5kaven5lave

@Zuriaxis totally your choice.

You can go for a military style clean weapons (no rust) with uniform painting for each one giving them a sense of structure and order. Or you can go fully rag-tag with a whole motley of colours and rust and all other things. Skaven work well in both forms and it really comes down to your own painting skills and your own desires and theme. 

So its really up to you - its easier to paint one scheme and faster; but you can certainly vary things up as much or as little as you want. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xelotath said:

https://jesterpaintingstudio.weebly.com/blog/how-to-speed-paint-skaven

i really like this tutorial for clanrats, I think somebody posted it on TGA before but I can’t remember who

I know I've definitely shared that around some as I used that technique for pretty much every miniature I've ever done.

However, I've decided that now was a good time to start re-painting my Skaven in a more unified scheme and I've decided to go with a selective desaturation style. On the fence about leaving the cloth uncolored (if I did I would just use a diluted ink\shade\glaze to tint it slightly), but so far it's received pretty positive feedback so I'll probably just leave it. The process was pretty easy and I could easily batch paint 20-40 Clanrats in just a few hours this way.
Attach34560_20190214_123331.jpg.0a9e24d2ecc0c504df0909cdf34eef0e.jpg
Attach34559_20190214_123331.jpg.8fa721e52e2af6a064cca7948ef69c0a.jpg

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 4

I'd want to give the cloth some colour, but have it like the tail so that its more muted. Also it might be the photos, but I'd want some additional texture on the fur - esp around the face and upper arms just to try and reinforce that its fur not skin. 

Otherwise I really like it - the green weapons and red eyes really stand out whilst the tail has a very natural look to it which blends well with the fur. 

• Like 2

@Overread Thanks! Like I said, the whole idea is more of a Sin-City\Selective-Desaturation so it's kind of meant to be black\white\grey with pops of bright color. For other mini's, I most certainly would be using glazes to give a full amount of color. I'll probably do that for my Legion of Azgorh or FeC when I get around to it.

I'm doing some Rat Ogors in the same manner today, so we'll see how I feel about it after they're done.

36 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

@Overread Thanks! Like I said, the whole idea is more of a Sin-City\Selective-Desaturation so it's kind of meant to be black\white\grey with pops of bright color. For other mini's, I most certainly would be using glazes to give a full amount of color. I'll probably do that for my Legion of Azgorh or FeC when I get around to it.

I'm doing some Rat Ogors in the same manner today, so we'll see how I feel about it after they're done.

Pics of the rat ogres please! I really like the sin city look you’ve got going there! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

I know I've definitely shared that around some as I used that technique for pretty much every miniature I've ever done.

However, I've now decided that now was a good time to start re-painting my Skaven in a more unified scheme and I've decided to go with a selective desaturation style. On the fence about leaving the cloth uncolored (if I did I would just use a diluted ink\shade\glaze to tint it slightly), but so far it's received pretty positive feedback so I'll probably just leave it. The process was pretty easy and I could easily batch paint 20-40 Clanrats in just a few hours this way.
Attach34560_20190214_123331.jpg.0a9e24d2ecc0c504df0909cdf34eef0e.jpg
Attach34559_20190214_123331.jpg.8fa721e52e2af6a064cca7948ef69c0a.jpg

Realm of Ulgu would be a cool fit. Sweet work man. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kugane said:

I wonder if stormvermin are going to be necesary. I love painting clanrats, But for some reason not so much when it comes to stormvermin haha.

Nah, I don’t really believe stormvermin will be a must take.

I can see that will have many options where Stormvermins definitely won’t be needed at all.

clanrats do the tricks just fine as meathsields, and when needed a hammer well, we still have other great options like ratogres, Stormfiends etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I wonder if stormvermin are going to be necesary. I love painting clanrats, But for some reason not so much when it comes to stormvermin haha.

I don't think they will be mandatory at all. I do want to experiment with using them as battleline over clanrats though, especially in lower point games. If you need a unit that can deal good damage there are a lot more options than just stormvermin. Rat ogres, plague monks, gutter runners, stormfiends, and jezzails are all seeming to be good choices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I argue the same as above. If they dropped in points I would easily include them (I mean, Witch Aelves are still 30 for 270 points, so...) but at present I'm personally hedging my bets between Rat Ogors + Master Moulder or a unit of 20 Gutter Runners.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I argue the same as above. If they dropped in points I would easily include them (I mean, Witch Aelves are still 30 for 270 points, so...) but at present I'm personally hedging my bets between Rat Ogors + Master Moulder or a unit of 20 Gutter Runners.

I was hoping they'd drop in points down to 120, especially since they removed their outnumbering  hit bonus rule for the new allegiance ability, which requires them to be in groups larger than 20 which can be awfully expensive. Having them as battleline does help in some ways though I guess.

Edited by Skavelynn

9 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

I was hoping they'd drop in points down to 120, especially since they removed their outnumbering  hit bonus rule for the new allegiance ability, which requires them to be in groups larger than 20 which can be awfully expensive. Having them as battleline does help in some ways though I guess.

Battleline definitely helps, but when many of us want to mix it's hard to fit in more than, say 20 of them.. and I really want them to be at 40 for the +1\+1 bonus and 500 points for such a glass-hammer is really easy to turn away from when I can invest 200-440 points for the previous mentioned units. The amount of damage you can get out of them is pretty incredible, but again I really like comparing them to Witch Aelves, even when unbuffed.

18 minutes ago, Skavelynn said:

Yeah, well maybe they’ll get cheaper with ghb 2019.

Anyways will be trying out a 1500p list tomorrow, and was wondering what your frights where about it.

It consist of:

1Verminlord warbringer:260p

(General, artefacts, commanabillity not sure yet)

1Clawlord:100p

(traits etc. Not known yet)

1grey seer: 120p

battleline:

40Stormvermins:500p

2x40clanrats:400p

others:

2x1warpflamers:140p

Looks fun and thanks for the quick reply! I guess in that case it is time to dig up the crate of clanrats (i have like 250 unpainted clanrats and 130 painted). Time to put some paint to another unit of 40 haha. Because every army needs 120 clanrats to accompany their other 80 clanrats. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Xelotath said:

Pics of the rat ogres please! I really like the sin city look you’ve got going there! 

As requested. Took about (excluding dry time for the initial Nuln wash) maybe 10 minutes per Ogor? One obviously took around 15-20 due to filling in his back which, luckily, is easy to do with an overloaded brush of super-thin paint as it just flows right in. My brush didn't have the sharpest point so that added to the time as well. Oh, and I purposefully drybrushed a bit hard of the moot green to get a glow\osl effect.

Anyway, glad you all like the theme! Planning to re-prime or strip all of my Skaven to match the scheme once I finish up another project.

20190215_141035.jpg.9ccf60e12ea199933ff9ec3ff07e845c.jpg
20190215_141100.jpg.9e8db0a159ddf7e7ca75ec88868489c0.jpg

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 5

54 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Thanks! The darker green is Warpstone Glow and the light green drybrush is Moot Green. I've found they work best for a good contrasted Warpstone look.

Classic warpstone! 

You can add a bit of yellow to the tips, or at least that's what GW always recommends. I personally like the Gauss Green (is that it?) edge paint.

• Like 1