5kaven5lave

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Ye, probably. More curious what people think about 2x warp cannons 👀

I mean, definitely great against those 5 wound heroes (or bigger if you overcharge) but I don't think they're broken by any means.

That said when I used to run them I had so many people get confused at how they fire and some even thinking it was BS that it would just do MW's without having to roll to hit\wound despite numerous other things in the game that do the same thing. If I were them I'd be more afraid of MMMWP + Sparked Fiends over some WLC's.

What do you think of this list as an allround list?

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic
Warlock Bombardier (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
6 x Stormfiends (520)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Warp Lightning Vortex (100)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 166

9 hours ago, gronnelg said:

How do you guys deal with armies that have good saves? E.g. SCE with lots of sequitors, and now OBR?
We have good MW output, but I feel like that weakens our genereal fighting ability so much.

Not a competitive player so apply salt: 

I think the idea is that hopefully you avoid combat with them, and if you are in combat, you're able to make saves and survive. You should have better movement to grab objectives, more bodies to hold/take them, and hopefully grind out the game to win in points.  

I also have a general philosophy (that I would invite others to weigh in on) that if you find yourself in combat, you want to do things in a way that requires your opponent to make more saves.  Even though something like a Bombardier has a single shot 2d6 damage attack, that one shot, on average, will get through less often than something that will require your opponent to make ~7 saves even at 4+

• Like 1

I have a question about the gnawholes. Can I cast skitterleap on the Corruptor, appear within range of a gnawhole, nuke a blob with Dreaded Plague, and vanish back to safety in that movement phase? 

I sort of doubt it because of the last sentence about the gnawhole ability 

45 minutes ago, Chase said:

I have a question about the gnawholes. Can I cast skitterleap on the Corruptor, appear within range of a gnawhole, nuke a blob with Dreaded Plague, and vanish back to safety in that movement phase? 

I sort of doubt it because of the last sentence about the gnawhole ability 

You totally can do that. It's in the  Skaventide Battletome FAQ 
image.png.68f48f7fe05330e6f3d8e57d41b235bd.png

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gronnelg said:

How do you guys deal with armies that have good saves? E.g. SCE with lots of sequitors, and now OBR?
We have good MW output, but I feel like that weakens our genereal fighting ability so much.

I’ve been using 2 flamethrower weapons teams for such instances .

it may have weak stats, with only 3 wounds and a +6 save, but can deal enormous damage to any hordes.

if you don’t want to spend to many points on something, i think this unit will be very use-full, if kept alive.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ve been using 2 flamethrower weapons teams for such instances .

it may have weak stats, with only 3 wounds and a +6 save, but can deal enormous damage to any hordes.

if you don’t want to spend to many points on something, i think this unit will be very use-full, if kept alive.

I tried this a couple of weeks ago and it works great on things like Dispossessed and Ironweld. I had a flamethrower wrapped in 40 clanrats for protection but then wondered whether that would be enough protections?

Can someone shoot at my flamethrower if it’s inside a unit of 40? How does line of sight work? If they can see any part of my flamethrower can they target it? How else can we protect our flamethrowers?

1 hour ago, Cosmicsheep said:

Can someone shoot at my flamethrower if it’s inside a unit of 40? How does line of sight work? If they can see any part of my flamethrower can they target it? How else can we protect our flamethrowers?

yes your weapon teams can be a targeted by units shooting it.

still it usually means that a your frenemy has to make a decision, that can be rather difficult to make, when you have many threads in range.

as for protection. Anything big, like for example stormfiends or Hell pits, Doomwheels etc. Can be great line of sight blocking models.

• Like 2

Not that much to do at work today, so instead I made this list:

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement
Grey Seer (140)
- Lore of Ruin: Death Frenzy
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
10 x Gutter Runners (120)
10 x Gutter Runners (120)
10 x Night Runners (80)
10 x Night Runners (80)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 210

A list that basically wants to march across and smash face. The clanrats can screen and grabs objectives. The night runners are there to screen alpha strikes, with their extra movement after setup. The gutter runners might be superfluous actually, but it does give the opponent something to think about.  A list that is weak against good saves, which I tried to mitigate somewhat with Sword of Judgement, and the plague furnace. 

What do you think?

Thoughts on lists using 9 fiends and 40 monks? Too much or?

here is an idea:

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (300)
Arch-Warlock (160)
- General
- Trait: Deranged Inventor  
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector  
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
9 x Stormfiends (780)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades

Soulscream Bridge (80)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

8 hours ago, Chase said:

they look pretty meh to me. Am I missing something?

