Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

What do you guys think the chances are that the rest of the metal Skaven get new plastic minis? I wanna get some Ratling Guns and Warplock Jezzails but $45 and $52 respectively are insane for 3 tiny little models. No to mention Skryre Acolytes at $10 per model.

If previous practice is anything to go by, GW tend not to release new kits just out of nowhere, they're tied into battletomes or big boxes. Now skaven just had their battletome, you're looking at at least 2 years before anything new i would imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Painted up a pack of wolf rats last night, awesome models, I can't wait to get them on the table.

0411190033.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

If previous practice is anything to go by, GW tend not to release new kits just out of nowhere, they're tied into battletomes or big boxes. Now skaven just had their battletome, you're looking at at least 2 years before anything new i would imagine. 

And here I was thinking no one could get screwed harder than buyers of Witch Aelves/Vulkite Berserkers. 

If I want three sets of 30 skryre acolytes it'll only cost me 900 dollars. It's almost a dollar a point.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

And here I was thinking no one could get screwed harder than buyers of Witch Aelves/Vulkite Berserkers. 

If I want three sets of 30 skryre acolytes it'll only cost me 900 dollars. It's almost a dollar a point.  :(

There are some possible conversions but yeah it's a huge pain. They would seem to be the prime suspect for a plastic kit release- they're the battleline of one of the two clans with rules pre-battletome and one of the popular clans. Worth having a look at what others have done, I know that there's a lot of lists with 30 acolytes out there, so someone must have a cheaper solution!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Congratz said:

Clanrats in units of 40. What weapon? Spear or Sword?

Typically you go with Spears due to the extra range with unit size buffs... But as soon as you drop to less than 20 they get far worse and Clanrats tend to die in droves. Nowadays I tend to give them all swords for the 3+/3+ and at worse go to 4+/4+. Being on 25's gets you attacking in 2 ranks with 1" weapons anyway and retreat + charge let's you reposition to get more in. 

14 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

And here I was thinking no one could get screwed harder than buyers of Witch Aelves/Vulkite Berserkers. 

If I want three sets of 30 skryre acolytes it'll only cost me 900 dollars. It's almost a dollar a point.  :(

No one at all should ever buy those models. Acolytes are some of the easiest things to convert with some Plague Monks, skitarii backpacks and throwing arm bits, of which there's an abundance of. People have posted a ton of ones they've done so just a matter of looking around for inspiration. I'm currently building mine from Stormvermin and Drake fire guns for some "grenade launcher acolytes".. But no matter what you do you could spend ~$50 and make 20 of them from monks and various bits you get from eBay. 

Hell, I'll even sell you the 30 or so I made a couple years ago that I don't plan to use anymore if you're interested. 

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

What do you guys think the chances are that the rest of the metal Skaven get new plastic minis? I wanna get some Ratling Guns and Warplock Jezzails but $45 and $52 respectively are insane for 3 tiny little models. No to mention Skryre Acolytes at $10 per model.

From third party designer probably sometime soon.

from Gw personally we might need to wait another 1-2years, since they probably don’t care about the models needing an update about now, if we are lucky we might get an update like the csm, but that will probaly still need a year or so.

51 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

And here I was thinking no one could get screwed harder than buyers of Witch Aelves/Vulkite Berserkers. 

If I want three sets of 30 skryre acolytes it'll only cost me 900 dollars. It's almost a dollar a point.  :(

Yep one of the many reason why I don’t care I’m buying any of the metal units/models.

your sometimes just better of building your own from clanrats or Stormvermins etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Typically you go with Spears due to the extra range with unit size buffs... But as soon as you drop to less than 20 they get far worse and Clanrats tend to die in droves. Nowadays I tend to give them all swords for the 3+/3+ and at worse go to 4+/4+. Being on 25's gets you attacking in 2 ranks with 1" weapons anyway and retreat + charge let's you reposition to get more in. 

No one at all should ever buy those models. Acolytes are some of the easiest things to convert with some Plague Monks, skitarii backpacks and throwing arm bits, of which there's an abundance of. People have posted a ton of ones they've done so just a matter of looking around for inspiration. I'm currently building mine from Stormvermin and Drake fire guns for some "grenade launcher acolytes".. But no matter what you do you could spend ~$50 and make 20 of them from monks and various bits you get from eBay. 

Hell, I'll even sell you the 30 or so I made a couple years ago that I don't plan to use anymore if you're interested. 

What arms do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, States said:

What arms do you use?

I used electro-priest arms, but I'm sure there may be better. They were cheap (usually around 10 for $2) and got the job done.

