5kaven5lave

1 minute ago, Baron Wastelands said:

1) yep, best fit is a deathmaster (the new assassin) but the good news is you now have 2

2) I’m using mine as a master moulder, but you could also use him as one of 3 packmasters, as 1 in 3 can have a things-catcher.

4) yet they did. Wondering about cutting mine up and making acolytes out of them, as others have suggested.

Thank you for all of the info!  I really appreciate it!

SG

Honestly I'd keep the wind mortar for the future. It would almost be a no-brainer for gw to release a new weapon team kit with all 4 weapon choices. The only reason the Mortar is gone now is that GW don't currently make one as a model and the Battletome is "no model no rules" policy at present. 

8 minutes ago, ServiceGames said:

1) I have I believe two Deathrunners that came with Silver Tower.  Can I use those models in a Skaven army with the new Battletome?

2) I bought the Spire of Dawn box (happened to find it at an FLGS long after it had been discontinued by GW), and it comes with one Packmaster that could be used a Leader by itself.  It came with a Trident (lower left in the attached picture.  Where did that one end up?

3) I kinda figured that the Warlord had become the Clawlord based on the look of the model, but thank you for confirming

4) The Poison Wind Mortar Team is the only one that has me scratching my head.  With the exception of a Plagueclaw/Warp Lightning Cannon, all of my Skaven models come from the Spire of Dawn box which didn't come out *that* long ago.  I find it odd that they would just drop this model after releasing it in a box set shortly over two years ago (while AoS 1 was already alive and kicking). 

SG

1 the model currently doesn’t have any rules (and probably won’t have them ever again)

but you should be able to play them as deathmasters.

2. the packmasters back in fantasy and in aos 1st editions had the weapon option known as shock prodder..something.

But he still is a very good lucking model, and since you can have a master moulder with either a warpstone lash or a thing catcher which looks similar to the trident, I’d just play him as the Master Moulder.

4well it is very sad that they have discontinued one of the newest models from the skaven range, but since they don’t really produce it anymore and well probably are uninterested in bringing it back we won’t be seeing it for a while or even ever.

although they’re still great options for having plastic acolytes instead of paying 10dollars per model.

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Honestly I'd keep the wind mortar for the future. It would almost be a no-brainer for gw to release a new weapon team kit with all 4 weapon choices. The only reason the Mortar is gone now is that GW don't currently make one as a model and the Battletome is "no model no rules" policy at present. 

I just don’t think they’ll do it. Why would they introduce a multi kit for 4 weapon teams now they only have rules for 3? I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think once gone, gone for good.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

I just don’t think they’ll do it. Why would they introduce a multi kit for 4 weapon teams now they only have rules for 3? I’d be happy to be wrong, but I think once gone, gone for good.

Because its an iconic model that technically they have invested in recently. Furthermore if its an all-in-one kit then the mortar need only a couple of parts on the sprue to be functional. Of course it could go away - the stormvermine  technically still have it to use. 

• Like 1

Someone shared a neat combo on Facebook and I thought of resharing it here.
Use Thanquol's command ability on other masterclan heroes. Let's say on verminlord warpseer, grey seer, and verminlord warbringer.

You then have 4 masterclan heroes using command abilities.

The allegiance ability for masterclan says that each time a masterclan hero *uses* a command ability, you can get one back on a 5+.

That is 4d6 dice per turn so you are almost guaranteed to get one back. If you get several back I suppose you could even chain them for some infinite CP spam! But that may be borderline...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Because its an iconic model that technically they have invested in recently. Furthermore if its an all-in-one kit then the mortar need only a couple of parts on the sprue to be functional. Of course it could go away - the stormvermine  technically still have it to use. 

I'm just not sure if an "all in one" kit is really super viable/practical
different weapons
different heads
different backpacks
Really only the main body would be the same, and that's less than half the plastic. And since it's skaven, these are probably single pieces of plastic. so you have what, 2 bits in common with each kit? You're going to have a ton of people with weapon team heads/arms/weapons glued to lumps of greenstuff... 