Nope, you sure aren't 😉

Now, I will say that there could be some merit to Arkhspark + Gascloud and some successful lists have been run using that combo (with Fiends, of course) in tournament settings... but they typically don't do nearly as well as lists that just bring more bodies and still have in the 9 Fiends\40 Monks on top of all the Clanrats + supporting wizards which you really have a hard time squeezing in (and ruin your potential 1-drop list) all of that on top of what's already required to take.

• Thanks 1

What do you guys think about using the Deceivers Gnawbomb instead of casting the bridge? Seems more reliable to me.

Dreaded Skitterleap, Gnawbomb... Sup ******

Edit: Maybe not more reliable because both cast on 6. But in terms of options, choosing any terrain on the board rather than wholly within 24" of the caster (if you use the full possible range).

Edited by Chase

8 hours ago, Chase said:

What do you guys think about using the Deceivers Gnawbomb instead of casting the bridge? Seems more reliable to me.

Edit: Maybe not more reliable because both cast on 6. But in terms of options, choosing any terrain on the board rather than wholly within 24" of the caster (if you use the full possible range).

Suppose that could work, just remember that Gnawbomb is opg however whereas bridge can be recast as needed.

Though... yeah, you'll typically only need to use that bridge once, decimate their army (or 1-2 key units) and then you're generally in a good board position to walk to any remaining targets. Something to keep in mind as well is that the bridge can take multiple units at once whereas Gnawholes cannot.

11 hours ago, Chase said:

Well, The ganwbomb is great, sadly there are just a few slight problem.

for example you will need for that truck to work a grey seer casting skitterleap onto a hero or your warlock and the deceiver (who costs a fortune) to cast dreaded skitterleap onto the hero throwing the bomb.

The next problem will be the injector you’ll have to give up on.

if you don’t want to do so, you’ll have to pay for another 280point for a useless hero and battailon to get that artefact.

basically you would be paying a fortune for such a complicated step,  making it almost impossible to wield a unit of plague monks, your backline in desperate times.

loosing them will mean a guaranteed loss when unable to destroy the most hard-hitting unit of your opponent. Basically making the list a well very dicey game, especially against daughter of khaine armies.

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

For example you will need for that truck to work a grey seer casting skitterleap onto a hero or your warlock and the deceiver (who costs a fortune) to cast dreaded skitterleap onto the hero throwing the bomb.

Can he not just Dreaded Skitterleap himself and throw the bomb?

Edited by Chase

39 minutes ago, Chase said:

Can he not just Dreaded Skitterleap himself and throw the bomb?

Right forgot that he is an assassin as well.

still you’ll be needing a grey seer To cast skitterleap onto you warlock, because that one guy is basically what 

makes your unit of 9stormfiends into real killers. And thats still a huge investment.

19 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

still you’ll be needing a grey seer To cast skitterleap onto you warlock, 

I guess yeah, that's the big one. Ill mostly always run screaming bell so that's ok. But giving up death frenzy would be difficult. I suppose I'll just save it for beerhammer because it sounds fun. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:48 AM, gronnelg said:

I think the others gave some excellent suggestions. My strat against stormcast or fyreslayers has been to do the whole tag 'em on the side trick with clanrats, especially with the 40 blocks of them. I don't ever plan on killing them, but tactically its all in your favor by removing their melee effectiveness. Speaking of tactics, during deployment you can get an edge. If I know that they have high saves but are slow moving, I'll do a purposeful split of my army's power keeping one pod with high mobility. As soon as they commit to your side with slow as heck dudes just run away. I can't tell you how many times I've felt like I've removed units from the game, if only for a few turns, by having an opponent over commit to the power projection and underestimating the natural speed of skaven units AND our sneaky movement shenanigans. Keeping your gnawholes on your side of the field makes for an easy way to do this. 

• Like 1

@Chase I'm so happy you asked. Firstly,  how many DOOMWHEELS do you have? I must assume you have some, otherwise what's the point of playing filthy rats?

Right to the point. Whyrlblade Threshnik is my new favorite thing. So you read it and go "eh, +3 move. Mediocre!"

Wrong-o my friend. 

Notice it does not say "normal move". This means my maniacally laughing skaven player is that its +3 move in the movement phase, +3 move in the charge phase and +3 move in the pile in! Other armies wish they had that bonus. Imagine a world where Stormfiends have +3 move and charge. Hot damn. It even took me a few play throughs with this until I realized it affects your warlock as well. Spicy. It can keep up with the fast movers. 

And I haven't even mentioned the DOOMWHEELS, oh wait, I have. 4d6+3 move please and thank you. Combine with Cogs to get extra room to run things over efficiently for free MW's. 

Enjoy.

Edited by Riff_Raff_Rascal
  • LOVE IT! 1