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I don't normally give hobby updates but I figured I would show off my (done aside from basing) Bombardier and 1 of the 9 Jezzails I'm repainting to match my desaturation color scheme. Also, I'm currently working on new "Grenadier Acolytes" to replace my older Acolytes. Definitely don't look the same, but hopefully any major tourneys will let them pass for creativity? Saw the idea for them on FB so I had to try it out myself.

Still unsure if I want to attach backpacks or hoses to them.. or a bandoleer of orbs?
Attach37553_20190411_204544.jpg.75e10936336e991a5390baff055d84e7.jpg
Attach37552_20190411_204544.jpg.4804adb59ca6b8d68dd896eb460caad7.jpg
Attach37554_20190411_204544.jpg.f0a590dfcd4c991091328a1015b7e3a9.jpg

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gwendar said:

So, I don't normally give hobby updates but I figured I would show off my (done aside from basing) Bombardier and 1 of the 9 Jezzails I'm repainting to match my desaturation color scheme. Also, I'm currently working on new "Grenadier Acolytes" to replace my older Acolytes. Definitely don't look the same, but hopefully any major tourneys will let them pass for creativity? Saw the idea for them on FB so I had to try it out myself.

Still unsure if I want to attach backpacks or hoses to them.. or a bandoleer of orbs?
Attach37553_20190411_204544.jpg.75e10936336e991a5390baff055d84e7.jpg
Attach37552_20190411_204544.jpg.4804adb59ca6b8d68dd896eb460caad7.jpg
Attach37554_20190411_204544.jpg.f0a590dfcd4c991091328a1015b7e3a9.jpg

Surely they are allowed.

I mean sure they don’t throw their poisoned wind filled glasball towards the enemy but, they instead are equipped with gasflamthrowers (or what ever story you made up)

I mean such an fantastic invention, is in no need for any acolytes to be used, better of giving your own Stormvermins this magnificent guns to deal with the enemy😉.

For tournament reasons, it’s a conversion and a rather good one, so should be hopefully on most of these events allowed

 

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should help since almost no one actually runs normal Acolytes due to their cost so everyone's going to have something different. 

Thanks though, glad you like them. They're honestly super easy to do since Stormvermin are already built with 2h poses so you really don't have to fiddle around with them or greenstuff anything. Finding Drakefire guns was a bit of a hassle though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

It should help since almost no one actually runs normal Acolytes due to their cost so everyone's going to have something different. 

Thanks though, glad you like them. They're honestly super easy to do since Stormvermin are already built with 2h poses so you really don't have to fiddle around with them or greenstuff anything. Finding Drakefire guns was a bit of a hassle though. 

Same her I literally just build mine out of clanrats, green stuff and a few 40k bitz863ECBB3-B495-4092-BC1F-AC09CEF48694.jpeg.abc3a8db9692f7c93e42cd701cf6bce0.jpegalthough still need a few more 40k space marine bitz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quick question I assume someone has run into before, can I Skitterleap a hero thats on a Balewind Vortex? I know the vortex says it can't move, but is removing and re-setting up a move?

 

And for a Warpcog Convocation can I take multiple of the same enginecoven? (Like 2 Arkhspark Voltik and then that qualifies for a warpcog? Since it says 2-5 enginecovens)

Edited by SleeperAgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

Quick question I assume someone has run into before, can I Skitterleap a hero thats on a Balewind Vortex? I know the vortex says it can't move, but is removing and re-setting up a move?

 

And for a Warpcog Convocation can I take multiple of the same enginecoven? (Like 2 Arkhspark Voltik and then that qualifies for a warpcog? Since it says 2-5 enginecovens)

Teleporting in that manner is different, so yes, you can do that. 

And yes, Warpcogs allow multiples of the same Enginecovens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A second quick question - I know the new rules for stormfiend weapon selection, however I am wondering if you are able to mix and match between the same equipment "bundles" in bigger units. 

I.e. 6 Stormfiends - 1 rattling gun, 1 grinderfist, 1 shockfist, 1 ball of death fist, and 2 warp fire throwers... OR do you have to choose between 2 rattling guns or 2 grinderfists. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kiwanis said:

A second quick question - I know the new rules for stormfiend weapon selection, however I am wondering if you are able to mix and match between the same equipment "bundles" in bigger units. 

I.e. 6 Stormfiends - 1 rattling gun, 1 grinderfist, 1 shockfist, 1 ball of death fist, and 2 warp fire throwers... OR do you have to choose between 2 rattling guns or 2 grinderfists. 

