5kaven5lave

I find it hard to get all 6 Rat Ogors into combat, so making the 6 man unit Insanely Rabid largely just gives me ablative wounds until the first one dies, then they get a lot more work done.

I am loving a 6 Rat Ogor unit with Toughened Sinews however. They take sooo much punishment before they drop, and still put out solid damage with the Rabid Crown nearby.

Love the list as you have it right now though, those Giant Rats will be such a nuisance for your frenemy 

• Like 1

Well if we are already talking about games being played, should I

be able to recover (from being sick) in time, I’ll be attending a tournament, with this 1500points list:

of course everything is named, and to be certain that I will be able to choose who goes first, most of the times, all in a one drop battalion.

Allegiance: Skaventide
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line - Triumphs: Indomitable
LEADERS
S’ralok master of Khazundar ( (175)*
Arch-Warlock
- General
- Command Trait: Overseer of Destruction
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey seer sniketrik (140)*
Grey Seer
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
UNITS
Skrallogs backstabbing Backstabbers (390)*
  60 x Clanrats
- Rusty Blade
- 01 x Standard Bearers
- 01 x Standard Bell Ringers
The red Guard (110)*
10 x Stormvermin - Halberd & Shield
The Armourbreaker (65)
1 x Ratling Gun
Death by a thousand shots (65)
1 x Ratling Gun
The Holemaker (65)
1 x Ratling Gun
The Scurry-tunnelers (75)*
1 x Warp-Grinder
The Squigburner (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower
The beard-things menace (70)
1 x Warpfire Thrower
The shadow breed (40)*
6 x Giant Rats
The scurry-fast feasters (40)*
6 x Giant Rats
ARTILLERY
The Zzap-zzap Things-bane (185)*
Warp Lightning Cannon
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
   LEADERS: 2/6
BATTLELINES: 2 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 0/4
ARTILLERY: 1/4
TOTAL: 1490/2000
WOUNDS: 119

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400 REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

I am loving a 6 Rat Ogor unit with Toughened Sinews however. They take sooo much punishment before they drop, and still put out solid damage with the Rabid Crown nearby.

I might try this actually... with the Master Moulder able to heal D3 wounds on the pack too that would be insane. Also the wording of this ability does not exclude 2 Master Moulders healing the same unit :D

This is purely speculative and very silly, but could a pure Eshin force work?

With big hero monsters being so strong in AoS3.0 and there being an easy way for you to give what would be an entire army re-rolls to hit/ wound against them, it certainly feels like there's potential. Plus the sheer amount of movement, redeploy, bodies & dice you could bring would be a bit of a headache to play against, with untold number of assassins popping up very close. Deceivers seem pretty powerful too!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Skrallogs backstabbing Backstabbers (390)*
  60 x Clanrats
- Rusty Blade
- 01 x Standard Bearers
- 01 x Standard Bell Ringers

May I ask why you don't give these Clanrats spears instead of blades? Surely in such large units, volume of attacks is more important than quality? (correct me if I'm wrong, but the first 3 ranks should be able to attack with 2" range?) 

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

This is purely speculative and very silly, but could a pure Eshin force work?

With big hero monsters being so strong in AoS3.0 and there being an easy way for you to give what would be an entire army re-rolls to hit/ wound against them, it certainly feels like there's potential. Plus the sheer amount of movement, redeploy, bodies & dice you could bring would be a bit of a headache to play against, with untold number of assassins popping up very close. Deceivers seem pretty powerful too!

I saw an Honest Wargamer video recently where one of Oz's top Skaven players was running a Clan Eshin list and doing pretty well with it. It was entirely Gutter/Night Runners, a Warpseer, a Deceiver, and a Deathmaster. 

image.png.4fc0bb3b0b9823ae49001c2889ba812e.png

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, LeonBox said:

May I ask why you don't give these Clanrats spears instead of blades? Surely in such large units, volume of attacks is more important than quality? (correct me if I'm wrong, but the first 3 ranks should be able to attack with 2" range?) 

Well there is actually no real reason.

I just typed in the wrong weapon option, and I just didn't bother changing that.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 1

Something that hasnt been addressed yet that Ive seen on online forums and guides.

Hidden weapon teams can hide in a unit and are only revealed in certain circumstances.

