5kaven5lave

The Three Fangs is intriguing, I'd love to hear that taking out a big baddie like Nagash sometime.  

Some would say that's not enough Clanrats, but you know, I think that's plenty of bodies in the Acolytes and Gutter Runners to make up for it.   People seem to like the Acolytes.  I haven't looked at those but I'm not into Skryre…..for now.

Full units of acolytes are crazy good. Been preaching that for a long time :D and they're much better now! They're crippled by the neccessity of large scale conversion though. That'll be the main reason you don't see them used as much as they would have been. 

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

Full units of acolytes are crazy good. Been preaching that for a long time :D and they're much better now! They're crippled by the neccessity of large scale conversion though. That'll be the main reason you don't see them used as much as they would have been. 

Can confirm, they melt anything and are super mobile. 

• Like 1

The list was made with the idea of "how many threats can I force my opponent to deal with"?

The gutter runners can deep strike and shred infantry or soft targets, the Deceiver is a hero killer, Thanquol is Thanquol and he's on Boneripper, the Warlock bombardier is a consistent source of long range damage, and the Acolytes are anti-everything which are bubble wrapped by clan rats.

Allegiance: Skaventide

LEADERS
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200) - General - Command Trait : Master of Magic - Artefact : Suspicious Stone - Lore of Ruin : Plague
Thanquol on Boneripper (400) - Lore of Ruin : Warpgale
Warlock Bombardier (100) - Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!

UNITS
40 x Clanrats (200)  -Rusty Spear
1x Warpfire Thrower (70)
1x Warpfire Thrower (70)

WAR MACHINES
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Doomwheel (160)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Vermintide (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 181

This will be my final list. I think I'm happy. Gives me a little bit of everything to play with in a good codex.

Edited by AngryPlatypus

Well, I have been doing quite well recently (4-0 locally) with a particular list but the upcoming Khorne has me somewhat worried for how magic focused it is. I've been throwing around some other ideas in my head and thought I would share. All of this is of course in need of testing.. I try to create all-comers lists and I feel my current one best represents this. I have individual notes at the bottom of each for my thoughts. I'll be giving each of these a shot over the coming months, the first of which will probably be the Skryre-based army once all my bits come in for Acolytes.

Anyway, feedback on any of these is appreciated. Depending how 6 Stormfiends or 30 Acolytes do, I may include them elsewhere.

Current 4-0 List. Magic Heavy:

Spoiler

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Grey Seer (120)
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: Warp Lightning Shield

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

Plenty of bodies for Objectives and 7 casts\unbinds is wonderful, especially with Thanquol almost guaranteeing WLV to go off. 2 cannons for hero\elite-sniping and cheeky Gnawhole teleports + Skitterleaping the Bombardier to overcharge a cannon magnify this. Considering dropping the Warpfire thrower + Grey Seer in favor of an HPA but be left without a CP or drop Shackles as well for 20 Gutter Runners and start with a CP.

Acolytes\HPA. Shooting\Magic Focused:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
30 x Skryre Acolytes (320)

Behemoths
Hell Pit Abomination (220)

War Machines

Endless Spells

Total: 1940 / 2000
Wounds: 140

Essentially the same as the above but with less bodies in favor of a distraction carnifex and unit annihilation via 30 Acolytes. 20 Clanrats will have very low survivability so I consider this a bit of a glass cannon build and banking on the Acolytes not getting shot\MW'd to death before they can kill a few units.

Triple Verminlord. Combat Focused:

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave
20 x Gutter Runners (200)

Behemoths

Endless Spells

Wounds: 168

This started as a bit of a fun build, but I can see some potential here. Clanrats of 20 still not going to be doing much, but the Monks and Gutter Runners can potentially do quite a lot for me in combat. The Corrupter will be Skitterleaped into range of something that needs to die, potentially replacing the lack of Cannons. Deceiver can come in via Gnawhole with the 20 Gutter Runners T1 to pop his CA for some deepstrike shenanigans against squishier units.

The Monks not getting re-rolls from the Skitterleaped Corrupter (probably putting him out of range) would be my only issue, but I feel they would do well enough without it due to sheer volume of attacks with staves.