Thanks!

I think you can only do 2,2,2. It says “a third of... can be armed with one of ...” rather than with any of.  Most of the time, you’re better off with multiples anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, I had an unsuspectingly quick game against Seraphon today at 2k playing Total Commitment.

Skaven List

Spoiler

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (160)

Endless Spells
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 165


Seraphon List

Spoiler

Allegiance: Seraphon
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Trait: Great Rememberer 
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade 
Skink Starpriest (80)
- Artefact: Spellmirror 
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
- Artefact: Betrayer's Crown 
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 

Battleline
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
10 x Skinks (60)
- Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances
5 x Saurus Knights (90)
- Lances

Units
6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
4 x Razordons (160)

Battalions
Dracothion's Tail (80)
Firelance Starhost (150)
Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110
 


T1
He (of course) has a 1 drop so even though I won priority, I opted to let him start setup first and he decided to take 1st turn. Placed 2 Gnawholes on the sides to teleport the Jezzails wherever they can get a clean shot on the Slann since I assumed I would be picked to go 1st... instead he covered the holes so nothing could come through. The Rippers hit my left side with the Bell + 40 Clanrats and manage to kill 29 Clanrats and that was that.

My turn shows a great +1 to casting rolls from the Bell which I was fine with getting T1. I get both Warpgales off on the Rippers and I found out that my 2d6 roll of 12 for the free Verminlord was instead blessed upon a roll to cast Mystic Shield for a total of 14. Really exciting. Warpseer gets off WLV with a total of 10 thanks to the +3 I had from the Gnawhole + Bell + MoM so I of course decided to throw it on the heavily contested right side and the fun begins with whittling down his 15 Knights, Slann and Scar Vet. Movement phase had the Doomwheel move 17" over-top some Knights and the Scar-Vet and managed to put a few wounds onto the Slann with a wonderful 2d6 roll of 3. Jezzails manage to do 9 damage to the Rippers and 6 to the Razordons.. if only I had remembered to spark them that would've been the end of that. 11 Clanrats charge to finish off the lone Ripper, but just barely thanks to the -1 to hit from Starlight.

Let me re-iterate to everyone who thinks the WLV isn't good; remember all that damage happens at the start of every movement phase (I couldn't read today, I'm aware it's at the end. I blame lack of sleep) on top of the initial time it was cast. I really can't believe people still think it's a bad spell. That isn't even counting it's debuffs.

Tied 2-2
Attach37636_20190412_191709.jpg.cf94a3f0f828f0aa3e7f6f6ab0d1a7a1.jpg
Attach37639_20190412_191719.jpg.770014c4996450bc790f1bf5b0551c8a.jpg
Attach37637_20190412_191709.jpg.4695ea56643b79c6b0f73ffa0a09a133.jpg


T2
I won't lie, I got pretty lucky by getting a double-turn here 3-2 and that pretty much sealed the deal. He actually manages to unbind most of my spells, but I wasn't too concerned since the WLV was still out and able to play cleanup of the original mess it created in the first place. WLC + WLV finish off all but 1-2 Knights and the Scar-vet while the Doomwheel only manages 2 wounds through on the Slann.. But that was enough to finish it off. Speaking of shooting, the Jezzails got Vigrodust and a Spark leading 4 of them to do 9 damage to the 2 remaining Razordons and 5 doing 12 damage to the 10 Skinks in front of them. Out of those shots, only 1-3 of them were MW's I believe. Days like these continue to make me confident using them over 2 WLC's.

At this point, my opponent was ready to concede but wanted to see if he could teleport and charge his Carnosaur into the unprotected bell to kill it off and grab the objective. He managed to get 7 wounds through and that was that.

Game ends 7-3, Major Victory for Skaven
Attach37640_20190412_191719.jpg.b51fba7ef003a10bc59ed8f9d0362532.jpgAttach37641_20190412_191719.jpg.5853e1d6a7403c16f2b24b1b6c723dd7.jpg


Overall thoughts
I had  to modify my Acolyte list by replacing them with a WLC, Doomwheel and taking out Vermintide since I only want to use my new Acolytes once they're finished (only have 10\30 built currently). Still, this game reinvigorated my love for the Doomwheel, but I know that I won't always get those 16"-22" movements and it could've done quite a bit more in the shooting phase but I rolled quite low. All in all it's a great harassment unit that can do some great damage and is pretty cheap considering.

