5kaven5lave

49 minutes ago, Num said:

I didnt play with the battletome yet, but my feeling from reading the book is that their spell lore suffers from the comparison with the grey seers'. To me, they feel more like support characters for skryre (more more warp, or boosting cannons). I don't feel they make much sense in lists with too few skryre? I'm hesitating between clans for  specializing my support (moulder+packmasters or skryre+wizards). I may be tempted to run a single arch warlock behind a pack of clanrats to chain some small mortal wounds though

How do you use or intend to use the skryre wizards?

In 1500+ point games I might bring one or 2 to support stormfiends/cannons. I feel like moulder and rat ogre combos are more efficient for the 1000 pt games I've been playing recently. Warpstone sparks damage buff and rerolling skryre missile weapons on stormfiends or ratling guns are very good, but it can be expensive and take up a large chunk of your list.  Grey Seers are just better overall for skaventide lists, skryre wizards are more like packmasters/master moulders now - clan specific support heroes that don't have much use if your list doesn't have skryre units to benefit from them. 

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

Gnawholes have the potential to be very handy, but a canny opponent will not find it to difficult to stop you making use of them if they want to. 

Totally true, it’s also definitely an advantage to make your opponent have to do something they don’t want to, or make a difficult choice, even if it results in them deploying just half an inch out of their desired location. 

27 minutes ago, Luca said:

Hello i have one question if my general is skyre or master clan, my clan rats can be skyre battleline whit stomfiends and acolytes, or only stomfiends and acolytes?

Stormfiends or Acolytes can be battleline if everything in the army is Clans Skryre (Clanrats are not Clans Skryre). The only exception is that the general can be Masterclan.

16 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

The Warpgnaw used to be able to take a unit through the cracks in reality with it as well. Grumble.

Where are you getting this updated info from? Both the PDF under the model and the book in the downloads section with (C) 2019 still says it can.

From the card:

Instead of setting up this model on the battlefield, you can place this model to one side and say that it is moving through the cracks in reality as a reserve unit. If you do so, when you would set up 1 other friendly Skaven unit, instead of setting up that unit on the battlefield, you can say that it is joining this model moving through the cracks in reality as a reserve unit – up to 1 unit can join this model in this way.

At the end of your movement phase, you can set up this model anywhere on the battlefield, more than 9" from any enemy units; then set up any unit that joined this model wholly within 6" of this model and more than 9" from any enemy units. Any units moving through the cracks in reality that are not set up on the battlefield before the start of the fourth battle round are slain.

Is there an updated card somewhere other than on FW's site?

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Peepz in the know! 

Who knows, or is willing to take a quick look, the diameter of the Gnaw Holes? 
They are too similar for my taste so i'm going to at least convert two up to be more 'hidden' Gnawholes that fit my terrain collection. Not to mention the price. 

They are too similar because you receive 3 of the exact same thing.  Basically, the rocky part is 6 pieces. alternating sets of 3 that can be moved around a bit to look slightly different.  The wooden pieces assemble into 3 straight pieces with 2 supports. that connect to the base. All 3 places for these are the same, so you can interchange them.  If we label the 3 wooden assemblies A, B, C, On the box art, the gnaw holes are assembled like: AAB.... ABC... BCC, so that the 3 gnaw holes don't all have the exact same plastic. From above the wooden assemblies form the skaven triangle.  

You could build your own wooden structure out of the bits, it would be more difficult/time consuming and wouldn't hold up to scrutiny as well (brackets/wraps/grain on connection points won't line up), but I think I may do it just to not have near identical models. 

4 hours ago, Zuriaxis said:

$55 for gnawholes ... I think I'll pass.

3 hours ago, Professor Clio said:

Keep in mind you get three in the box and they’re pretty big. Not cheap but by GW standards not overpriced. 

It is a lot of plastic, which would be cheap for GW standards (especially based on the gloomspite prices, $80 for 1 large sprue, ouch), but terrain is made in China so it's not the same premium pricing.  

It certainly feels  required to have gnaw holes (or proxies) to play Skaven since they are free. I got mine for $42 (~$5 off internet price) and I am not real upset about it, except for the fact that all 3 are identical without any significant amount of customization designed in. 

11 minutes ago, Dstinct said:

Where are you getting this updated info from? Both the PDF under the model and the book in the downloads section with (C) 2019 still says it can.