This has some implications

1. Hidden weapon teams can be transported along with 1 unit when being transported via a Warp-Grinder.

Uses

- This means that you could transport 30 storm vermin 9" away, if you make the charge, 3 doomflayers could pop out (at the end of the charge phase) that made a charge move. and overcharge with 6 x D6 Hitting on 2's, wounding on 3's -1 rend with 1 damage each (and this is before the stormvermin)

- 60 clanrats with 6 warpfire throwers/ gattling guns. The clanrats are set up in any formation as long as the closest is 9" away. Then in the shooting phase, 6 warpfire throwers are set up 3" closer so they are only 6" away from the enemy unit and flame away. This is a DIY thanqual.

Combine with a Verminlord deceiver with Arcane Tomb so it can cast 2 spells. Flaming weapon and Dreaded Skitterleap, TPing itself within 6" of a terrain feature. Not only will it hurt in combat, but with "Shadowy masters" it can be shot from enemy ranged unit further then 6" away.  

1 hour ago, LeonBox said:

With the Deceiver's -2 to hit: is that still a thing? In 3.0 you can't modify a to-hit roll by more than 1, but I don't see an errata for the Deceiver in Skaven's latest FAQ. 

Not. Sure... but invisible if you are within 6' of terrain is a thing

1 hour ago, LeonBox said:

With the Deceiver's -2 to hit: is that still a thing? In 3.0 you can't modify a to-hit roll by more than 1, but I don't see an errata for the Deceiver in Skaven's latest FAQ. 

You can still be -2 to hit. If your enemy doesn't have any +s to hit it will become -1 when they roll dice.

It's useful to negate All out Attack, Hurricanum etc.

12 minutes ago, Bleepin said:

Yeah, great against any army but lumineth

2 hours ago, Bleepin said:

Something that hasnt been addressed yet that Ive seen on online forums and guides.

Hidden weapon teams can hide in a unit and are only revealed in certain circumstances.

This has some implications

1. Hidden weapon teams can be transported along with 1 unit when being transported via a Warp-Grinder.

Uses

- This means that you could transport 30 storm vermin 9" away, if you make the charge, 3 doomflayers could pop out (at the end of the charge phase) that made a charge move. and overcharge with 6 x D6 Hitting on 2's, wounding on 3's -1 rend with 1 damage each (and this is before the stormvermin)

- 60 clanrats with 6 warpfire throwers/ gattling guns. The clanrats are set up in any formation as long as the closest is 9" away. Then in the shooting phase, 6 warpfire throwers are set up 3" closer so they are only 6" away from the enemy unit and flame away. This is a DIY thanqual.

Combine with a Verminlord deceiver with Arcane Tomb so it can cast 2 spells. Flaming weapon and Dreaded Skitterleap, TPing itself within 6" of a terrain feature. Not only will it hurt in combat, but with "Shadowy masters" it can be shot from enemy ranged unit further then 6" away.  

Well I’m not sure if the doomflayers will be getting the +1 to the hit role for having charged, considering that it wasn’t them.

But a clarification from gw about the hidden weapon teams rule would be nice, considering that it’s current wording is written in a way where a weapon team hidden in a unit would not count as a drop.

(It would be nice to know, if that was intended ore just badly worded.

Yet I wouldn’t mind it staying that way)

17 minutes ago, Bleepin said:

With any warscroll ability or command trait I always ask myself: "can LRL just straight-up ignore this?" and since they usually have one unit or another than can, that ability/trait's value immediately plummets for me

36 minutes ago, LeonBox said:

With any warscroll ability or command trait I always ask myself: "can LRL just straight-up ignore this?" and since they usually have one unit or another than can, that ability/trait's value immediately plummets for me

Lumineth is an army that basically breaks every rule in the game.

thankfully we skaven do have some legal ways of destroying them pretty easily.

but that isn’t the point.

I do think, that the command trait is a bit lackluster against any lumineth player, yet it works amazingly against any seraphon, tzeentch (shooting heavy lists) and kharadron overlords especially.

Eshin currently, I personally believe, plays the game in a controlling way pretty great.

with the 2d6 pre move from nightrunners you are able to either screen of any shooting units from harming your own army or to just keep them in their deployment zone for a turn.

but when it comes down to the combat prowess, you’re basically going to have like non.

