5kaven5lave

1 hour ago, gronnelg said:

Gnawhole placement. Let's talk-talk about it! 
I usually Place on in the middle of my backline, and then two on each board side in a position where they threaten objectives. 
What are some good placements and considerations you fine gentlerats have come up with?

I like having two in my deployment so that I can do a switch if i need. 

I do like having two further up the board though to put a doomwheel through or to move jezzails up.

Okay I think I've finally settled on my 2k list after much reading and the like.

Skaven clawlord on Brood horror W/ Brutal Fury

Grey seer on bell with Verminous valour trait and skitterleap spell

Grey seer on bell with suspicious stone relic and death frenzy spell

Skreech Verminking

Warlock engineer w/ MMMWP

80 clanrats (40,20,20)

2 Warp lightning  cannons (could be snipers probably but I really like these models)

10 skrye acolytes (I know 10 is an odd number but I needed to fill out some points and they give my warlock something to do besides be near cannons)

On a fluff note do yall think my slightly converted clawlord homage to Queek should be Skulrak Mad-Thing or Skulrak the Mad?

Follow on, do you think having his brood horror be the Ska homage (an oddly loyal guard and mount named Bloodtail) is a snub on Ska or nah?

On 2/19/2020 at 6:02 AM, fishwaffle2232 said:

Every game it has made back its points or better.

I like to recommend one if points are available. True, it does like to have a Warpspark and MMMWP, but they aren't necessary. It's actually quite a good tool to hit those backline\hiding support heroes with low wounds\saves.

6 hours ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

I only really made one mistake and unfortunately it was in deployment and it probably cost me the game. 

I thought I had done a good job at screening everything and had deployed all my value units on the table edge out of flamer range. Unfortunately I left a stupid gap perfect for the changeling to teleport in and charge my 9 jezzails. Seriously, it was a gap perfect for him and I cannot explain why i spent so much time screening only to leave space for him to do what i was trying to stop...Oh well, I'll say that I learnt from it.

he spent the game taking apart my army with spell portal casting. 

Games are often won and lost at deployment, especially against Changehost. As you said, you've learnt from it and that's usually the best way to learn is by experience rather than sitting here and theorycrafting 😉

Also, yeah.. the Spellportal is particularly great for Tzeentch as they can "ignore" the 1 spell through it per turn due to the LoC being able to eat it. So essentially, they throw it out T1, and on T2 they can cast a spell through it, eat it, have it cast again, and throw another spell through it to essentially double-tap with it.

Sounds like you didn't do too terribly though all things said, you learned some things so better luck next time.

1 hour ago, gronnelg said:

Gnawhole placement. Let's talk-talk about it! 
I usually Place on in the middle of my backline, and then two on each board side in a position where they threaten objectives. 
What are some good placements and considerations you fine gentlerats have come up with?

I said it in reply to your comment in my batrep post, but I'll say it here too.

You really gotta take the army you're playing into account. Are they an elite army that can't afford to leave a unit behind to watch one in their backline and you think you can make use of one being there? Throw it back there. If you're playing something that can summon or with tons of cheap bodies like Seraphon... yeah, it will be wasted as they'll cover it without a second thought.

Consider angles of threat; Jezzails are really the best things to teleport with them. I can't tell you how many times I've kept 2 in my deployment\mid table and setup Jezzails to shoot something squishy, only to have them setup another target on the other side of them out of range. T1 they can teleport to the other Gnawhole and get the angle they need to hit them. Of course, against people that are familiar with Skaven, they will see you deploying them within 6" of a Gnawhole and likely see this coming.. still, something to think about 😉

All in all I don't find Gnawholes to be that useful after T1 in most cases. The casting buff and teleporting is nice, but it's likely never going to win you a game so I laugh when I see people claim you "auto-lose" games without them. Because of this, I usually setup 2 on my side if I'm playing an army that is going to threaten me with a T1 charge\double turn. Otherwise, I normally have 1 in my deployment and 2 mid-table. You can snag certain battleplan objectives with this but it isn't something I normally try to strategize towards.

55 minutes ago, gronnelg said:

Oh also... When we give warpstone spark to jezzails... How does that interact with 2MW on 6 to hit?

It only affects damage, not MW's. So you would just do 2 MW's and not 2 MW's + 1 MW\damage I believe. If Jezzails were worded "MW's in addition to normal damage" then it would work this way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

This totally screwed me today when shooting the LoC. Too many 6s not enough 4s and 5s. 

Yeah.. I mean it's worth using if they're in range to get one of the 3 Spark handouts but there's been just as many times that I've rolled no 6's but lots of 4-5's and it's done far more damage. Far too often have I seen things get to 1 wound remaining and I die a little inside everytime they do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So It looks like the next faction are going to get themselves a few more battalions.

Considering that Ironjawz are already a faction with almost the best Battalions given, I really am wondering what’s keeping Gw from giving the skaven some.