Acolytes\WLC's\Stormfiends. Pure Shooting:

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Ratling Guns, 2x Windlaunchers, 2x Shock Gauntlets
20 x Skryre Acolytes (240)

War Machines

Endless Spells

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 120

And here we have our black sheep. I continue to hear good things about the destructibility of 6 fully buffed Stormfiends so I feel it's time to finally test it. Now, obviously with this list I'm sacrificing my ability to hold objectives with the potential to do some grievous shooting which, if it goes well enough, should be able to kill things off of objectives.

I really can't leave the house without the WLV considering it's won me so many games so I will include it here to be used with the Warpseer on a +2 Cast with Master of Magic, although an Arch-Warlock with re-rolls works just as well, if not better when next to a Gnawhole. The other option is to remove it in favor of another Engineer, but I don't believe it's worth the tradeoff. Double MMWP is for redundancy as I feel the army relies on it. 

Edited by Gwendar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bojigwe said:

What are the new Skaven battalions like? 

Now I don't have major playtest data behind me but purely from observation and analysis I can say that most of them are pretty bad. 

Virulent procession is ****** but it's not meant for 2k points anyway. Congregation of filth is decent but overpriced (should cost no more than 120). Foulrain is probably only battalion in the book I can call actually good. Plaguesmog on the other hand is the biggest joke ever.

Verminus one seems good on paper, but +1 attack on wholly within 13" for 1 command point is bleh, made worse by the outrageous 180 point cost (better off just buying 2 extra command points for 100 and using those for the attack boost). Moulder one is decent but again overpriced. Skyre one is horrible trash. It's so overpriced that it's only viable in 3k+ games. Eshin one would be solid but has one problem: night runners. Night runners along with doom flayer weapon team are the worst units in the battletome. 80 for unit that is basically as good as clanrats but doesn't have universal battleline... and to think plague monks are cheaper than them. It's just too heavy tax imo (gutter runners are actually good).

Skyre one from carrion empires box is ok but nothing more. Decent if you really need that extra artifact.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Well, I have been doing quite well recently (4-0 locally) with a particular list but the upcoming Khorne has me somewhat worried for how magic focused it is. I've been throwing around some other ideas in my head and thought I would share. All of this is of course in need of testing.. I try to create all-comers lists and I feel my current one best represents this. I have individual notes at the bottom of each for my thoughts. I'll be giving each of these a shot over the coming months, the first of which will probably be the Skryre-based army once all my bits come in for Acolytes.

Anyway, feedback on any of these is appreciated. Depending how 6 Stormfiends or 30 Acolytes do, I may include them elsewhere.

Current 4-0 List. Magic Heavy:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
Grey Seer (120)
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units

War Machines

Endless Spells
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Wounds: 154

Plenty of bodies for Objectives and 7 casts\unbinds is wonderful, especially with Thanquol almost guaranteeing WLV to go off. 2 cannons for hero\elite-sniping and cheeky Gnawhole teleports + Skitterleaping the Bombardier to overcharge a cannon magnify this. Considering dropping the Warpfire thrower + Grey Seer in favor of an HPA but be left without a CP or drop Shackles as well for 20 Gutter Runners and start with a CP.

Acolytes\HPA. Shooting\Magic Focused:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
Warlock Bombardier (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
30 x Skryre Acolytes (320)

Behemoths

War Machines

Endless Spells

Wounds: 140

Essentially the same as the above but with less bodies in favor of a distraction carnifex and unit annihilation via 30 Acolytes. 20 Clanrats will have very low survivability so I consider this a bit of a glass cannon build and banking on the Acolytes not getting shot\MW'd to death before they can kill a few units.

Triple Verminlord. Combat Focused:

Reveal hidden contents

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Verminlord Deceiver (300)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave
20 x Gutter Runners (200)

Behemoths

Endless Spells

Wounds: 168

This started as a bit of a fun build, but I can see some potential here. Clanrats of 20 still not going to be doing much, but the Monks and Gutter Runners can potentially do quite a lot for me in combat. The Corrupter will be Skitterleaped into range of something that needs to die, potentially replacing the lack of Cannons. Deceiver can come in via Gnawhole with the 20 Gutter Runners T1 to pop his CA for some deepstrike shenanigans against squishier units.