I think the options probably are:
Single weapon teams in blister packs (like heroes). 
A small box with 1-3 quarter sprues that builds a few weapon teams. does it build a few of the same or a mix? Who knows.  Originally released as part of a box set, but hopefully this time on a seperate small sprue to prevent the IoB problems? 

@sorokyl GW can certainly make weapon teams in a single pack. sure the designs would change a little, but they are all four very similar in their overall approach to design in that one rat is holding the weapon and the other is loading/holding an ammo pack. Heck they made Vemonthropes and Zoanthropes into the same kit with only a few parts difference between them.

I'd see it as a very viable way for GW to make the unit then I'd suspect they'd put two or three of those sprues into the same box. The price would go up as you'd be buying a set not one at a time, but GW would take 4 listings and turn them into 1. That's far more cost effective for a new mould for them than making two or three or even four new plastic moulds. 

4 minutes ago, Num said:

Someone shared a neat combo on Facebook and I thought of resharing it here.
Use Thanquol's command ability on other masterclan heroes. Let's say on verminlord warpseer, grey seer, and verminlord warbringer.

You then have 4 masterclan heroes using command abilities.

The allegiance ability for masterclan says that each time a masterclan hero *uses* a command ability, you can get one back on a 5+.

That is 4d6 dice per turn so you are almost guaranteed to get one back. If you get several back I suppose you could even chain them for some infinite CP spam! But that may be borderline...

Hmm.. core rules don't specify limitations on the 3 command abilities to once per turn, and neither does Thanquol's CA. 

Where is the rules text that prevents the "one model" from Thaquols command ability from using "at the double" on each model running that turn?  Also, while I think you could technically use inspiring presense on the same unit over and over (because it does not cause rerolls) I think that would be really bad exploitation. 

I think this will be in the first FAQ. change text to only allow 1 use of each command ability.  

10 hours ago, wander said:

If you want fluffy, I'd say to maybe either pick a single Great Clan and do something with them (gives you extra Battleline options too for keeping things thematic) or think of the alliances going behind your army to make it what it is between the clans.

There's a really nice example of the fluff behind this and how it can effect an army composition in the Skaven tome itself on p.23 with the fluff describing the army of Lord Hakkrit of the Clans Verminus' Clan Fang.

It's a whole Rube Goldberg machine of Skaven allying so they can stab another in the back and then take power to stab their ally in the back too, whilst the others are only forming an alliance to later do a backstab and get power themselves too.

That sounds so cool, thanks. 

11 hours ago, Overread said:

Clanrats - lots of clanrats. 

Honestly I would say if you can get hold of it Carrion Empire is a good start - even if you only get the Skaven half on ebay or in a trade the price is well worth it as you get a core of big powerful mechanical based units for a very cheap price. You get the iconic Doomwheel and lightning gun as well as the powerful stormfiends and warlock with a rocket gun. One set is good, two sets builds you a very solid core. 

After that its almost your choice really; Skaven have a very nice Battletome now with a lot of fluffy choices depending on what way you want to go. You can go for a very monster heavy list with Moulder or Verminus; you can go all plague pox and boils with Pestilence, you can go full technorats with Skyre and you can go all mixed up together. 

Carrion empire is great for the skyre stuff and techno side of things (and its in limited production and already selling out so those discounts are vanishing fast); whilst pestilence has the Getting Started boxed set. A set which is also good for others because the plague furnace also doubles as the screaming bell model and the plague catapult doubles as the warplightning gun. With those two alone the plague rats within are basically nearly free so always a good set to grab. 

So what kind of fluffy fun list are you after?

I really like the idea of all the clans joining together under a Grey Seer.  Something with variety rather than spamming lots of units (I know clan rats are unavoidable). 

• Like 1

All rats is a great idea and very Skaven! 

What you might find early on is that its easier to focus on one group and build up from there. Partly because you've got Carrion Empire (some stock still around and if not ebay has quite a few sets on reselling for a good heavy discount price) and the Getting started box. Those give you Skyre and Pestilens cores right out of the box; whilst not forgetting you can also build the Screaming Bell from the getting started set. 

Now I'm aware those two options don't actually have any clan rats in them, however you do get a very solid selection of toys to pick from to form your combined arms army. Throw in a Seer; add some boxes of clan rats; perhaps some weapon teams etc... you can really build up as you wish from there. 

