood Horrors. With battleline being 2 units of 40 Clanrats. That puts me to 980.

Alternatively I can swap a Brood Horror out for a regular Clawlord and have some spells for my Warbringer to cast (I only own the Skaven Endless Spells and the league starts the first week of June).

I have some other ideas for Skryre-ish lists but I really like the idea of these three heroes all buffed with Gnash-Gnaw tearing up the elite armies people at my store will be playing (I know there'll be a Deepkin and Beastclaw Raiders plus another Skaven player)

Sounds good.

Ps: just as a reminder don’t do what I did on my last attended tournament,  in other words don’t forget that your skaven hero’s (including the clawlords on Brood horrors get a look out sir in melee)

• Like 1

Well the King's blessing is good enough for me I guess. I was going to say the only downside to this list is that I have to order another Verminlord and both the Claword on Brood Horrors like today in the hopes that they get here with enough time for me to assemble them.

Since everyone doing the league is jumping into AoS, we were doing "$15 store credit to anyone who gets their army painted by the end of the league." For a $15 entry into the league, it's tempting, but a long shot for me.

15 minutes ago, KingOfSuede said:

Well the King's blessing is good enough for me I guess. I was going to say the only downside to this list is that I have to order another Verminlord and both the Claword on Brood Horrors like today in the hopes that they get here with enough time for me to assemble them.

Since everyone doing the league is jumping into AoS, we were doing "$15 store credit to anyone who gets their army painted by the end of the league." For a $15 entry into the league, it's tempting, but a long shot for me.

Well you could take something different for 1000p.

2brood Horrors sounds very interesting but there are other great and fun to play lists out there for skaven.

for example I usually use 80clanrats, 40Stormvermins and a clawlord for my 1000p games.

If you want to you could easily just go for the maximum number of clanrats you can take into your army.

I've just recently bought 2 boxes of carrion empire. Only the skaven part.

I'm totally eager of starting a Skryre army, and I want to use, at most as possible, the units from the boxes. What units can I buy that I can use properly in a Skryre army? Is it good an only Skryre army? What about the Batalion + Enginecovens, are they good?

I have to say, that I won't buy any failcast or metal model.

1 hour ago, Luzgurbel said:

Well that will really hamper the army though. Unless you convert clanrats into weapon teams, jezzails, and acolytes. Which is of course feasible, just that you'll need a bunch of clanrats and spare parts.

12 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

13 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

Well that will really hamper the army though. Unless you convert clanrats into weapon teams, jezzails, and acolytes. Which is of course feasible, just that you'll need a bunch of clanrats and spare parts.

Yea lots of that in this army, unfortunately.  I've found you can convert the IoB Warpfire team into Rattling Gunners (any sort of rotor cannon)  or the grinders (using the weird Hell Pit mouth) pretty easily, but those IoB teams go for a premium.

Skrye question - Not a complaint here, Not a negative post.

Arch-Warlock - 140 pts 

I haven’t fielded a Skrye heavy list yet, so...

I don’t see the Arch-Warlock as any kind of “auto include” - Even for Skrye lists?

If I field - How do I get every ounce for those points? 2 close combat attacks, only 4 spells to choose - Is he best used as a Buffer for Skrye?

Because I feel I’d get better use out of a Bombadier or Engineer.

How do you use the Arch-Warlock to get every point out of him during the game?

26 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Skrye question - Not a complaint here, Not a negative post.

Arch-Warlock - 140 pts 

I haven’t fielded a Skrye heavy list yet, so...

I don’t see the Arch-Warlock as any kind of “auto include” - Even for Skrye lists?

If I field - How do I get every ounce for those points? 2 close combat attacks, only 4 spells to choose - Is he best used as a Buffer for Skrye?

Because I feel I’d get better use out of a Bombadier or Engineer.

Extra wound, 3+ save, extra cast, so if you want to go pure Skryre he’s your best bet for general as he has that extra tankiness and utility. Deranged Inventor and Vigourdust Injector will almost make up for a flopped MMMWP. 

Edited by 5kaven5lave
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Coyote said:

@5kaven5lave Pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you find yourself stretched for points and can't bring an AW to buff up a single Skryre unit, then a bombardier\engineer is fine for 100 but I wouldn't make it my General at that point.

I tend to use my AW as General with Deranged Inventor, MMMWP and Vigordust as described above and I bring along 1-3 Skryre units in every list. He has utility in being the most reliable to get off WLV thanks to the Skryre re-rolls and the 2nd spell allows you to also get off MMMWP. All that + his tankiness for only 60 more points is a huge steal. Oh, and the OPB Gauntlet is a nice deterrent if a low wound hero gets too close.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBluMnM said:

Yea lots of that in this army, unfortunately.  I've found you can convert the IoB Warpfire team into Rattling Gunners (any sort of rotor cannon)  or the grinders (using the weird Hell Pit mouth) pretty easily, but those IoB teams go for a premium.

I don't care about doing some conversions. I have tons of machine guns from T'au sprues, so I'm now looking for weapon teams from the Spiral of Dawn starter pack to convert into Ratling guns.

But yeah, this army is a pain in the a...Neck regarding models. Lots of old-fashioned failcast models so if you want plastic only, you need or thousands of clanrats, or Pestilens or the Big Daemon Rats, with a copule of units from Skryre. Eshin 0 plastic models, so bad...

2 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

But yeah, this army is a pain in the a...Neck regarding models. Lots of old-fashioned failcast models so if you want plastic only, you need or thousands of clanrats, or Pestilens or the Big Daemon Rats, with a copule of units from Skryre. Eshin 0 plastic models, so bad...

It's a shame GW didn't give us any updated models, but it seems like most other armies in this wave of updated tomes are getting the same "tome+spells+terrain+one hero" treatment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I'm just happy that the tome is good.

For skryre, I wish you luck in your IoB/SoD model search 😆 If you want plastic eshin I suggest the bloodbowl team, they also make for good acolyte bodies and hands if you can find gas mask heads from the warp lightning cannon sprue

1 hour ago, Draakur said:

Have done some searching and would like to clarify  - is it the overall consensus that pure Moulder can’t really be done competitively??

I think you have some good tools in your arsenal, an element of surprise and with a master clan general you have some real options. 

I think it could be done, if all squig’s can win a big tourney before their tome a tide of mutated rats can surely do the same with a tome. 

9 hours ago, Skavelynn said:

If you want plastic eshin I suggest the bloodbowl team, they also make for good acolyte bodies and hands if you can find gas mask heads from the warp lightning cannon sprue

That part makes me sad that GW omitted Deathrunner in the BT. BB team has perfect same-pose players for count-as.

56 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I think you have some good tools in your arsenal, an element of surprise and with a master clan general you have some real options. 

I think it could be done, if all squig’s can win a big tourney before their tome a tide of mutated rats can surely do the same with a tome. 

Interesting, this is a little different to most of the other opinions I’ve read!

To what extent do we think Brood Horrors and/or Stormfiends are part of this equation?

I can't tell you how competitive, but on GW's stream they made that list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Master Moulder (100)
- General
- Trait: Hordemaster 
- Artefact: Foulhide 
Master Moulder (100)
- Artefact: Rabid Crown 

Battleline
4 x Rat Ogors (200)