The Monks not getting re-rolls from the Skitterleaped Corrupter (probably putting him out of range) would be my only issue, but I feel they would do well enough without it due to sheer volume of attacks with staves.

Acolytes\WLC's\Stormfiends. Pure Shooting:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Ratling Guns, 2x Windlaunchers, 2x Shock Gauntlets

War Machines

Endless Spells

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 120

And here we have our black sheep. I continue to hear good things about the destructibility of 6 fully buffed Stormfiends so I feel it's time to finally test it. Now, obviously with this list I'm sacrificing my ability to hold objectives with the potential to do some grievous shooting which, if it goes well enough, should be able to kill things off of objectives.

I really can't leave the house without the WLV considering it's won me so many games so I will include it here to be used with the Warpseer on a +2 Cast with Master of Magic, although an Arch-Warlock with re-rolls works just as well, if not better when next to a Gnawhole. The other option is to remove it in favor of another Engineer, but I don't believe it's worth the tradeoff. Double MMWP is for redundancy as I feel the army relies on it. 

What setup do you take on thanquol?

9 minutes ago, Primes said:

I see a disturbing lag of our most glorious invention: Doomwheels.

I know they are pretty random but they seem to be a nice distraction and mobility piece in a low model count skryre army?

I mean... they're okay now compared to what they were but those points would be far better served elsewhere in my opinion and as Skreech says, they're just far too random to be a good competitive choice. One example being that I would much rather pay 40 more points for 20 Gutter Runners to act as a harasser unit and they deepstrike T1. They're actually good in combat as well if you charge them in.

If you're going full Skryre and don't plan to mix then I would say it's better to invest more into shooting as that is where your specialty is. Of course, in pure Skryre a Doomwheel isn't a terrible option I guess, but I would rather go full on shooting most of the time.

12 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I always equip Thanquol 50\50 as 4 Warpfire is typically overkill and this helps him do some damage in combat.

What do you think of this list?

Grey Seer (120)
- General
Warlock Bombardier (100)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
1 x Ratling Gun (80)
Doomwheel (160)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

Wounds: 137

I can always swap out the maelstrom and get another warpfire (and reach 2k). Don't have more clanrats. (Still have stormfiendsx6, 40giant rats, all spells)

I have some games this weekend, but most worried about one vs our new LoN player (a little try harder who wasn't winning enough with stormcast so he switched again). I know he runs Sacrament Arkhan + Prince Vhordai + 2 Morghasts and 40 skelies, 2 necros, dire wolves etc. I've never went against LoN.

Also don't know if I should take frenzy on thanquol (with only 1 stack of 40 rats is it worth it?) Maybe scorch for more focused damage on the dragon, or warpgale for more engagement control?

What are your opinions?

@States I'm not a fan of ratling gun teams (I know how much they can do but I dislike the short range required) or Doomwheels. The ratlings may be somewhat safe against LoN since it's less likely to be sniped. If I planned to use Ratling gun teams, I would most certainly bring at least 2-3 as they're made of paper and you will always want to overcharge them which comes at the risk of death anyway.

When I play again death armies, I ensure I have 2 things:
1. Ranged output which is either in the form of 6-12 Jezzails or 2 WLC's.

2. A way to deal with hordes, which is typically 1-2 Warpfire throwers or 1 + Thanquol who really needs to be behind a screen. Worth noting that Scorch and Plague are great anti-horde spells as well if you want to save some points.

Death relies quite a lot on their heroes being alive so you really need something that can easily take them out and it's why I almost always run 2 WLC's or 9 Jezzails.

You already have 7 casts\unbinds so maelstrom will probably hurt you more than it will help you. I would definitely drop Death Frenzy in favor of Warpgale as casting 2 Warpgales on a single unit (or spread the love against 2 units) will stack and they'll do nothing when combined with shackles. This lets your Vortex do even more damage to them as they struggle to get out of it. Arkhan will be a bit of a struggle considering he has + to cast\unbind so I would cast Vortex last to bait out some unbind attempts. Another good choice is Scorch or Plague for anti-horde spells if you feel you're lacking in that department.