Here's my first army for Skaven, Clan Eshin (from the realm of Ulgu) but with a Masterclan General, because we can!

200 Screaming Bell (general, master of magic trait)

300 Verminlord Deceiver

100 Deathmaster with fighting claws (blade of folded shadows; Ulgu relic)

100 Deathmaster with weeping blades (warpweeper stars)

800 4x20 Gutter Runners

160 2x10 Night Runners

160 Slinktalon battalion

40 Vermintide endless spell

40 Bell of Doom endless spell

40 Geminids endless spell

40 Aethervoid Pendulum endless spell

I am eager to try out the sneaky tricks with these guys.  I really like the movement options, outflanking or teleporting or skitterleaping.  Also if there's some other alpha strike deepstrike army (like Stormcast, ugh how I got Stormcasted last weekend!) the Gutter Runners can all be off the table  if needed to survive.   A good chance of choosing to go first with only 4 drops.  Enemy heroes will not be safe with this army!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Thats what people probably said about CSM Havocs becoming plastic 😜

GW acts in mysterious ways.

I know they're really, really designer-led, and that helps them make absolutely beautiful models, buuuuut I think they could stand to maybe sometimes use the, 'hmmm, what have we been selling for two decades? Let's replace that thing with something new!" method instead of the, "Let's make another Space Marine!" method. Just... occasionally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I know they're really, really designer-led, and that helps them make absolutely beautiful models, buuuuut I think they could stand to maybe sometimes use the, 'hmmm, what have we been selling for two decades? Let's replace that thing with something new!" method instead of the, "Let's make another Space Marine!" method. Just... occasionally.

I think they are trying that - don't forget Chaos are getting a LOT of big hints and releases next for 40K. There are some glaring oddities like Eldar - however you'd also think that GW would want to get rid of finecast superfast. I put part of it down to design issues and another down to cashflow when the moulds cost tens to a hundred thousand each. Though there are some that appear totally no-brainers that its surprising we don't have them yet. 

56 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Don’t be silly! 😂

Someone needs to make this happen:

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Lord Skreech Verminking (300)
- General
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
Verminlord Deceiver (300)
Verminlord Warbringer (260)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 180

• Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

That’s brilliant! 

Such a shame it’s not possible to bring one battleline sqaud of each clan to match. 

6 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Leaders
- General

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear

Oh god, all those deamonic beeing plus myself. 

Which foe could possibly survive such brilliant horrors.

edit: just noticed that you can’t have 5Verminlords in a 2000p army😭😭

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Sad 1

I was thinking about such a list the other day and stopped because all vermilord were "MONSTER". I was thinking of limitation of a sort , and I gave up. But after some verifications, it was my confusion. They are MONSTER, but not BEHEMOTH. You can add all the vermilords in the  HEROS slot.

So, all list with several of them can be taken. Many variations are available as some of them are not the best in slot. You can for example put Tanqhol in place of deceiver and leave one of clanrat to 20 rats

Here a variation for fun:

Leaders
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
3 x Stormfiends (260)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Wounds: 147

Edited by GeneralZero

55 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I was thinking about such a list the other day and stopped because all vermilord were "MONSTER". I was thinking of limitation of a sort , and I gave up. But after some verifications, it was my confusion. They are MONSTER, but not BEHEMOTH. You can add all the vermilords in the  HEROS slot.

I’m sorry for telling you this but, the behemoth isn’t a keyword just a battlefield role and can be found at the last page of the battletome.

and sadly all of the verminlords have the battlfield role that hinders us in taking 5.

still in a well not really restricted just for fun pmatched play game  with your friends, I think this list could definitely be amusing to play.DA0CF096-B724-412C-947B-F65D2D2ACA0B.png.9eb7f0e53c51e4a46d55140a327b7da0.png

Edited by Skreech Verminking

Ah, never mind. How about this for a fluffy variant: Grey Seer and his retinue of albino Stormfiends bricks it when instead of summoning one Verminlord he gets 4!!

Leaders
Grey Seer (120)

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear