5kaven5lave

2 hours ago, Ahriman said:

After a few games trying out Master Moulders and Packmasters, I agree there is little use in the Packmasters for my Moulder army - unless you can't spare the 40pts.

The main reason is their prized creation rule, getting to add D3 wounds to a rat ogos or HPA is cool, but the reroll 1s is deadly.

And they do have a slightly extended aura, but I've got 3 Master Moulders around the board, so things are almost always covered.

Good to know. Kinda forgot about Prized Creations while list building haha. Nice to see some other Moulder players out there! I am trying to think of a viable list that uses all 160 of my giant rats. They still seem decent, just not as brutal as they used to be. With Prized Creations and the healing by the Master Moulders the Rat Ogors seem a bit more reliable

4 hours ago, Ahriman said:

After a few games trying out Master Moulders and Packmasters, I agree there is little use in the Packmasters for my Moulder army - unless you can't spare the 40pts

I would agree - although 2 HPA creates a nice 60 pt vacuum in a lot of my lists! Interesting that you use 5x10 rats, don’t you miss the horde (and horde bonuses) for 40? 

I spent a lot of time previously getting stormfiends into my moulder lists, because of packmaster + shock gauntlets. But now I can’t see the use of stormfiends without the Skryre buffs, so am turning back to HPAs and rat ogres. Have played a couple of games with Moulder Vanguard at the moment, and wondering for 2k whether to go heavy on rats or rat ogors, or mix, since 40 rats are interchangeable with 4 rat ogors, pointswise.

Currently:

Master moulder (rabid crown, horde master)

40 giant rats

4 rat ogors

2 x HPA

3 packmasters.

For 2k I could just double this, replacing 2x3 packmasters with a master moulder, but I think I would prefer more returnable rat ogor packs than more HPAs, and flesh menagerie perhaps becomes worth it at 2k for the redundancy, although it is disappointing it does little more (besides no. of drops, extra artifact of course) than a single command ability can do.

Guys, i have 120 monk, 2 furnace, a verminlord corruptor, a bell, 3 plagclaw, a spire of dawn box and a carrion empire box. What do you suggest me to buy for mixed skaven army? How many clan rats should i play? And what i can take to improve the army?

Edited by Axter

Im am thinking of picking up a Pestilence Start Collecting box to run this 1000pt list. It will get me a Grey Seer, WLC and potentially 10 Acolytes.

Arch-Warlock (160)
Grey Seer (120) - General
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120) (will convert from Plague Monks)
Doomwheel (160)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
TOTAL: 1000

eventually I will use my Clawlord +  x20 Stormvermin and buy x40 Clan Rats but for now I was thinking of trying out a Skryre army.

EDIT: I am thinking of getting Carrion Empire and can then build this 1500 point army

Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
Doomwheel (160)
TOTAL: 1480

or

Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200) - General
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
Doomwheel (160)
TOTAL: 1440

EDIT:

Should I post this in the Skryre thread? Or is this the main thread now?

Edited by Orchid89

2 hours ago, Axter said:

Guys, i have 120 monk, 2 furnace, a verminlord corruptor, a bell, 3 plagclaw, a spire of dawn box and a carrion empire box. What do you suggest me to buy for mixed skaven army? How many clan rats should i play? And what i can take to improve the army?

Would say you have a good basis already. You have a strong pestilens list, the beginnings of a Skryre list, and a chunk of clanrats. If you want to play mixed skaventide, you will need more battleline, so maybe some stormvermin? And another block of clanrats.

After that, some more rat ogors to bulk out the 2 from spire of dawn and a hellpit abomination will give you some more useful options.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

1 minute ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Would say you have a good basis already. You have a strong pestilens list, the beginnings of a Skryre list, and a chunk of clanrats. If you want to play mixed skaventide, you will need more battleline, so maybe some stormvermin? And another block of clanrats.