From the card:

Is there an updated card somewhere other than on FW's site?

Theres a newer one in the app that has the exact same text except the middle portion, talking about taking another unit, is  removed, with publication date of Feb 2019.

@Dstinct I think @Kirjava13 is mixing up the Warpgrinder weapon team with the Stormfiends with Grinderfists. At least from the book:

Stormfiends with Grinderfists cannot take another unit with them and can only use their ability to deploy the stormfiend unit they are part of on the table.

Warpgrinder can take one other unit (that is not a warmachine and/or a monster) along with it when it is placed anywhere on the table. 

Edit - wait I'm the slow one you're all on about the Warpgnaw!! 
*goes and hides somewhere*

Edited by Overread

2 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Totally true, it’s also definitely an advantage to make your opponent have to do something they don’t want to, or make a difficult choice, even if it results in them deploying just half an inch out of their desired location. 

Especially when you can then use the Gnawbomb artifact in combo with a skitterleap to create a surprise gnawhole.

• Like 1

Just now, Dstinct said:

@Vaeron Im new to AoS. When GW dropped the new books, they updated all the scrolls on their site as far as I can see. Is FW usually slower, or could the app be wrong?

Fw is normally slower yes. They've also been shuffling the staff around in FW quite a bit recently so its likely a bit more mad in there than normal. I hope they update the scrolls soonish - I've my eye on those wolfrats

3 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

The forgeworld scroll is from July.

It's from January 2019, but I guess that's still older than the Feb one in the app. The downloads page on the outside says "July 2018", but if you open the pdf, it says (c) 2019 and the points page says "Updated January 2019".

It's kind of dumb that they can't keep this page up to date. My data on my phone sucks, so I don't want to install an app just to keep up to date with stuff that I can download on my comp at home. I was looking at it a couple of days ago. Glad I didn't grab it, or I'd be pissed. That's a huge rule change.

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

They are too similar because you receive 3 of the exact same thing.  Basically, the rocky part is 6 pieces. alternating sets of 3 that can be moved around a bit to look slightly different.  The wooden pieces assemble into 3 straight pieces with 2 supports. that connect to the base. All 3 places for these are the same, so you can interchange them.  If we label the 3 wooden assemblies A, B, C, On the box art, the gnaw holes are assembled like: AAB.... ABC... BCC, so that the 3 gnaw holes don't all have the exact same plastic. From above the wooden assemblies form the skaven triangle.  

You could build your own wooden structure out of the bits, it would be more difficult/time consuming and wouldn't hold up to scrutiny as well (brackets/wraps/grain on connection points won't line up), but I think I may do it just to not have near identical models. 

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the update!

I don't like the mismatch between the fluff and the models. For me that's the biggest gripe. I do get that they need to earn back the design cost and all players only buy it once. But it is such a big deal in the book that every clan has their own style, and they're always hidden, mysterious and the best of all is the hidden one behind the throne of the Horned Rat in the council of 13. all super stylish and narratively solid, but then the models are just a well with slightly magical looking water :S  

Played against deepkin with

Allegiance: Skaventide

Leaders
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
- General
- Trait: Master of Magic 
- Artefact: Suspicious Stone 
Grey Seer (120)
- Lore of Ruin: Skitterleap
Arch-Warlock (160)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism: More-more-more Warp Power!

Battleline
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)
1 x Warpfire Thrower (70)

War Machines
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 165

Great fun.  Strong list!  I won 21-20 in the final round.  More-more warp power is very strong.  I love 3d6 spellcasting.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, Fabint said:

I feel like they have some of the best artifacts in the book, and they're definitely pretty good at stabbin'.  If Gutter Runners weren't so expensive ($15 for 3??), I'd almost definitely be running Eshin.

Maybe just use Skavenblight Scramblers?

They look Eshin enough, even got Punch Daggers/Claws. The only issue I think is all the balls they have (they're smoke bombs! Warpstone smokebombs!)

99120906001_SkavenBBTeam01.jpg

Can we talk about the StormFiends load out?

If I'm reading it right, we can mix weapons as long as it's not more than 1/3 of the unit.

So we could mix melee centric models with shooty models (which I dont think we could have done via the Chaos book).

In extreme, I could have a 6 man unit with 1 of each loadout, correct?

Edited by bushman101