Are they in  fear that those white dwarf battalions might be a better option then any in our book?

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

Good day Skaven Warhost!

I'm new to the army, and AoS.  I have 40k experience, but am looking to hop in to ITC tournament play.  Having looked over this thread I've developed two lists that I think may be worth pursuing, and I'm looking for any critique.  Both lists are model heavy, but I love the swarm concept of the Skaven.   The lists would both make use of the Onion Formation on Pg. 138 of this forum's thread, while moving up both board halves; zoning out as much as possible.  In List 2 the SB would be layered by Clanrats on the outer layer, then Plague Monks on the middle, with Clanrats closest to the SB.  Also, in list 2, the Plague Furnace would have an outer layer of Clanrats, with both inner layers being Plague Monks.  

List 1

Grey Seer on SB (Suspicious Stone, Master of Magic, Warpgale, General - Masterclan)

Grey Seer on SB (Death Frenzy)

300 Clanrats (40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 20) - Rusty Blades

List 2

Grey Seer on SB (Suspicious Stone, Master of Magic, Death Frenzy, General - Masterclan)

Plague Priest on Plague Furnace

120 Plague Monks (40, 40, 40) - Foetid Blade & Woe-stave

140 Clanrats (40, 40, 40, 20) - Rusty Blades

7 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So It looks like the next faction are going to get themselves a few more battalions.

Considering that Ironjawz are already a faction with almost the best Battalions given, I really am wondering what’s keeping Gw from giving the skaven some.

Are they in  fear that those white dwarf battalions might be a better option then any in our book?

I really do hope we get some playable battalions. As it stands there really aren't any worth taking for competitive play so we never really have the option to take low drop lists. However, I think skaven are in a pretty good place still, with multiple competitive options. I would just worry that if we do get viable battalions it may tip the balance a bit too much. 

That's no reason not to try though and I really hope we get some love in that regard. 

7 hours ago, Damprag said:

Good day Skaven Warhost!

I'm new to the army, and AoS.  I have 40k experience, but am looking to hop in to ITC tournament play.  Having looked over this thread I've developed two lists that I think may be worth pursuing, and I'm looking for any critique.  Both lists are model heavy, but I love the swarm concept of the Skaven.   The lists would both make use of the Onion Formation on Pg. 138 of this forum's thread, while moving up both board halves; zoning out as much as possible.  In List 2 the SB would be layered by Clanrats on the outer layer, then Plague Monks on the middle, with Clanrats closest to the SB.  Also, in list 2, the Plague Furnace would have an outer layer of Clanrats, with both inner layers being Plague Monks.  

List 1

Grey Seer on SB (Suspicious Stone, Master of Magic, Warpgale, General - Masterclan)

Grey Seer on SB (Death Frenzy)

300 Clanrats (40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40, 20) - Rusty Blades

List 2

Grey Seer on SB (Suspicious Stone, Master of Magic, Death Frenzy, General - Masterclan)

Plague Priest on Plague Furnace

120 Plague Monks (40, 40, 40) - Foetid Blade & Woe-stave

140 Clanrats (40, 40, 40, 20) - Rusty Blades

I like both list, but The second list might be a better choice, since you’ll be able to bring some punch to the battle, something that your first list lacks.

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

How are Rat Ogors? Whats the best way to use them?

Not terrible, though I don't have much play experience with them. They're a cheapish "hammer" but you really need to field them in a larger unit of 4-6 to get use out of them in my opinion. Running them with a Master Moulder will have 6 of them doing ~18 on average vs a 4+.. without a Master Moulder you're looking at ~15. It's a 300-400 point investment either way but the added benefit of the Master Moulder is going to allow you to have the CA that lets you get the unit back on a 5+ if it gets destroyed.. though coming in from the board edge means they may get taken off again or you spend a turn just running to get in range of something to charge.

Alternatively you just run a Packmaster unit with them for the +1 to hit for less.

14 hours ago, Gwendar said:

Not terrible, though I don't have much play experience with them. They're a cheapish "hammer" but you really need to field them in a larger unit of 4-6 to get use out of them in my opinion. Running them with a Master Moulder will have 6 of them doing ~18 on average vs a 4+.. without a Master Moulder you're looking at ~15. It's a 300-400 point investment either way but the added benefit of the Master Moulder is going to allow you to have the CA that lets you get the unit back on a 5+ if it gets destroyed.. though coming in from the board edge means they may get taken off again or you spend a turn just running to get in range of something to charge.

Alternatively you just run a Packmaster unit with them for the +1 to hit for less.

The Master Moulder can also heal them and use the allegiance ability to buff one up to a sort of unit leader

Another batrep up with 2 games from our monthly meetup at the LGS. Ran the Fiend\Jezzail\HPA list variant.. the Stormcast game was over in 20 minutes but that's got a lot to do with me getting a double turn if I'm honest; he played very aggressively his T1 and banked on getting priority.