I was thinking to buy 40 more clan rats (so i'll have the 3 battle line), and maybe a verminlord building it like  a warpseer (it seems to be the more usefull, no?), but then i was thinking on how to play, wich list. 60 clan rats (20-20-20) to protect 2 units of monks (40-40), 1 or 2 unit of stormiends with an arch warlok to buff them (i converted a skitari in arch-warlok), the verminlord warpseer (or any one i will build) and i still do not know what else would be good...

What can i put to make the list more viable and competitive?

18 minutes ago, Axter said:

I was thinking to buy 40 more clan rats (so i'll have the 3 battle line), and maybe a verminlord building it like  a warpseer (it seems to be the more usefull, no?), but then i was thinking on how to play, wich list. 60 clan rats (20-20-20) to protect 2 units of monks (40-40), 1 or 2 unit of stormiends with an arch warlok to buff them (i converted a skitari in arch-warlok), the verminlord warpseer (or any one i will build) and i still do not know what else would be good...

To be honest, you have a viable and competitive pestilens list right there - I’d simply add a plague priest on foot, a foulrain contagion battalion, and run:

verminlord corruptor, 2 furnaces, 1 plague priest, 2x40 plaguemonks, 1x 30 plaguemonks, 3 plagueclaw, foulrain contagion. 1980pts. 

Run 2 units of monks with a furnace in them, the third with the corruptor. Foot priest back with the catapaults. Think that’s better than trying to screen your monks with clanrats in a mixed list, tbh. 

In a mixed list, I’d start with 2 x 40 clanrats, and at least 20 stormvermin. Then add whatever toys you like from there.

*edit* adjusted as I messed up the points.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

4 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Always wanted to try wolf rats, how do you like them/ what do you do with them? Why the the smaller grouping of giant rats?

I'll preface this by saying I'm a narrative player really, and have never built super (or even close to!) optimised lists.

The Wolf Rats I love largely due to their speed. I use them to flank quickly and tie up artillery and shooting units, or kill a lonely wizard if possible. The immunity to battleshock is a god send for taking that return damage when out on their own.

As for the giant rats (@Baron Wastelands) i tried the large units of giant rats when i first started the army, and even with all their buffs found them underwhelming. The footprint of the unit was huge as well and I found they could get in the way of my heavier hitting units.

But with the units of 10 I find they're perfect for screening my Rat Ogors from charges, I can spread them out a lot more to prevent deepstrike shenanigans, and leave them on various objectives. 

The only time they get in combat is charging in with the Rat Ogors, at the opposite end of a unit, to restrict units pilling in and hurting the Ogors.

Hope that makes sense!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

To be honest, you have a viable and competitive pestilens list right there - I’d simply add a plague priest on foot, a foulrain contagion battalion, and run:

verminlord corruptor, 2 furnaces, 1 plague priest, 2x40 plaguemonks, 1x 30 plaguemonks, 3 plagueclaw, foulrain contagion. 1980pts. 

Run 2 units of monks with a furnace in them, the third with the corruptor. Foot priest back with the catapaults. Think that’s better than trying to screen your monks with clanrats in a mixed list, tbh. 

In a mixed list, I’d start with 2 x 40 clanrats, and at least 20 stormvermin. Then add whatever toys you like from there.

*edit* adjusted as I messed up the points.

I have like 2 priest on foot so no problem. The think is i feel that mixed army seems stronger then mono-clan.. Pestilens really soffer to be charged, and i think that a unit of buffed stormfiends shoot better then plagueclaws (buffed with +1 damage and spell to reroll hit and wound). I'm also trying to convert some jezzails (just work in progress for now). A verminlord warpseer help with battleshock  26 from him (more relaible then furnace) and keep your number of command point up, while still being pretty good in combat with reroll save, and his magic does d6 mortal and halves enemy charge. Clan rats cover monks and, if they stay alive, can cover objective while monks kill most of units and stormfiends snipe out the problem. With masterclan magic still able to give buff to attack when  a model die to the monks. Maybe a furnace to add 1 attack to monks.