Certainly, if your lucky your deceiver may be able to backstab-kill a few smaller heroes, maybe even one of the bigger ones, if your not rolling to badly, but that is mostly it.

your just going to control the board, better then most armies, for a while

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Lumineth is an army that basically breaks every rule in the game.

thankfully we skaven do have some legal way of destroying them pretty easy.

but that isn’t the point.

I do think, that the command trait is a bit lackluster against any lumineth player, yet it works amazingly against any seraphon, tzeentch (shooting heavy lists) and kharadron overlords especially.

Eshin currently, I personally believe, plays the game in a controlling way pretty great.

with the 2d6 pre move from nightrunners you are able to either screen of any shooting units from harming your own army or to just keep them in their deployment zone for a turn.

but when it comes down to the combat prowess, you basically going to have like non.

Certainly, if your lucky your deceiver may be able to backstab-kill a few smaller heroes, maybe even one of the bigger ones, if your not rolling to badly, but that is mostly it.

your just going to control the board, better then most armies, for a while

All great points. I don't mind admitting that I despise LRL for all their OTT special rules, abilities, exceptions etc. High Elves always have been and continue to be GW's pet faction, and they are my regular opponent's favourite army so I run into them constantly

If I was in a bigger meta and I faced a bigger variety of opponents, the Eshin command trait would absolutely be worth it. However, knowing I am facing LRL 3/4 games, it's largely pointless for me. 

That said, your Eshin-heavy list sounds interesting and they've historically been my favourite clan, so I'd be eager to try out an Eshin mono-clan list. Deceivers also seem fantastic, second only to Warpseers in terms of utility. 

Eshin feel a little bit like the previous incarnation of Scourge Privateers. They throw ungodly amounts of dice from their chaff while some faster units deal mortals/ rend against the bigger stuff.

Eshin lean into board Control a lot more but I think it's insanely flexible. Throw enough dice with rerolls at something and it's bound to hurt eventually. I suppose it falls down a bit when not targetting the heroes, but they're usually so integral that killing them helps a win, plus there's multiple ways to suddenly gotcha an exposed one! 

• Like 1

So.... the new Warhammer app is out in Beta today. At first glance it looks good. I can see all armies battletomes and traits/artefacts etc.. I'm assuming this is for the purposes of Beta testing only?

The list building looks good but i tried to build my list for this Friday and it wouldn't let me assign artefacts other than universal ones to my Master Moulder. And if i made my MM a general he was allowed to take the Cunning command trait and others that should be restricted to other clans.

I've logged my feedback with GW but wondered if anyone else had found any "funnies" yet ?

If it's like 40k, then pretty much everything from 2nd edition will be available for free until it gets an updated book.

Looking at the Stormcast, it's only very small faction specific things not available to read in-app without a code (artefacts, spells etc) but you can still assign them.

Warscrolls are all entirely free though, as are points, so it's a better, more detailed warsscroll builder - hooray!

• Thanks 1

Now I don't see this list as being competitive in the slightest, more of a thought experiment than anything else, but I wanted to create an immovable tarpit and this is what I came up with. Now it's not immovable but rather it has such a strong marshmallow defense that it is really gonna ask the dps check question.

I can't figure out how to do spoilers with my phone so I will just describe it rather than pasting the whole thing in.

Essentially take 6 Master Moulders with the battalions to get two more artifacts (not really essential) and take Foulhide, Amulet, and Seed of rebirth.

Command trait for the General: Horde Master

3 min units Giant Rats

Then the rest is swarms of rats with as much reinforcements as you can!

Of course you deal as much damage as a goblin with a pool noodle but in ideal circumstances (no good player should ever give this to you) you are looking at quite the massive healing.

6 Master Moulders healing d3 wounds to the rat swarms in your hero phase

1 Master Moulder healing d3 in your hero phase due to artifact

1 Master Moulder healing due to heroic recovery each hero phase

17 units of Rat Swarms bringing back one model with 4 wounds in your hero phase

1 destroyed unit brought back on a 4+ EVERY PHASE

Now like I said nobody should ever spread their damage out to give you max healing but for kicks and giggles I wanted to see what max healing would be.

