5kaven5lave

Has anyone here played against Kharadron Overlords since their new tome? Played a mate of mine a couple of times and having zero effect. Not managed to kill a single model while he tables my entire 2k.

I’ve run two very different list, 1st I tried to go all out shooting and try to out shoot him. Didn’t work. He killed my stormfiends before they could do anything, and my WLC didn’t inflict enough damage to take out his frigate or ironclad. Shooting the models garrisoned inside seems pointless given the -1 to hit (or -2 for hero’s) and +1 save. And with his ironclad having 18 wounds, a 3+ save and a 6+ shrug and able to heal it’s impossible to kill.

2nd list I went more melee oriented, but he runs 2 battalions so at 2 drops he can move all 4 ships 9” away from my screen  and kill everything behind it. He took out my Bell before I’d even had a chance to ring it, and when I did charge him with my (already damaged) hellpit, he was able to shoot and kill it before I could combat (some artefact)

Help and advice required please. My latest thought is a Deceiver with Incredible Agility to stop him retreating and just try to pin him down and hope the -2 to hit will keep the verminlord  alive.

6 hours ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Has anyone here played against Kharadron Overlords since their new tome? Played a mate of mine a couple of times and having zero effect. Not managed to kill a single model while he tables my entire 2k.

I’ve run two very different list, 1st I tried to go all out shooting and try to out shoot him. Didn’t work. He killed my stormfiends before they could do anything, and my WLC didn’t inflict enough damage to take out his frigate or ironclad. Shooting the models garrisoned inside seems pointless given the -1 to hit (or -2 for hero’s) and +1 save. And with his ironclad having 18 wounds, a 3+ save and a 6+ shrug and able to heal it’s impossible to kill.

2nd list I went more melee oriented, but he runs 2 battalions so at 2 drops he can move all 4 ships 9” away from my screen  and kill everything behind it. He took out my Bell before I’d even had a chance to ring it, and when I did charge him with my (already damaged) hellpit, he was able to shoot and kill it before I could combat (some artefact)

Help and advice required please. My latest thought is a Deceiver with Incredible Agility to stop him retreating and just try to pin him down and hope the -2 to hit will keep the verminlord  alive.

Give the deciever the gryph feather charm and make him -3 to shooting and -1 in melee.

• Like 1

Got my first game with skaven coming up in a couple weeks, excited not played skaven since mordheim at school! It's a 4 player free for all 1000 points each so should be amazingly chaotic. 😂 

My list is,

Arch-Warlock (160)

- General

- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor

- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator

- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

3 x Stormfiends (260)

- 1x Windlaunchers

- 1x Ratling Cannons

- 1x Doomflayer Gauntlets

3 x Stormfiends (260)

- 1x Windlaunchers

- 1x Ratling Cannons

1 x Doomwheel (160)

1 x Doomwheel (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Will be playing against slaanesh and seraphon that I've never played against as well as my mates kharadron which after their reboot destroyed my gloomspite so looking scary, should be fun 😁

• LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Gypsy_Pistolero said:

Got my first game with skaven coming up in a couple weeks, excited not played skaven since mordheim at school! It's a 4 player free for all 1000 points each so should be amazingly chaotic. 😂 

My list is,

Arch-Warlock (160)

- General

- Command Trait: Deranged Inventor

- Artefact: Vial of the Fulminator

3 x Stormfiends (260)

- 1x Windlaunchers

- 1x Ratling Cannons

3 x Stormfiends (260)

- 1x Windlaunchers

- 1x Ratling Cannons

1 x Doomwheel (160)

1 x Doomwheel (160)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Will be playing against slaanesh and seraphon that I've never played against as well as my mates kharadron which after their reboot destroyed my gloomspite so looking scary, should be fun 😁

Oh, I really like your list, especially the part with the 2Doomwheels and the vial of the fulminator artefact

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Oh, I really like your list, especially the part with the 2Doomwheels and the vial of the fulminator artefact

Thank you 😁 any tips on how to use them effectively? Very rare Iv seen one used at all and when it has its just suicided straight into something without doing much at all

11 hours ago, Gypsy_Pistolero said:

Thank you 😁 any tips on how to use them effectively? Very rare Iv seen one used at all and when it has its just suicided straight into something without doing much at all

Roll some dice and hope they don’t die in the first turn of shooting😂😅.

truth may Be told, nobody really knows what good they are after-all.