I have to make an order tomorrow and i'm really confuse on what to take

First of all: hello all,  this was my first game with skaven including the new battletome and rules.

A quick overview of the battle: Skaven Skryre vs Tomb Kings.

List: (1750pt)

-Thanqoul and boneripper  - General - 2 warpfire/2 braziers - spell: wargale      
-Warlock engineer - artifact vigordust injector - spell: more more warp power!
-5 acolytes - battleline
-5 acolytes - battleline
-6 stormfiends - battleline - 2 rattlings/2 gascloud/2 doomflayer
-1 Warplightning cannon
-1 Doomwheel
-1 Rattling team
-1 Warpfire team
 endless spells:
-soulsnare shackles
-warp lightning vortex

I started the battleround and failed to put down soulsnare shackles (dispelled entire game mehhh) but could get my WL vortex in the game. I just want to say how insane this spell is, i complety wrecked his movement and ability to get closer the first turns becouse he could not run/fly and got some nice mortal wounds going from it aswell. (shame death has so many negates tho) warplighting  cannon was able to shoot some mortals with 12 dice but got 3 damage in return for overcharging.  
The tomb kings did not had allot to do this round couse of the vortex,  My engineer got some damage couse of an artifact but overal it was just shoots from my side.
When he finaly came closer i had already taken 3 objectives (of the 4) with run 6 from thanquols command abilty , he got rid of acolytes as they are pretty weak anyway but just fillers for battleline but once i started to fire rattlings the game was overr pretty fast. The 2 damage char. on 2x rattling stormfiends +vigurdust and a rattling weapon team did realy big damage. He charged and removed my WL cannon before i could fire it the second time but all was good since i got rid of is arkhan pretty fast. Also when i charged in with thanqoul and stormfiends i had loads of damage to do with both (flayers /brazers realy got some nice dmg off).
Warpfire team was asboluty insane doing 40 mortal wounds to his skeleton horde whiping it out in 1 turn , even with his negates. I think he needed to learn the hard way how the warpfire team works now.  The game practicly ended in turn 3 clipping him down and destroying both his big heroes arkhan and steed

Losses i had sufferd in the end, 2 stormfiends (gascloud), WL cannon, 5 acolytes, Rattling team. I was lucky on the turn roll tho!

So far what i think:

-Gascloud stormfiends are absolute not worth there cost unless you buff them with +hit/+wound or rerolls
-A block of 6 stormfiends is actualy realy good, flayers are realy good with charge +2/+3 , rattlings are insane if you buff them with a spark from a hero
-Vortex + Shackles is gonna ''be a thing'' especially if you have allot of shooting
-Warfire team is tricky but insane if you can get it in close range of hordes
-Realy fun how everything works with luck, big shots but damage on yourself, so think twice if you can possibly lose unit or not
-1 engineer was realy realy tricky, i got lucky he survived but that could make or break a game for you if you miss out buffs from sparks
-Thankquol is realy badass now with his spells and negates, makes him realy desirable if you wanna get that warp lightning vortex off with 3 dices!
-I used 1 gnawhole for +1casting in the  start (make sure you park your casters next to it in the start couse if you move there you got a chance to get mortal wounds!) 
-Wondering if stacking the gnawholes for more casting works? if so that might be realy good.

Working on 120 clanrats now to get painted to see what more i can do with other units of moulder and masterclan in a game.

IMG-20190223-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190223-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20190223-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20190223-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20190223-WA0020 (2).jpeg

Edited by Jonko
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Orchid89 said:

Im am thinking of picking up a Pestilence Start Collecting box to run this 1000pt list. It will get me a Grey Seer, WLC and potentially 10 Acolytes.

Arch-Warlock (160)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120) (will convert from Plague Monks)
Doomwheel (160)
TOTAL: 1000

eventually I will use my Clawlord +  x20 Stormvermin and buy x40 Clan Rats but for now I was thinking of trying out a Skryre army.