MM healing swarms 6x3=18

Artifact 1x3=3

Heroic Recovery 2x3=6

Rat swarm model replacement 17x4=68

(This last one really is a stretch but run with it as a thought experiment)

Unleash More-More Beasts

Reinforced Swarm=16 wounds

Enemy Hero phase, Enemy Shooting Phase, Enemy Combat Phase, My Charge Phase, My Combat phase=5 phases (without really wonky stuff like fighting in the enemy charge or my shooting phase)

16x5=80

18+3+6+68+80=175 max wounds healed/brought back per battle round

That is more healing than many/most armies have in their entire list! Once again I recognize the pool noodle damage and that no sane opponent will ever give you this chance nor will the dice gods ever be this kind but still this kinda healing is insane! And this isn't taking into account Rally because I don't usually find it worthwhile except for rare occasions. I also realized that there is some other tweaking that can be done to increase it further (reinforce the giant rats rather than the swarms and unleash the beasts with the rats)

Edit: tweaking for max healing

Remove three Master Moulders, reinforce the Giant Rats instead of rat swarms, use the points saved into more swarms, 35 more wounds healed/replaced per round!!!

Edited by SaucyRatBear
Added info, no double post
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 1:13 AM, SaucyRatBear said:

Now I don't see this list as being competitive in the slightest, more of a thought experiment than anything else, but I wanted to create an immovable tarpit and this is what I came up with. Now it's not immovable but rather it has such a strong marshmallow defense that it is really gonna ask the dps check question.

I can't figure out how to do spoilers with my phone so I will just describe it rather than pasting the whole thing in.

Essentially take 6 Master Moulders with the battalions to get two more artifacts (not really essential) and take Foulhide, Amulet, and Seed of rebirth.

Command trait for the General: Horde Master

3 min units Giant Rats

Then the rest is swarms of rats with as much reinforcements as you can!

Of course you deal as much damage as a goblin with a pool noodle but in ideal circumstances (no good player should ever give this to you) you are looking at quite the massive healing.

6 Master Moulders healing d3 wounds to the rat swarms in your hero phase

1 Master Moulder healing d3 in your hero phase due to artifact

1 Master Moulder healing due to heroic recovery each hero phase

17 units of Rat Swarms bringing back one model with 4 wounds in your hero phase

1 destroyed unit brought back on a 4+ EVERY PHASE

Now like I said nobody should ever spread their damage out to give you max healing but for kicks and giggles I wanted to see what max healing would be.

MM healing swarms 6x3=18

Artifact 1x3=3

Heroic Recovery 2x3=6

Rat swarm model replacement 17x4=68

(This last one really is a stretch but run with it as a thought experiment)

Unleash More-More Beasts

Reinforced Swarm=16 wounds

Enemy Hero phase, Enemy Shooting Phase, Enemy Combat Phase, My Charge Phase, My Combat phase=5 phases (without really wonky stuff like fighting in the enemy charge or my shooting phase)

16x5=80

18+3+6+68+80=175 max wounds healed/brought back per battle round

That is more healing than many/most armies have in their entire list! Once again I recognize the pool noodle damage and that no sane opponent will ever give you this chance nor will the dice gods ever be this kind but still this kinda healing is insane! And this isn't taking into account Rally because I don't usually find it worthwhile except for rare occasions. I also realized that there is some other tweaking that can be done to increase it further (reinforce the giant rats rather than the swarms and unleash the beasts with the rats)

Edit: tweaking for max healing

Remove three Master Moulders, reinforce the Giant Rats instead of rat swarms, use the points saved into more swarms, 35 more wounds healed/replaced per round!!!

Who has that many rat swarms?!? Has anyone done something like this on TTS yet? 

5 minutes ago, Chase said:

Does Protection of the Horned Rat stack with either Verminous Valor or Amulet of Destiny?

I was under the impression that this question was settled with the FAQ of the FAQ, but there's now apparently an argument over Verminous Valour and whether or not it counts as a ward. As for the Amulet of Destiny, I believe that unambiguously does not stack with Protection of the Horned Rat. 

I was under the impression that it works similar to the bodyguard rule but I may be horribly wrong because of specific wording. My understanding is that you can have both but the bodyguard/Verminous Valor goes first and sends wounds to the minions then the ward goes after. There are units like the Phoenix peeps in Cities of Sigmar that do exactly that but they bring a different question in the fact that the minions doing the bodyguard also have ward saves, do they get to ward save vs the wounds taken from bodyguarding?