Sometimes they’ll be able to kill something 4times their price and other times they just kill more of your dudes  then anything else.

game wise I think they’ll be the perfect choice for disrupting the enemy lines, binding death star shooting units, and dealing a ton of damage to heroes and monsters (just din’t try it out with morathi).

and in the late game they’ll be your objective capturers.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Thanks 1

Was looking through previous tournaments, and someone actually went 4/0/1 with the below list:

Leaders
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- General
- Command Trait: Master of Magic
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Thanquol on Boneripper (400)
- 4 Warpfire Projectors
- Lore of Ruin: Warpgale
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Standard Bell Ringers
- 1x Clawleader
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Clawleader
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Blade
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Clawleader

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 4x Standard Bearers
- 4x Plague Harbingers
--1x bringer of The word
6 x Stormfiends (520)
- 2x Windlaunchers
- 2x Ratling Cannons
- 2x Doomflayer Gauntlets

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Which is actually quite surprising to me, since I've always thought Thanquol to be not worth it's point.

Now, I'm wondering about his casting, he usually has +2 on full hp. Is that an better option math wise then rolling his 3d6 casting ability? When is it better? When he does not have the buff? Quite sure I saw that before on this forum but can't find it anymore...

Edited by Firefrog

4 minutes ago, Firefrog said:

Was looking through previous tournaments, and someone actually went 4/0/1 with the below list:

Which is actually quite surprising to me, since I've always thought Thanquol to be not worth it's point.

Now, I'm wondering about his casting, he usually has +2 on full hp. Is that an better option math wise then rolling his 3d6 casting ability? When is it better? When he does not have the buff? Quite sure I saw that before on this forum but can't find it anymore...

Well considering that you can get him to +4tp cast even, I would say so

12 hours ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

@Gwendar

Have you had a chance to try night runners yet? I remember you talking about them to help zone out against deepstriking. 

I'm thinking of trying my luck with a conversion using clan rats to try out running 10. 

Not yet.. I've been a bit stuck on the last list I used (Fiends\Jezzails\HPA) and haven't really found a way to include 10-20 of them. I don't think I would sacrifice anything in order to get them in their, really. That said, from my latest I could drop 20 Clanrats and throw in 1x10 of them. I could add another 10 in if I dropped Vermintide and a Grey Seer but.. I don't think it's worth losing him at all as I would be down to only 2 heroes.

If I run other variations like the Acolytes\Fiends\HPA or Acolytes\Jezzails\HPA then I would be able to throw in 2x10 or so.. I've mostly dropped WLV from my lists so I save a good amount that way. I may give the 1x10 a go if I get to play this weekend.. or at the monthly meetup.

19 hours ago, Gypsy_Pistolero said:

Skreech probably has more experience using them.. but when I have used them they've done well. Generally I counter deploy them against something trying to hide\squishy heroes.. and they do quite well at taking them out T1 depending how high you roll for movement. They do make very good harrasment units.

48 minutes ago, Firefrog said:

Thanquol isn't bad for his points.. I think the meta at the time sort of left him behind. He was taken a lot when WLV could be cast from 26" away as he was getting up to +3 to cast (or 4 with that Bell, potentially). I think you're seeing him a bit more now as the + to cast helps a lot with all the magic getting thrown around.. and it seems like it'll be even worse once Seraphon get their tome based on today's rules previews. I've been thinking of including him again somehow.. but I dunno how to fit him as I don't want to give up Jezzails, Fiends, or only having 1 Engineer. I may get to theorycrafting something up soon. It's also worth noting that smaller, more localized tournaments can have skewed lists due to whatever the local meta is.. so if the player had a lot of horde armies in their matchups, then Thanquol would be a pretty great choice.