Anyway, enjoy everyone. List is nice.. I'll keep playing it for the foreseeable future:

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Obeisance said:

Question. How would you deal with two Mawcrushas that can cross the board in a turn?

Yeah.. pretty much what Skreech said. You need something (Clanrats) to take the charge and hope that you get the next turn priority. 6 Stormfiends, 9 Jezzails or 20 Acolytes can all 1-shot it.. though if one of them has Ethereal Amulet it could be swingy with the Jezzails in particular.

Of course, Monks could likely kill it too in 1 go.. but again, etheral makes it a bit harder.

17 minutes ago, Cosmicsheep said:

@Skreech Verminking what do you use for stripping paint? I have some old metal models from the 80s that I painted as a child and would like to redo.

I’ve been using methylated spirit, or fuel for fondue how some Canadian call it.

just keep the model in that liquid for a few hours, and use a old toothbrush afterwards to get rid of the paint.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

@Skreech Verminking that looks great. When is your event and can you share the list? If this is the infamous doomwheel list I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I’ll be taking part at the esc event in Luxembourg, which is going to take place on the 5th-6th of august.

Tye list I’ll be taking with me  looks like this:

Allegiance: Skaventide
LEADERS
Skallog the Mad (120)
Warlock Bombardier
- Artefact : Vial of the Fulminator
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer Sniketrikk (240)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Magic - Lore of Ruin : Death Frenzy
Skaa bloodtail, right claw of clan Mors (100)
Clawlord
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait : Savage Overlord
UNITS
The black furred Gnawers of the deepwarrens (200)
  40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red death (280)
40 x Plague Monks - Foetid Blades
The Messenger of Doom (160)
1 x Doomwheel
The Doomseeker (160)
1 x Doomwheel
1 x Doomwheel (160)
Skalks backstabbering Backstabbers (120)
20 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red Guard (450)
40 x Stormvermin - Halberd & Shield
 TOTAL: 1990/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
WOUNDS: 187
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Been working on clan moulder for skaven always loved the pack animal theme they had going and I have assembled a list for them that I was looking for comments on.  Unsure at this point who to make the general.

Fleshmeld Meangerie

Master Moulder

Master Moulder

Grey Seer on Bell

3x Packmasters

20x Giant Rats

20x Giant Rats

20x Giant Rats

4x Rat Swarms

6x Rat Ogres

Hell-Pit Abomination

Hell-Pit Abomination

Bell of Doom

13 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ll be taking part at the esc event in Luxembourg, which is going to take place on the 5th-6th of august.

Tye list I’ll be taking with me  looks like this:

Allegiance: Skaventide
LEADERS
Skallog the Mad (120)
Warlock Bombardier
- Artefact : Vial of the Fulminator
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism : More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer Sniketrikk (240)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Magic - Lore of Ruin : Death Frenzy
Skaa bloodtail, right claw of clan Mors (100)
Clawlord
- Mighty Warlord Command Trait : Savage Overlord
UNITS
The black furred Gnawers of the deepwarrens (200)
  40 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red death (280)
40 x Plague Monks - Foetid Blades
The Messenger of Doom (160)
1 x Doomwheel
The Doomseeker (160)
1 x Doomwheel
1 x Doomwheel (160)
Skalks backstabbering Backstabbers (120)
20 x Clanrats - Rusty Blade
The red Guard (450)
40 x Stormvermin - Halberd & Shield
 TOTAL: 1990/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
WOUNDS: 187
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4 ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

This list is cool as hell mate. I love it. So different but actually looks quite good. A lot of wounds and 2 heavy hitters with monks and stormvermin. 

The best bit though is those 3 doomwheels. They are either gonna fall flat or really catch people off guard, but what a fun list, other than having to push so many models around. 

Such a unique list , cant wait to hear how you go. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fishwaffle2232 said:

1)This list is cool as hell mate. I love it. So different but actually looks quite good. A lot of wounds and 2 heavy hitters with monks and stormvermin. 

2)The best bit though is those 3 doomwheels. They are either gonna fall flat or really catch people off guard, but what a fun list, other than having to push so many models around. 

Such a unique list , cant wait to hear how you go. 

1)Thanks, although I’m not sure If I have enough bodies to withstand a double turn of an Ironjawz players😂.

I would probably feel much better, if I had at least a 100Clanrats at my disposal.

but that would require me to drop my stormvermins and Clawlord for another 40plague monks and clanrats. (Which would leave me with 80points left for other stuff like a warpgrinder team, 10 monkey rats (nightrunners), etc.)

But considering that I just love my stormvermins (which might do a better job at killing ossiarch bonereapers), I’d rather go with the list given in my last post😁.

2)yeah, those 3Doomwheels will be my trouble makers.

They will either do what I want them to do, or the exact opposite of it😂.

Now I’m not going to go too deeply into my strategy for using those wheels of true doom, But they’ll be my harassing kamikaze pilots😂😋.