Outside of all that, it really just depends on the matchups and scenarios. I always try to make all-comers lists but my local meta is probably different than yours. People around here like running LoN, DoK, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Khorne, Seraphon... etc. So I always try to have enough anti-hero and anti-horde in each list unless I know that I need more threats via deepstrike or something more specialized like that.

Anyway, sorry for being longwinded.. Not much going on at work so I may have put in too much detail due to boredom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

@States I'm not a fan of ratling gun teams (I know how much they can do but I dislike the short range required) or Doomwheels. The ratlings may be somewhat safe against LoN since it's less likely to be sniped. If I planned to use Ratling gun teams, I would most certainly bring at least 2-3 as they're made of paper and you will always want to overcharge them which comes at the risk of death anyway.

When I play again death armies, I ensure I have 2 things:
1. Ranged output which is either in the form of 6-12 Jezzails or 2 WLC's.

2. A way to deal with hordes, which is typically 1-2 Warpfire throwers or 1 + Thanquol who really needs to be behind a screen. Worth noting that Scorch and Plague are great anti-horde spells as well if you want to save some points.

Death relies quite a lot on their heroes being alive so you really need something that can easily take them out and it's why I almost always run 2 WLC's or 9 Jezzails.

You already have 7 casts\unbinds so maelstrom will probably hurt you more than it will help you. I would definitely drop Death Frenzy in favor of Warpgale as casting 2 Warpgales on a single unit (or spread the love against 2 units) will stack and they'll do nothing when combined with shackles. This lets your Vortex do even more damage to them as they struggle to get out of it. Arkhan will be a bit of a struggle considering he has + to cast\unbind so I would cast Vortex last to bait out some unbind attempts. Another good choice is Scorch or Plague for anti-horde spells if you feel you're lacking in that department.

Outside of all that, it really just depends on the matchups and scenarios. I always try to make all-comers lists but my local meta is probably different than yours. People around here like running LoN, DoK, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Khorne, Seraphon... etc. So I always try to have enough anti-hero and anti-horde in each list unless I know that I need more threats via deepstrike or something more specialized like that.

Anyway, sorry for being longwinded.. Not much going on at work so I may have put in too much detail due to boredom.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I still don't have a second WLC (or any jezzails), thats why I put in a doomwheel to "try" to get some more ranged with rend. The maelstrom was to try to annoy all his casters (prince vhordai, arkhan, 2 necros) as I assume they will be at the back and it has a 18+8 casted move range, with a 12" affect area. I didn't think it would hurt me much since it would have to be relitavely close to hit me, and I'd probably try to be a little back. I assume his casters will be far away to be safe.

Maybe get rid of the maelstorm + cp and get a second warpfire, and make thanquol pure melee to challenge the vlozd? Or should I add stormfiends in exhange of?..

also bored at work :D

So... Plague monks with woe staves with both Furnace prayers (+1 attack and re-roll wounds) and the Verminlord corruptor command ability (Re-roll hits) make 7 attacks and average ~6.6 damage apiece on the charge.

Hard to beat 40 plague monks doing an average 264 wounds in one combat phase, and making a second attack for each model that dies if death frenzy went off (with the warpstone token rule and +1 from a gnawhole, it should go off ~80% of the time, and on a 10+ over 50% of the time). 20 buffed plague monks is still enough to kill basically anything they touch, and it's not hard to get a lot of models in with 25mm bases.

With gnawholes, you can teleport alpha strike on the first turn, and with cogs, it's a 6+ to charge instead of an 8+. You might not get the re-rolls to hit from the verminlord, but they probably aren't needed anyway.

Mortal Realm: Ulgu or Hysh
Grey Seer (120)
- General
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact: Liber Bubonicus 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement or Aetherquartz Brooch
40 x Plague Monks (240) - Woe-stave
10 x Plague Monks (70) - Woe-stave
Congregation of Filth (160)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 223

This list has 4 drops; all of the plague monks and the 2nd furnace are part of the battalion; though it may be worth cutting the battalion to bump the small unit of plague monks up to 40.