Anyway, yeah someone did the math a long time ago but if I recall I think only having +1 loses out to the 3d6 roll? Could be wrong.. generally I like having +'s to cast over 3d6-pick-lowest but that's just me. 

Edited by Gwendar

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Screaming bell buff, if your lucky at rolling a 7

Check!

And his ability, Power Behind The Throne, if I read it correctly you can't use the ability on the same friendly hero? So you'd actually need 4 hero's to make full use of it? And, just to clarify, his bonus to cast is only to casting, not unbinding/dispelling?

On 3/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, Cosmicsheep said:

This sounds brutal. Maybe try to sacrifice 1 screening unit of clanrats. Place them all the way up there on the edge of the deployment line, make sure the rest of the army is behind in a way they won’t reach them T1 when he deepstrikes to shot.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Darkhan said:

This sounds brutal. Maybe try to sacrifice 1 screening unit of clanrats. Place them all the way up there on the edge of the deployment line, make sure the rest of the army is behind in a way they won’t reach them T1 when he deepstrikes to shot.

Could be a good opportunity to try out Night Runners as we've discussed before. 2x10 to zone out some space would be good.. it's really just going to boil down to being able to destroy those ships in 1-2 turns (a double) before they can do it do you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darkhan said:

This sounds brutal. Maybe try to sacrifice 1 screening unit of clanrats. Place them all the way up there on the edge of the deployment line, make sure the rest of the army is behind in a way they won’t reach them T1 when he deepstrikes to shot

Thanks for the advice. But when he can deploy 9” away and has guns ranged at 24”, i’m always going to be in range. It probably didn’t help that my last game had an 8” deployment zone, so even his 18” guns were in range.

I may have to go back to warp-grinders and keep everything valuable off the table T1

53 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Thanks for the advice. But when he can deploy 9” away and has guns ranged at 24”, i’m always going to be in range. It probably didn’t help that my last game had an 8” deployment zone, so even his 18” guns were in range.

I may have to go back to warp-grinders and keep everything valuable off the table T1

Well considering that you’re playing against the dwarfs, I’d put your elite models or units into woods or overgrown terrain.

and as a second tipp, always have at least a wood in each deployment zone or on the table.

it really helps

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well considering that you’re playing against the dwarfs, I’d put your elite models or units into woods or overgrown terrain.

and as a second tipp, always have at least a wood in each deployment zone or on the table.

it really helps

The problem with this is if he's using ships then they ignore woods\overgrown as they have the fly keyword.

Edited by Gwendar

31 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Oh ok, I always thought that the model with flying rule just doesn’t get the cover rules others get.

never really thought that a flying unit would be able to see through the woods 

Yeah, I think it's what's assumed at first by many people.. but alas that's not the case. The same wording exists on the Citadel Woods warscroll:
image.png.121af21417f7cd028d0d61b4bd4c0267.png

Edited by Gwendar
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys,

Been a while since the skaven had a run out but I have a one day tournament coming up and thought I might dust them off for a run out.

Was thinking of the following list:

Verminlord Warpseer 

Arch warlock

Warlock engineer

Warlock engineer

20x clan rats

20x clan rats

20x clan rats

6x stormfiend 

3x stormfiends 

Warp lightening cannon

Might swap out an engineer for a couple of endless spells.

Anyone think that this will be ok please? 
I just think it will be fun to play.

Swapping one warlock for the Warp Lightning Vortex could really help if you run into any boxey factions but only really if you squeeze in a grey seer somewhere to skitterleap that arch warlock into range where you could unleash his own powerful spell and the vortex. Maybe drop the cannon and an engineer for a warp seer and the vortex and still have 40 for some other endless spell if you want it.

On my own note I hope by putting it here I can be forced to work on it in a timely fashion but after painting one grey seer I have decided to paint my Verminlord. I combined multiple masks to make a proper Skreech Verminking and I'm excited to get him done up.