EDIT: I am thinking of getting Carrion Empire and can then build this 1500 point army

Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
Doomwheel (160)
TOTAL: 1480

or

Arch-Warlock (160)
Warlock Bombardier (100)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200) - General
3 x Stormfiends (260)
3 x Stormfiends (260)
10 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
Doomwheel (160)
TOTAL: 1440

EDIT:

Should I post this in the Skryre thread? Or is this the main thread now?

Yikes, I did a bit of looking and I thought Acolyte conversions were easier. :(

I hope someone starts selling 3D printed conversion bits!

Hey everyone, currently playing a small tourney (will probably only get 2/3 games in) and after playing the first game against DoK let me apologize for saying the WLV isn't worth it without shackles/warpgale. 

They're always worth it. Always. 

I'll post up some pictures/quick batreps later tonight if I can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orchid89 said:

Yikes, I did a bit of looking and I thought Acolyte conversions were easier. :(

I hope someone starts selling 3D printed conversion bits!

Look up on the skryre topic. I did mine basically by sticking orbs and 40k backpacks onplague monks... Some did theirs with blood bowl teams with no or few conversion. I think its quite easy once you can grab the bits

15 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Hey everyone, currently playing a small tourney (will probably only get 2/3 games in) and after playing the first game against DoK let me apologize for saying the WLV isn't worth it without shackles/warpgale. 

They're always worth it. Always. 

I'll post up some pictures/quick batreps later tonight if I can. 

You mean warpgnaw verminlord?

29 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Nah, he's a definite "never bring" nowadays. The Warp-Lightning Vortex. 

I'm sad to know it becouse i have one warpgnaw :(

But still happy becouse i also have a warp-lighning vortex xD

Is it so strong? Just d3 MW anyway

Edited by Axter

6 minutes ago, Axter said:

I'm sad to know it becouse i have one warpgnaw :(

But still happy becouse i also have a warp-lighning vortex xD

Is it so strong? Just d3 MW anyway

It can be D6 if you roll a 6. It’s a great way to control space with that massive range (if you can cast it, I failed for 3 consecutive rounds in my latest game :/) because no one will want to go near the objective you put it on. I find shackles more challenging because it’s within 12” rather than 26” for the WLV, you need another caster to be closer or be casting it at short range yourself, but as I say the range is a big strength. 

I am wondering if there's a way to exploit the Lightning Vortex with allies for other armies too.  I think the only way for Skaven to be allies for others is the Corruptor (since he's Nurgle).  He could cast the WLV, and then other casters could do the Shackles or whatever else.  Generic Chaos allegiance could work too maybe?  The Corruptor in any army with the Dimensional Blade would be nasty with 10 attacks at Rend-3.  

I digress.

Can a non-Skaven allegiance army take Skaven Endless Spells?  Just checking, similar question for my Beasts of Chaos (like if an allied Tzaangor Shaman wants to make my Legion of Azgorh strike before their enemies by using the Wildfire Taurus).

Edited by Lord Krungharr

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I am wondering if there's a way to exploit the Lightning Vortex with allies for other armies too.  I think the only way for Skaven to be allies for others is the Corruptor (since he's Nurgle).  He could cast the WLV, and then other casters could do the Shackles or whatever else.  Generic Chaos allegiance could work too maybe?  The Corruptor in any army with the Dimensional Blade would be nasty with 10 attacks at Rend-3.  

I digress.

Can a non-Skaven allegiance army take Skaven Endless Spells?  Just checking, similar question for my Beasts of Chaos (like if an allied Tzaangor Shaman wants to make my Legion of Azgorh strike before their enemies by using the Wildfire Taurus).

Their tied to the keywords not the allegiance abilities. So yes, ally your brayherd shaman, he has BEAST OF CHAOS WIZARD so can cast Taurus in your chaos dwarf army. There might be exceptions but the limitation is set after the casting roll on the spells and only reference keywords not allegiances as far as I know. 

Edited by Kramer

6 hours ago, Axter said:

Go for the clanrats cause you’ll need them. And the warp lighting cannon is also great in any list.