MVP was obviously still the WLV and Jezzails. I didn't get to do much with the Screaming Bell, but I still think it needs to be included. Arch-Warlock did mostly nothing but that was an error on my part for wanting to stick him close enough to buff the Jezzails if they ever got a chance to go through a Gnawhole. I really want to give the Doomwheel a few more games to see how it does, but I think I'll still be sticking with the 25-30 Acolytes.


Anyway, thanks for reading everyone. Local tourney is the last Saturday of the month so I'll try to get a a recap of my 2-3 games that I will be having there.

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

start of every movement

End of every movement phase.

 

39 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

won't always get those 16"-22" movements

Bring 2 or 3 to make it consistant ^.^

Kind of want to run 2 wheel in my list, but not sure if it's worth jt over the unit of clan rats and war bringer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

End of every movement phase.

I can't read, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Every other game I've done it at the end of the phase... not sure why I thought different today. Maybe it was the 4 hours of sleep?

I've no need for that many Doomwheels though. They're nice to have if you want to squeeze one in but... overall I don't know that I would take one just to take one.

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I can't read, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Every other game I've done it at the end of the phase... not sure why I thought different today. Maybe it was the 4 hours of sleep?

I've no need for that many Doomwheels though. They're nice to have if you want to squeeze one in but... overall I don't know that I would take one just to take one.

It happens to all of us. Its still really strong reguardless as the vortex can often one shot character on its own over 3 ticks. Even more so if you catch them in the middle. 

 

It more about taking the edge of randomness by repeating the number of them you have. 

 

But yeah not sure they'd do all that well in my army. They just look like alot of fun. Also playing with jazzails, but the durability in numbers thing is just too good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

It happens to all of us. Its still really strong reguardless as the vortex can often one shot character on its own over 3 ticks. Even more so if you catch them in the middle. 

 

It more about taking the edge of randomness by repeating the number of them you have. 

 

But yeah not sure they'd do all that well in my army. They just look like alot of fun. Also playing with jazzails, but the durability in numbers thing is just too good. 

I was pretty ecstatic that I rolled 2 6's and both were only 1 MW on the Slann. Oh well, he died in the end which is what ended the game.. no summoning for a summoning heavy seraphon list generally spells the end.

I feel like 2-3 Doomwheels would do decently, but it just wouldn't be something I would invest in and prefer to put the points into more reliable units. I forgot that they did d3 damage at first so it was quite likely I could've 1-shot the Slann with it that first turn.

Jezzails tend to do far more for me on average, but I still like WLC's sometimes. While I couldn't do it this game, I do like throwing MMMWP\Deranged Inventor + Vigordust + Spark on a Skitterleaped Engineer to follow along the Gnawholes with the Jezzails and put an end to whatever is annoying me the most. I often do it by T2\3 when they've largely forgotten about the Gnawholes. Jezzails are fine to sit in the back for awhile as their range can cover most of where the action will be. Obviously a big block of Acolytes take the buffs 90% of the time.

I do want to try out Catapults at some point to hit the hiders.. may proxy 2 of them and see how it goes.

Edited by Gwendar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, Gwendar said:

So, I don't normally give hobby updates but I figured I would show off my (done aside from basing) Bombardier and 1 of the 9 Jezzails I'm repainting to match my desaturation color scheme. Also, I'm currently working on new "Grenadier Acolytes" to replace my older Acolytes. Definitely don't look the same, but hopefully any major tourneys will let them pass for creativity? Saw the idea for them on FB so I had to try it out myself.

Still unsure if I want to attach backpacks or hoses to them.. or a bandoleer of orbs?
Attach37553_20190411_204544.jpg.75e10936336e991a5390baff055d84e7.jpg
Attach37552_20190411_204544.jpg.4804adb59ca6b8d68dd896eb460caad7.jpg
Attach37554_20190411_204544.jpg.f0a590dfcd4c991091328a1015b7e3a9.jpg

Don't forget Acolyte are on 32mm base now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Saodexan said:

Don't forget Acolyte are on 32mm base now. 

I think i saw some one sent gw a message and they said that was a miss print or something 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

I think i saw some one sent gw a message and they said that was a miss print or something 

 

It was me, they confirmed that 32mm was correct and that 25mm was a misprint. It’s been changed to 32mm on the base size thing now as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I've no need for that many Doomwheels though. They're nice to have if you want to squeeze one in but... overall I don't know that I would take one just to take one.

8894DD81-A261-4964-A6C2-E9944C344C55.gif.87a40258e44c279ffde0aa115a37103e.gif

don't tell me you never wanted to field a triangle of doom (3Doomwheels in formation)

are you sure your not getting sick😳

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...