Edited by Asamu
Grey Seer general

1 hour ago, Asamu said:

So... Plague monks with woe staves with both Furnace prayers (+1 attack and re-roll wounds) and the Verminlord corruptor command ability (Re-roll hits) make 7 attacks and average ~6.6 damage apiece on the charge.

Hard to beat 40 plague monks doing an average 264 wounds in one combat phase, and making a second attack for each model that dies if death frenzy went off (with the warpstone token rule and +1 from a gnawhole, it should go off ~80% of the time, and on a 10+ over 50% of the time). 20 buffed plague monks is still enough to kill basically anything they touch, and it's not hard to get a lot of models in with 25mm bases.

With gnawholes, you can teleport alpha strike on the first turn, and with cogs, it's a 6+ to charge instead of an 8+. You might not get the re-rolls to hit from the verminlord, but they probably aren't needed anyway.

Mortal Realm: Ulgu or Hysh
- General
- Trait: Master of Rot and Ruin 
- Artefact: Liber Bubonicus 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement or Aetherquartz Brooch
Grey Seer (120)
10 x Plague Monks (70) - Woe-stave
Congregation of Filth (160)
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 223

Grey seer must be your general to wield him.

Edited by angrycontra

2 hours ago, States said:

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I still don't have a second WLC (or any jezzails), thats why I put in a doomwheel to "try" to get some more ranged with rend. The maelstrom was to try to annoy all his casters (prince vhordai, arkhan, 2 necros) as I assume they will be at the back and it has a 18+8 casted move range, with a 12" affect area. I didn't think it would hurt me much since it would have to be relitavely close to hit me, and I'd probably try to be a little back. I assume his casters will be far away to be safe.

Maybe get rid of the maelstorm + cp and get a second warpfire, and make thanquol pure melee to challenge the vlozd? Or should I add stormfiends in exhange of?..

also bored at work :D

I really dislike predatory spells in general so maybe I'm biased, but we don't really see it used too much for a reason. It's good to use for armies that don't have many wizards (like IJ, Freeguild, etc) against ones that do have a lot, but when you're facing something with as much magic prowess as you I would fear it coming back towards you and making secondary unbind attempts. It's worth a try to see how it works for you.

I would never make Thanquol pure melee or pure warpfire, personally. Having 4 Brazier attacks with 2 and still having 2 Warpfire throwers for 10-60 man units makes you a threat either way. Remember you still get clubbing blows regardless of what weapons you go with. Like I said, if you want to go Stormfiends, I would have at least a unit of 6 to maximize any buffs. Thanquol is hard to drop from lists for me, but sometimes dropping him in favor of more shooting\combat can be worth it depending on the matchup.

For example, with the upcoming Khorne tome I think our magic will be heavily contested so I'm debating on what I will do with Thanquol in that regard.

Ok gonna try out the 50/50!

Tried a 6x stormfiend build, but would have to give up alot of my fave guys (thanquol, warpseer, greyseer, wlc, wlv, min bl)

So I guess I'm convinced of removing the maelstrom.. would put me at 1930/2000.  70 points of endless spells? (vermintide/pendulum?)

Maybe switch out the ratling for a warpfire, and that way I have 80 left over and get vermintide + pendulum and keep at 2000/2000? What would you suggest?

@States I would say as long as you keep the Vortex + Shackles (or even just the Vortex) you're good to go. Pendulum is always a great choice for a shotgun of MW's. For the same points cost, Vermintide has a lot of zoning potential like the Vortex as people will not want to end their movement near it or potentially take MW's.

Edited by Gwendar

@States I would try dropping the ratling to be honest. Any smart player will target it before it can get in range which is why it's good to have 2-3 of them. More MW's from spells will probably serve you better, assuming you can get them off.

Remember, I would advise you bait out unbind attempts will less important spells. Keep in mind that 1 Vortex can be placed outside of unbind range (the 1st is wholly within 26", the others within 7" of it) so if you can hit a few good units with it then you don't have to worry.